header.nohb.html

Let me get this straight...

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Sabian 40th Anniversary ride cymbal is $900?!?!?!?!?!

For example:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Regardless of the price, it shares a number of qualities with older A's, AA's, HH's and old K's. Nice dark vibe, some dragon's breath, and the wash is very modest. Crashes wonderfully for 3400 gm. Perfectly clear bell.
No 22 A's or old K's I've had over 2850 gm range crashed any better than this one. The only thing that didn't make sense to me is that the stick seems to disappear a bit....which is hard to do for that weight. Could
just be the drummer playing extra soft.

Last edited:

Tdipaul

Reaction score
If one applies themselves they could find an equal or better sounding ride for 1/4 the price of that

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't usually play the negative card ... but honestly, the ride didn't sound all that spectacular to my ears (which are admitedly very damaged).
The bell was somewhat obnoxious juxtaposed with the ride sounds emenating ... and the crash was not great.
The ping was a bit too metalic for my tastes.
And THAT's the issue ... "my tastes".
It just doesn't appeal to me ... I'm sure there are many others whose buttons get pushed by it.
Best to Sabian ... it's been a while since they've produced a cymbal for "my tastes" - but I'm patient.

notINtheband

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My favorite ride (I own 6), is a Sabian 24” Bash Ride I bought about 10 years ago.
But it’s too big for my cymbal bag and a pain to gig out with so I don’t gig with it.
The only time I brought it into a studio session the engineer kept having to lower the mic over it to the point he asked me to replace it with something with more natural projection.
So now it’s on my rehearsal kit where every time I play it I fall in love with it all over again, only to leave it home every weekend or session.

It’s a shame really..

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That video made me start drooling, so I had a different reaction than most of y’all. No one could mistake it for a jazz cymbal, but this does EVERYTHING I want for a heavy rock ride without being a manhole cover. $900 is too steep (even though some of it is going to an awesome charity, Musicares).

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha ok. I guess they're selling it as a collector's item, like a Franklin Mint thing.

For the discriminating collector ... with a slight upcharge, they will laser etch Weckl's face on the cymbal bow and ship it in a nice wooden box with cymbal handling gloves and a Certificate of Authenticity signed by Dave and Bernard Purdie (the actual drummer behind all of the Dave Weckl independent releases throughout the years).

erict43

Reaction score
Way too expensive, but it's a great-sounding cymbal, that's for sure. And the drummer in the video is awesome.

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As long as they make inexpensive, good sounding cymbals for the average drummer,
I'm not too bothered by expensive ones for the dilettantes.

Six-Ply

Reaction score
I don't usually play the negative card ... but honestly, the ride didn't sound all that spectacular to my ears (which are admitedly very damaged).
The bell was somewhat obnoxious juxtaposed with the ride sounds emenating ... and the crash was not great.
The ping was a bit too metalic for my tastes.
And THAT's the issue ... "my tastes".
It just doesn't appeal to me ... I'm sure there are many others whose buttons get pushed by it.
Best to Sabian ... it's been a while since they've produced a cymbal for "my tastes" - but I'm patient.
You call the bell obnoxious. I call it BEAUTIFUL! This ride pushes MY buttons to the Nth degree. Not paying $900 as it's possible to find one of the Raw Bell Dry Rides that is very similar. But this is an amazing cymbal that I hope goes onto production along with the Todd Sucherman 22" Sessions Ride.

pbldrum

Reaction score
The Sabian 40th Anniversary ride cymbal is $900?!?!?!?!?!

For example:

It is a load of $green although a new Sabian Artisan 22" Medium Ride sells for $749. Everything has skyrocketed in price (including groceries). You used to be able to buy a vintage 4pc Ludwig or Gretsch drum set for $400 and now they cost $2400. Personally I love the Artisan rides but I would probably wait and purchase a "mint" one for less.