Let's Cut Down a Perfectly Good Kick Drum!

AustinFitz

Reaction score
Very nice work! Just as I expected, that kit looks MUCH better with the shallow kick. I really enjoyed the photos as well. Thanks for posting them! I can totally understand wanting to pass it along though. For me to keep something long term it has to really speak to me. If I don't form a bond with it after a little while, it's gotta go... I'm head over heels in love with the kit I have now because, in a way that's hard to describe, it just feels like "me". I wish you luck on your hunt for that Goldilocks kit that's just right for you!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks guys, it's a great kit and the sizes are dead on now... but like AF just said, I just have no bond with it. But I know someone will really enjoy the kit. I bought a 3 piece Montineri set off the boards to hold me over... who knows, maybe I will even make peace with an 18" kick!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a 16x22 blue shadow kick on ebay right now that if I knew for sure I could cut down to 12x22 I'd buy it. It has a Modular tom mount on top, which I used to have a shell like that but never measured. I think 12 would work....cutting down a perfectly good Ludwig would probably get me kicked off the forum :)

thejohnlec

Reaction score
This looks amazing - great job! May I ask how you used the table saw to cut the drum down? Did you push the tom against the fence while rotating it? I have a cheap orphan tom that I want to reduce the depth on.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This looks amazing - great job! May I ask how you used the table saw to cut the drum down? Did you push the tom against the fence while rotating it? I have a cheap orphan tom that I want to reduce the depth on.
Yep, was that easy! As long as you know your fence is square, it's a breeze!

20191217_162702.jpg

20191217_162959.jpg

20191217_163039.jpg

Reaction score
Killer work dude. I dig it.

Other than being prohibitively expensive, if you have to get someone else to do it, I'm all on board with this. Although I recently sold it, I had a Mapex Meridian maple 22x18 cut down to 14". I eyeballed about where the edge would end up (well past the lug holes and well before the badge) and had it done. There was a slight difference in sound, but almost none after putting a blanket in it. The biggest advantage was making it much easier to transport.

robertgarven

Reaction score
I say go for it! I had custom kicks made 18”x22”. And wish I could go back and make them 16”x22”! I don’t think they sound any different. And I could fit my 7 piece kit in my car back then, the deeper kicks make that impossible now!! Granted I don’t move my kit that much in my car....

Attachments

henrikrathje

Reaction score
Good idea D.B. , here is the tags I did for the Slingerland replicas, I think I will do something like this for the kick as well....

View attachment 423018

View attachment 423019
wow... nice...

I did a similar job on a 60's Slingerland RK shell.. found in an old storage building. It was 14,6" wide and was really just a blank with reinforcement rings

rk1.jpeg

So routed it down to 14" and 6,5" depth... an created my own tribute snare. Sounds AWESOME.
Will have to add a tribute label like you did.. although I will never sell it! :)
rk2.jpg

finished drum
rk3.jpg

DBC

Reaction score
Nice work on the cut down. Clean and professional. Did you use a double 45 for the bearing edge or 45 and radius?

Jawshoeuh

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I know the very mention of this project irritated several members, but I just like a traditional 14X20" for a small kit. I currently own a 15"X20" as well as having had 18" and 20" deep 20's.... but this was just the right size for this kit. It's punchy with less throat and of course much less heavy. Though as I mentioned, just due to the high quality Tama build, it's still a rather bulky and heavy drum!
I had a similar experience.

Bought a custom kit off a friend back around 2005ish when they were having a baby and he needed to scale down. He had built it himself with shells sourced from Keller and sort of based it on his OCDP custom, so it had a 20x20 kick (which was the style at the time, lol), toms that were 12x7 and 14x11 (I think), with a 14x6 snare. Loved the snare and rack, but the kick and floor were always kinda finicky to me.
26 - NzAF3Xv.jpg

1 - 27Z69K7.jpg

I wasn't a huge fan of the kick depth (always felt flappy and kind of hollow sitting behind it), but I rocked it for a few years and then moved back to more traditional sizes.

Eventually got into a project where I wanted to use the kit again, but couldn't stomach the 20" deep kick. Got Jon Zoog at Dallas Drum to cut it down for me and could not have been happier with how it came out. All of a sudden the kick was warm and full and round and had body and depth when sitting behind it.
2015-11-05 20.01.20.jpg

IMG_2897.JPG

I appreciate the thump of a nice modern 22x18 or 24x18, but don't think I'll ever buy a kick deeper than 16" again myself and 14" depth is definitely my fav.

Attachments

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
wow... nice...

I did a similar job on a 60's Slingerland RK shell.. found in an old storage building. It was 14,6" wide and was really just a blank with reinforcement rings

View attachment 426151

So routed it down to 14" and 6,5" depth... an created my own tribute snare. Sounds AWESOME.
Will have to add a tribute label like you did.. although I will never sell it! :)
View attachment 426152

finished drum
View attachment 426153
Yes sir!!! That looks great! So you have seen my 49' Radio King Tribute then... mine was also made from a blank Slingerland solid shell from the Gretsch warehouse as well. Yours look really sharp, nice work!

Nice work on the cut down. Clean and professional. Did you use a double 45 for the bearing edge or 45 and radius?

Thanks sir, It was more if a 60/40 arrangement. I replicated the factory edge I had cut off.