Less is more, what is this obsession with speed?

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Less isn't more. Less is less, and more is more.

When are you going too fast? It's like when you're overplaying. You're probably not really doing either, you're just not pulling it off.
Beat me to it .....

I get really tired of being told that old line .
Simple is not always best either ...

pjmariner

Reaction score
Beyond crazy fills, faster tempo endurance to me is best reason to work on sustained speed.

A good example is although I can play considerably faster for a couple bars, I to this day cannot play one handed 16th notes on the hi-hat to "keep foregttin" for the entire song without "cheating", resting, etc. About 1 min in the misery begins, and after that I start to improve to make it through the song. lol

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need both slow and fast regardless of the music you play. Practicing various speeds makes you (overall) more proficient in any setting. The proof is in playing songs that have tempo changes and how well you adapt to the changes. If you only focus your playing at "slow or fast" individually, you aren't going to do well when the tempo changes.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hearing a drummer hold down and swing a 47 bpm blues jam makes the audience go "man this band is GOOD."

Hearing a drummer blaze a speedy, accurate fill all over the kit makes the audience go "man this DRUMMER is good."

Boom: obsession with speed.

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
Developing anything as a drummer is just expanding your vocabulary. The larger your vocabulary, the easier it is to express the ideas in your head. Developing speed is just another example of this. Besides, how are you going to play the “Flintstones theme” if you can’t play fast!

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've heard that one way of playing sounds great, and all the others are garbage. Of course it's never the same one good way depending on who you talk to.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hearing a drummer hold down and swing a 47 bpm blues jam makes the audience go "man this band is GOOD."

Hearing a drummer blaze a speedy, accurate fill all over the kit makes the audience go "man this DRUMMER is good."

Boom: obsession with speed.
BahHhHHHahahaaaaa

T_Weaves

Reaction score
I can watch that Carter McLean guy play those lovely, slow grooves all day. So no, fast isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Shocked that Journey hasn't contacted him yet.
He is a good guy; well known in the genre. I have told him this before: “I fully respect your talent and ability but I can’t stand the way you play. “ Tough Aussie could care less that he is not most folks cup of tea. Just painful in more ways then one.

bonsritmos

Reaction score
well , there are a couple of things to consider . i love up modal bop , up samba , up gua gua co , and other afro diasporic power grooves .they get me off and let me fight my demons and express myself . many traditional african drum dance musics , like gula wamkala nyao , ogeno bell parts , etc can be ferociosly fast and energetic , and i love it.

second , the optimum way to deal with up modal bop , is relaxed , and you need to have touch at a fast tempo and the most imprtant thing , other cats who can play well . without that you are going no where but a hard night. but when you have cats who love up modal bop and have played it on the bandstand long enough with the right cats , and time to learn the tricks , there is nothing like it. every one is holding hands and everyone is letting you know where they are at so you can actualy relax and feel the space time which means to really play up tempos , you have to hear the long meter underneath .

so even if your playing lots of notes because its fast , you are actualy holding hands with your bandmates , relaxing to be able to pace yourself and your bandmates are giving you lots of time so people can almost relax a moment while someone else hits the one ( or anticipation in cutting edge samba ).

that is kind of like using space
check out one of those up blues miles in europe youtubes with wayne , and on waynes solo , they get really soft and just lay a carpet of air that is going a million miles an hour. they know each others playing so they dont have to give accents all the time , but it is another dimenion of up modal bop

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think the obsession with speed goes way back; it's something a non-musician can relate to more easily than how musically a given drummer plays. Barrett Deems and BR were both touted for their ability to play fast. That said, having fast limbs is much less valuable than having fast ears.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of good stuff in this thread fellas, but I think we lost Stalky55, the OP. Might be playing bass for a living now, can't blame him, it's a lot easier. Oh well, keep it coming, I'm enjoying the opinions!

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
speed is pointless if you aren't precise.
slow and precise is more important than fast and not precise.