Let's Guess what Steve Jordan's drums..

what drums will S. Jordan have with the Stones

• Total voters

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder this tune Charlie was able to do some Free Jazz...

from Spain 1990.
Hear the drums.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
So his reasoning for using Gretsch is essentially nullified by him stating he'll do his own thing.
How so? He's referencing a specific era of Charlie's playing with the Stones and changing the kit with a slightly larger bass drum. Plus his reasoning also included that he (and I would 100% assume the Stones) are not interested in sounding like a karaoke recording... and then means getting a player that has a voice to add to the mix - not just the drumming equivalent of a Vegas celebrity impersonator.

So I don't see anything as being negated - I found his reasoning nuanced - rather than simplistic "Play Gretsch and sound like Charlie... or don't). These things are never so single issued, or black and white....

In my opinion, of course...

Reaction score
How so? He's referencing a specific era of Charlie's playing with the Stones and changing the kit with a slightly larger bass drum. Plus his reasoning also included that he (and I would 100% assume the Stones) are not interested in sounding like a karaoke recording... and then means getting a player that has a voice to add to the mix - not just the drumming equivalent of a Vegas celebrity impersonator.

So I don't see anything as being negated - I found his reasoning nuanced - rather than simplistic "Play Gretsch and sound like Charlie... or don't). These things are never so single issued, or black and white....

In my opinion, of course...
Despite him saying Gretsch is the sound of the band, I see his choice to use Gretsch more as a tribute to what Watts used, not a sound decision. The fact he says he's going to do his own thing, makes me think he could have and (due to his endorsement) should have used Yamaha.

After all, isn't Steve going to sound like Steve irrespective of what brand the drums are?

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Despite him saying Gretsch is the sound of the band, I see his choice to use Gretsch more as a tribute to what Watts used, not a sound decision. The fact he says he's going to do his own thing, makes me think he could have and (due to his endorsement) should have used Yamaha.

After all, isn't Steve going to sound like Steve irrespective of what brand the drums are?
Well - some here would seem to tend to disagree with you... but not I. I've always been way more of a "It's not the hammer, it's the carpenter" sort of guy.

But whether that means that 90% of the sound or 95% of the sound comes from the player - there is still that 10% to deal with.

Speaking for myself - I've been recorded primarily using two different kits - my Blaemires and my Gretsches. And as much as totally sound like me playing both - they do sound different. Not in a "of course, they sound different with different heads, etc" sort of way - but no, in a "set them up with the same heads, same room and A/B them on tape sort of way".

Is there enough of a difference to really alert the overall sound - yeah, there actually is - but it is subtle and all within it still "sounding like me".

So I think of it this way - of course, Steve Jordan will sound great (and like Steve Jordan) playing anything. But if I played as well as Steve Jordan, what else would there be to tweak - and isn't it worth tweaking i, even if it only effects the sound by 2, 3, 5%???

So sure there's an obvious nod to Watts with this choice - but I wouldn't go as far as to say that there is no sound decision. Again Steve is known for being a connoisseur of these subtleties in tone. I see no reason to not think he would apply that expertise to this assignment - like has so often in the past.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
every stop picks from a list on their cellphone I guess.. Minneapolis Sunday, got...

and I get a Pretzel stick.

clipped ending

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
JordanGrestch.jpg

"what's he gonna do next? put "JDA" on the front bass head?" I knew he'd come around. The Original Elvin Jones sig' Snare ;;;;;;;;) on the multi-multi-multi- million dollar Rolling Stones tour.

Steve Jordan

there it is. At 2:30 you can see it's little aquamarine eye peeking out....
11/20/21

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
11/23/21 Hollywood FL No Filter 2021 tour ends last evening

Last edited: