what drums will S. Jordan have with the Stones

• Total voters

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? Why? Why ask why? maybe his daughter's friends or his wife wanted it
He probably left a $750K or $500K tip. don't ask why : D
like a kid looking out the window from a car seat and asking Daddy why do skyscrapers go to the sky
next

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would Ktaft have/host a Stones party? He doesn't look cool or like a Stones fan. Must be something else in it.
I don't even know what this means. He's an old white male. The target audience. Plus he's rich, and by "some accounts", likes to have a good time.

I was watching this classic rock cover band (who was really, really good...drummer was playing AND singing Zeppelin) a few weeks ago, and an old couple rolled into the club together on motorized scooters. To me, that just paints the picture.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
As much as I love some of the old Stones music, they've ceased to be relevant to me for several decades already and I won't ever be going to one of the concerts... but if I'm going to weigh in (and I guess that I am!) Jordan seems to be about the perfect choice to replace Charlie Watts. I don't think that it's too important what kit that he uses as I know that the guy is a smart enough musician to choose something that's going to work really well in that situation. I'm more curious about the China cymbal that Charlie liked to use and if Jordan will be throwing that in. On the one hand that would make it all the more authentic, but on the other hand maybe that kind of very personal affectation is better left to rest with Charlie..?

Part of me kind of feels that maybe Jordan shouldn't try too hard to sound like Watts and that the Stones could accommodate someone with a bit different style and still sound great... which is maybe what it's all about, no? ... being able to evolve your sound a bit over the years, even if it's very late in a career...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess while we bash cell phone videographers in that other thread, we can thank a few in this one? :p

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Show no. 2 NC Bank of America stadium
Steve's got (i see) 4 cymbals on the right...

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
cool one from the NC setlist:

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I love some of the old Stones music, they've ceased to be relevant to me for several decades already and I won't ever be going to one of the concerts... but if I'm going to weigh in (and I guess that I am!) Jordan seems to be about the perfect choice to replace Charlie Watts. I don't think that it's too important what kit that he uses as I know that the guy is a smart enough musician to choose something that's going to work really well in that situation. I'm more curious about the China cymbal that Charlie liked to use and if Jordan will be throwing that in. On the one hand that would make it all the more authentic, but on the other hand maybe that kind of very personal affectation is better left to rest with Charlie..?

Part of me kind of feels that maybe Jordan shouldn't try too hard to sound like Watts and that the Stones could accommodate someone with a bit different style and still sound great... which is maybe what it's all about, no? ... being able to evolve your sound a bit over the years, even if it's very late in a career...
I don’t think theres going to be much evolution at this point. More like going to church and participating in an age old tradition!!

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don’t think theres going to be much evolution at this point. More like going to church and participating in an age old tradition!!
Yeah... no doubt... Which is why I don't find the Stone's very interesting to me anymore. I love a lot of the classic albums, but I tend to only really keep up with artists that continue to evolve. There certainly have ben expamples of folks who have put lots of energy into putting out new music up until the very end of their careers... and I appreaciate that. Sure, the Stones keep putting out albums but they don't really stress the new music thing....

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charlie was famous for using a Gretsch kit. How did that influence your decisions about the kit you’re using on this tour?

First of all, there was no question it had to be Gretsch drums, because that’s the sound of the band. So that was a no-brainer. But I wasn’t going to go and use exactly what he was using, because, you know, this is not a Stones karaoke band. I’m going to do my thing: I’m going to approach it in the way I want to hear the Stones. One of my favorite periods of the Stones was when all hell was breaking loose as far as their sound [in] live [performance], between ’71 and ’75. I just loved that period. They were on fire. So that’s what I’m hearkening back to. Charlie was using the black Gretsch kit then. So I looked at that set up and that was the treatment I wanted. I’m basically doing my version of that with a little bigger bass drum, a 24-inch bass drum. [Watts used a 22-inch bass drum.] That’s my set up. And I have a clear view of Keith without a cymbal in my way and I can really see Mick.

Reaction score
So his reasoning for using Gretsch is essentially nullified by him stating he'll do his own thing.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
..they're still having fun. in LA last eve. Might have been the audience request pick; hadn't heard it in the set list

trying to find a ground level shot from LA
This youtuber who records? must be doing the whole tour? with them )

Amazing Keith remembers his guitar parts from..56 years ago...he strums them like they're 100 yr old Beethoven parts which in a way they are. He hasn't changed lol

Last edited: