Let’s see your Luxor and Powertone snares!

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
After all the acclaim in that recent “best wood snare” thread, I had to get a wood Powertone. Did some hunting, and saw mostly either high prices I didn’t want to pay or poor condition I didn’t want to buy. Saw that Luxors go for a lot less, and I’ve wanted to try a six lug snare anyway. So I picked this one up at a no-brainer price, and replaced its crappy throwoff with the new production clockface.

What a killer drum!!! Super expressive and toneful. I figured I could flip it and not lose anything, but it’s a keeper.

DD18C82E-A030-46E7-A029-991E473B207C.jpeg
CA63DA89-8544-4B58-BA17-9B127912BA1A.jpeg

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve got two Luxor’s awaiting restoration. I’ll have to get on it. Sounds like I’ll like them!

Last edited:

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm in love with 6 and 8 lug Rogers wood snares. They are all I play, exceot my 6.5" COB Powertone occasionally.

The last two pics are Luxors, the rest are Powertones.

Powertone Collage.jpg

Badge Assembled.jpg

Badge Side Complete.jpg

Wildwood Badge.jpg

04 Badge Assembled Cropped.jpg

05 Badge Cropped.jpg

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
No pic of it by itself. Here's one of my Luxors. I've got another I'm working on that's just a wreck.
IMG_0175.jpg
Rusted, brush painted black. But, it was complete, the shell's fine. $5.00 at a yard sale. Think it's gonna get the "rat rod" approach.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got a set of the Canopus Vintage Dry wires for my Luxor, and they are a perfect choice. I tried a few different wire sets, and they all sounded good, but when I threw these Canopus on there it was an instant “oh heck yeah!” for the deep, snappy but dark jazz sound I like.
2B076AA4-D652-4ADE-BB1B-D8382A372859.jpeg

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got a set of the Canopus Vintage Dry wires for my Luxor, and they are a perfect choice. I tried a few different wire sets, and they all sounded good, but when I threw these Canopus on there it was an instant “oh heck yeah!” for the deep, snappy but dark jazz sound I like.
View attachment 422459
The Canopus Dry were modeled after Slingerland's Snappy Snares, which were great wires!

-Mark

SaranacJack

Reaction score
Great question. I did as much "research" as possible online... but what sealed the deal for me last year was this video from the Memphis drum shop where they compare a re-issue to an original 6.5x14"

The newer ones sound a tad brighter, maybe a tiny bit thinner (maybe), but overall a phenominal drum. Likely just the wood maturing/mellowing for the original one as Bill and team producing the new Dyna's are doing a top knotch job to say the least. The onyx wrap they're using is spot on as well, as seen in the pics. While the only Cleveland blue onyx I have is that Luxor, the re-issue matches my Dayton Blue Onyx kit quite nicely.

I just purchased a 5 x 14" blue onyx original Dynasonic from Revival Drum Shop that popped up a few weeks ago as I doubt I'll ever see an original 6.5" in my lifetime (or at least in my price range) and an original dynasonic has been a bucket list drum for decades. The folks at Revival are fantastic, the drum is in mint condition and they were a pleasure to work with. Kudos to them!

4B32F0CA-A48E-4DE0-B649-352AC07EB528.jpeg

Hope this helps!

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
It does. And I actually played your “new” drum last week! (Unless they had a second one like it) They didn’t have a price tag on it, but it was easily one of the best sounding snares in the shop that day, so I had to ask. Good choice snagging it.

SaranacJack

Reaction score
It does. And I actually played your “new” drum last week! (Unless they had a second one like it) They didn’t have a price tag on it, but it was easily one of the best sounding snares in the shop that day, so I had to ask. Good choice snagging it.
That’s awesome, what a small world!

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Luxor is my favourite snare drum. I bought it from someone on here around 10 years ago, and took this picture just after unboxing it.

I got it to match this 20", 12", 16" Cleveland kit, which, a couple of years later, I stupidly sold back to the guy I'd bought it from.

Latest posts