Lets hear about your embarrassing DIY mistakes

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
A week ago I bought a World Max 6.5x14 Brass Black Nickel shell - I had some left over hardware so I was going to assemble it tonight since my Inde strainer and butt plate showed up.
I carefully marked the butt location and installed it then rotated the shell to drill for the strainer - all went well and they installed pretty easily - I went to but the bottom snare head on and noticed
something looked off - I then noticed I drilled and installed the strainer one section over - custom venting at its best

:) In light of what I just did - lets hear em to make feel not so un-smart right now

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I cleaned a MINT 71-ish Ludwig Standard kit with the wrong bottle.
I believed I was cleaning and shining the absolutely PERFECT wrap.
I went to sleep dreaming my little drumming dreams.

I awoke the next morning to a horrible sight.

The finish turned puke green and lost all of the shine and sheen.
It turned to a rough matte plastic.

Absolutely ruined the kit.
Could not believe I grabbed the wrong bottle.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Drilled to convert a near free 8 X 12 in to a snare.

Drilled 2 holes for the butt bracket.
Turned the drum in my lap

realized I drilled
right below the batter head. oOps.

Still came out Ok

Torodor4.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had a Rogers Dynasonic COB snare that I was making into a rat rod. I had 10 tube lugs and some die-cast hoops and a Pearl throw and butt. I had to drill out the lug holes a little bit and the lugs looked great. I then marked the shell for the throw off and butt but got distracted. I went back later and after I drilled the holes realized the throw off was not lined up and was off by one panel. I fixed the problem but now I have a couple extra vent holes which is no biggie but that was pretty stupid.

I also did a Ludwig Jazz Fest restoration and drilled in the baseball bat throw off but unfortunately missed the height on it so the throw off work perfectly but it just doesn't touch the top head!

egw

Reaction score
A few months ago, I was drilling for a cymbal mount on the bass drum of my nesting set, and ended up drilling on the wrong side of the drum (the tom side instead of the ride cymbal side). I was thinking of going with it and adding a mount bracket there to, but decided to just fill the holes and conceal them with a touch of paint. Luckily they were only pilot holes and you can't even see them unless you look really closely.

Another time I was doing the last coat of finish on a stave shell and dropped it on a hard floor. It shattered into at least 5 pieces. Made a pretty amazing sound though!

• Haha
Reactions: JDA

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Another time I was doing the last coat of finish on a stave shell and dropped it on a hard floor. It shattered into at least 5 pieces. Made a pretty amazing sound though!

But, could a blindfolded person tell what species of wood it was just by the sound it made when it hit the floor?

Last edited:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Redrilled for the strainer. Luckily the wrong holes are facing me so I can live with it for now.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I had a 60s Zildjian 18 in cymbal to which I decided to take a blowtorch (with the small camping propane tank) early in my cymbal smithing career. It was really hot and I had been hammering all afternoon and I dropped it and it shattered into 50 pieces!

egw

Reaction score
But, could a blindfolded person tell what species of wood it was just by the sound it made when it hit the floor?
Only one way to find out. But you supply the shells.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Many years ago, in my first apartment I was stripping the WMP from my 14" Ludwig three ply floor tom (Yeah, I Know). I had discovered that heat helped to get the wrap off but the hair drier was taking too long. So I decided to hold it over one of the burners of the electric range. It was going pretty well and then the wrap ignited. I threw the shell in the sink and sprayed it with water. This put out the flames and the shell was OK but the bottoms of the cabinets were a little bubbled. Could have been much worse though.

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I've been wanting to talk about this:

Sometime in 2005 or 2006 I decided to start putting a bunch of rivet holes in a 20in vintage Swish.
After drilling some rivet holes I then decided to use a unibit to open up some of those holes at varying sizes...........
I loved it and I played it and it was very cool and then one day I decided to sell it.
Shortly thereafter I started seeing ozone cymbals on the market.
Motherf****** I invented that s*** on purpose and accidentally(..when were the ozone cymbals truly first introduced on the market?)
No joke I feel I contributed to that.
Anyone have things like this happen?

Sowderdrummer

Reaction score
Tried to make an ozone style crash.. well that was a disaster, I should have waited and used a step bit but no inspiration struck and the bit skittered across the bow gouging the top.
Nice HH cymbal too. Was.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I tried to snake out my sewer on Christmas Eve with a Harbor Freight sewer snake. Disaster. I got my $400 back in gift cards but it still cost me $175 for the plumber.
Aside from that I’ve been trying do something with a 15” single headed Tom for years and everything turns out wrong.

Sowderdrummer

Reaction score
I tried to snake out my sewer on Christmas Eve with a Harbor Freight sewer snake. Disaster. I got my $400 back in gift cards but it still cost me $175 for the plumber.
Aside from that I’ve been trying do something with a 15” single headed Tom for years and everything turns out wrong.
Maybe it’s because it’s a 15” concert tom. That’s a set up for failure it seems. I had a pair of 14&15 Ludwig 1970s concert toms and that 15 was an unhappy fella.