Lend me your ears

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made/posted this awhile ago.

Just listened to it now and I am hearing things I didn't hear before.

what do YOU hear?

Main thing is I don't hear much difference between the remo coated ambassador (head #2) and the Remd Classic Fiberskyn Diplomat(head #3)

I actually kind of like the fiberskyn better...

Deafmoon

Reaction score
The Fiberskyn had warmth and was a bit darker for the tuning you have. I don't think you retuned the bottom head at any time, because all the tone was the same, but the Fiberskyn appealed to my ears more. Now, you already invested in alot of heads there, but have you tried a Remo Vintage Emperor? Those heads have collars built for older drums with wraps, I believe your drums are 70's Slingerland? Check them out they are double ply but they can be tuned higher and add nice warmth.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

what do YOU hear?

Main thing is I don't hear much difference between the remo coated ambassador (head #2) and the Remd Classic Fiberskyn Diplomat(head #3)

On my ear buds, the Diplomat Fiberskyn was slightly louder and more resonant than the coated Ambassador.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Fiberskyn had warmth and was a bit darker for the tuning you have. I don't think you retuned the bottom head at any time, because all the tone was the same, but the Fiberskyn appealed to my ears more. Now, you already invested in alot of heads there, but have you tried a Remo Vintage Emperor? Those heads have collars built for older drums with wraps, I believe your drums are 70's Slingerland? Check them out they are double ply but they can be tuned higher and add nice warmth.
Correct. Bottom head clear Ambassador same tuning.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
The remo classics are built for vintage drums.
My 12x8 and 14 and snare are 1960s
16 bd is a converted floor tom from 1971

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

what do YOU hear?

If I may ask, what did you record that video with?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The FD sounds great indeed. I used them for a while, but replaced them with coates Ambassadors on the Gretsch NC. Old ones, that is. Question: how new was the Ambassador? A new one might have to break in and sound a bit more mellow after a while. Fiberskyn has this from the start, but a bit darker to my ear. Does the tom have "stick chopper" hoops (inward flange)? In my case, it was die-cast hoops, and I missed some overtones after a while. Not the case here, sounds just right to me.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
The FD sounds great indeed. I used them for a while, but replaced them with coates Ambassadors on the Gretsch NC. Old ones, that is. Question: how new was the Ambassador? A new one might have to break in and sound a bit more mellow after a while. Fiberskyn has this from the start, but a bit darker to my ear. Does the tom have "stick chopper" hoops (inward flange)? In my case, it was die-cast hoops, and I missed some overtones after a while. Not the case here, sounds just right to me.
It was a newer ambassador. Also, the bottom head on all the examples was a clear ambassador! That makes a difference. I like that combo....but I also love the fiberskyns on both sides. Great tone.

Yes, 1960s stick choppers baby. LOVE THEM. My favorite rims ever.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Clear ambassador on the bottom does bring out something else within the top head. It's not just the bottom ringing differently. I like coated over clear Ambassador, but I have to give the coated reso another chance.

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Why do most of your videos come out as portrait and not landscape using that camera?
Hmm. No clue. I can look in my camera settings.

I think I can change the settings.

Yeah for instance this is obviously full .

Thanks for that insight. I should change it to full screen/landscape