Less DW Exposure on TV?

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m seeing less DW kits on TV whether it be commercials or shows with bands. I know NYE there was a band performing and the drummer was playing Pearl. Just saw a commercial with Tama drums. Not a big deal but are drummers finally waking up to other drums than DW?

stevesmithfan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m seeing less DW kits on TV whether it be commercials or shows with bands. I know NYE there was a band performing and the drummer was playing Pearl. Just saw a commercial with Tama drums. Not a big deal but are drummers finally waking up to other drums than DW?

I believe you’re correct.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see DW drums nearly as much as I used to. Back in the early1990s it seemed that Yamaha was everywhere but then by mid decade DW came on strong and you (or at least I) hardly ever saw anything else on TV. Hardly ever saw a Ludwig, and Gretsch even less. If a drummer wasn't using DW it was usually a Yamaha. Lately there seems to be less of a monopoly by any one brand with a lot more presence by Ludwig and Gretsch.

I'm strictly speaking of the drums actually being used by drummers for televised performances by them or their group, not drums appearing in TV commercials.

Of course I watch very little TV these days so I may not be the best person to judge.

Last edited:

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Can a trend be evident from viewing one show and one commercial?

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing fewer DW kits in TV commercials and shows doesn't have anything to do with drummers not wanting DW. It has more to do with production companies using other brands on commercials and TV shows, most likely due to their willingness to do a product placement deal i.e. provide them FOC.

Unless I misunderstood the OP. Does anyone remember the 80s? And how Pearl was everywhere? Sometimes a production company will call SIR and they bring whatever they have available at the time.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think theres a Slingerland concert tom kit in a Walgreens commercial.

Just sayin.
Yes, walnut finish with the metal edges on the tom bottom shell edges. You could even see the badge. For me it definitely made the scene seem more real, since it couldn't have been a product-placement deal.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, walnut finish with the metal edges on the tom bottom shell edges. You could even see the badge. For me it definitely made the scene seem more real, since it couldn't have been a product-placement deal.

Except that DW is bringing back Slingerland................

dale w miller

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Seeing fewer DW kits in TV commercials and shows doesn't have anything to do with drummers not wanting DW. It has more to do with production companies using other brands on commercials and TV shows, most likely due to their willingness to do a product placement deal i.e. provide them FOC.

Unless I misunderstood the OP. Does anyone remember the 80s? And how Pearl was everywhere? Sometimes a production company will call SIR and they bring whatever they have available at the time.

Unless it’s a drummer with an endorsement, I can’t see a director or set designer caring about anything other than its color.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So yeah, a shame about DW losing so much ground to Gretsch...LOL!

DW may not be as dominant as it once was, but they're still making money hand over fist, and now they own two other iconic brands, and they'll revive Slingerland and no doubt people will like it, just like they do Gretsch.

Reaction score
Every major younger urban pop act still uses DW, every major younger alt pop band uses mostly Gretsch is my observation.

Ludwig with the younger non ir just signed brands, but as they make profile they usually switch to Gretsch.

Tama and Peal have mostly older, dedicated long time endorsees like Brian Frasier more (Pearl), and Lil john Roberts (Tama)

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When MTV came on the air in the early 80's - Tama was the "it" drum company. It seemed like every single euro new wave/pop band had Tama drums in the video. Duran Duran, The English Beat, Culture Club, Nena (99 Balloons), The Icicle Works (Tama rep once told me they moved a lot of Octoban units off the "Whisper to A Scream" video along with the "Wrapped Around Your Finger" video from The Police) - Tama seemed to have had all of the artists with heavy rotation videos on their roster. Add in the big 3 of Stewart, Simon and Neil who also were in heavy rotation videos (I drooled over Simon's double bass metallic white kit in the Let My Love Open The Door video), a couple of A List Jazz players like Elvin and Cobham, and a slew of spandex metal guys in bands like Dio and Dokken, and round out the decade with Lars in Metallica and Adler in G&R - and Hoshino moved a TON of Tama drums in the 80s. The local Venamen and Chuck Levin's store here in the DMV could not keep Tama kits in stock. There were 8 week wait times even for their Swingstar kits. It seemed as if every drummer I knew had to have a Tama kit, and even non-musicians knew Tama. I remember girls in high school telling me they did not know drums, but knew I had a nice drumset because they said Tama on them - just like the drums they saw on MTV and in magazines. Mind you - this is when MTV showed videos 24/7, there were only 20 stations on the cable tv package, no internet - and Rolling Stone, Circus, Creem and Tiger Beat were viable magazines with robust teen subscriber base. Tama ran print ads in those magazines. I can still remember seeing Simon's print-ad for Swingstar in Circus and now knowing that I could get an actual kit that said Tama on it at a price point my parents and I could afford (and I got them the following Christmas). Hoshino's marketing strategy in the 80's was A+ - they were everywhere and had a quality product line on top of it.

Last edited:

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When MTV came on the air in the early 80's - Tama was the "it" drum company. It seemed like every single euro new wave/pop band had Tama drums in the video. Duran Duran, The English Beat, Culture Club, Nena (99 Balloons), The Icicle Works (Tama rep once told me they moved a lot of Octoban units off the "Whisper to A Scream" video along with the "Wrapped Around Your Finger" video from The Police) - Tama seemed to have had all of the artists with heavy rotation videos on their roster. Add in the big 3 of Stewart, Simon and Neil who also were in heavy rotation videos (I drooled over Simon's double bass metallic white kit in the Let My Love Open The Door video), a couple of A List Jazz players like Elvin and Cobham, and a slew of spandex metal guys in bands like Dio and Dokken, and round out the decade with Lars in Metallica and Adler in G&R - and Hoshino moved a TON of Tama drums in the 80s. The local Venamen and Chuck Levin's store here in the DMV could not keep Tama kits in stock. There were 8 week wait times even for their Swingstar kits. It seemed as if every drummer I knew had to have a Tama kit, and even non-musicians knew Tama. I remember girls in high school telling me they did not know drums, but knew I had a nice drumset because they said Tama on them - just like the drums they saw on MTV and in magazines. Mind you - this is when MTV showed videos 24/7, there were only 20 stations on the cable tv package, no internet - and Rolling Stone, Circus, Creem and Tiger Beat were viable magazines with robust teen subscriber base. Tama ran print ads in those magazines. I can still remember the seeing Simon's print-ad for Swingstar in Circus and now knowing that I could get an actual kit that said Tama on it at a price point my parents and I could afford (and I got them the following Christmas). Hoshino's marketing strategy in the 80's was A+ - they were everywhere and had a quality product line on top of it.
Totally agree. I witnessed the rise and domination of Tama firsthand, working in drum retail in Boston from 1979-1985.

My reference to Pearl being everywhere in the 80s was more the mid 80s onward, on TV shows like Solid Gold and Star Search (remember them?) When Pearl opened their LA office in the 80s, it gave them a foothold on TV shows. But no doubt Tama led the pack in sales for a good part of the 1980s.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Every major younger urban pop act still uses DW, every major younger alt pop band uses mostly Gretsch is my observation.

Ludwig with the younger non ir just signed brands, but as they make profile they usually switch to Gretsch.

Tama and Peal have mostly older, dedicated long time endorsees like Brian Frasier more (Pearl), and Lil john Roberts (Tama)

Where are you basing this on? That’s not at all what I’ve seen in the US or UK.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Don’t think I’ve ever seen a drum commercial on TV.