Let's See Those Bop Kits

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH I loved the Gretsch one with the Gull wing spurs!
and the New Classic were sweet too.
And the Canopus. You were an early adopter! of them. One of the first

Last edited:

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some bop kits (all 18-12-14) which I've owned in days of yore - sadly parted with them - gone but never forgotten.
Canopus - black oyster pearl
GreTsch USA Customs - black satin (formerly belonged to Abby Rader)
Sonor Phonics
Yamaha Maple Absolute Custom Nouveau - pink-gray flake (formerly belonged to the late Ian Wallace of King Crimson fame)
GreTsch New Classic - ivory marine pearl
Yamaha Tour Customs (original iteration)
Fibes - glass glitter
.Other 18-12-14 kits I previously sold (not pictured):
Ludwig Jazzettes
- black cortex (12x18 bass drum)
Sonor Designers - bubinga
Wow - all really nice sets. But all gone now.

Do you still play? Bigger drums now?

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some bop kits (all 18-12-14) which I've owned in days of yore - sadly parted with them - gone but never forgotten.

View attachment 523291

View attachment 523292

Sonor Phonics
View attachment 523297

Yamaha Maple Absolute Custom Nouveau - pink-gray flake (formerly belonged to the late Ian Wallace of King Crimson fame)
View attachment 523293

View attachment 523294

View attachment 523296

Fibes - glass glitter
View attachment 523299

• Other 18-12-14 kits I previously sold (not pictured):
Ludwig Jazzettes - black cortex (12x18 bass drum)
All gone?!?! That was an amazing collection!

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Finally found a pic of my TAMA bopper from 4 years ago. I gigged this some and it always delivered.
20180517_162245.jpg

20180517_162307.jpg

20180517_185422.jpg

20180517_163739.jpg

As you can see it was bike night at a large dinner bar next to the river which is to my left. Mississippi River, actually. We hadn't started yet and the place was only half full at this point. This was a Thursday night.

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And last but not least, my Yamaha Stage Customs. This started out as a 5 piece 20" BD fusion kit. I added the 8", 16" and 18" BD after the fact but with the SCs I had any combo needed depending on the venue or my mood/attitude. Here's with all the cousins minus the 20" BD.

20180908_190230.jpg

20180908_190347.jpg

20180908_190639.jpg

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
No, they stopped with custom orders with the move to China.

And even if, not at this price. And then it would be a big gamble if it will live up to the expectations.
so has the vintage Sonor met expectations and lived up to the hype?

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
so has the vintage Sonor met expectations and lived up to the hype?
I haven’t used them in my studio and live yet, but so far certainly so good.

I didn’t want to buy new drums only for looks and the Maple Mahogany sets the bar very, very high. But these came close on the first hits with different heads and tuning already, so that was promising.

Btw.

I was suprised that they aren’t as heavy as people say.

ofcourse I was used to DW and the Yamaha PHX, but I’m willing to say these are lighter.

Reactions: JDA

Sonar Dave

Reaction score

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Finally found a pic of my TAMA bopper from 4 years ago. I gigged this some and it always delivered.
View attachment 523349

View attachment 523350

View attachment 523351

View attachment 523353

As you can see it was bike night at a large dinner bar next to the river which is to my left. Mississippi River, actually. We hadn't started yet and the place was only half full at this point. This was a Thursday night.
I remember seeing those when you had them for sale, but I waited too long and someone else bought them. Question: Recently I have been using an LP compact conga and mini timbales with my Tama bop and have been thinking about switching over to a Kat 4-zone pad instead like the one you've got in these photos. What are the pluses and minuses? I know it's a cheap-o, but I only need it for some percussion sounds in a few tunes and thought it might be just the thing. Any real-life gigging insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember seeing those when you had them for sale, but I waited too long and someone else bought them. Question: Recently I have been using an LP compact conga and mini timbales with my Tama bop and have been thinking about switching over to a Kat 4-zone pad instead like the one you've got in these photos. What are the pluses and minuses? I know it's a cheap-o, but I only need it for some percussion sounds in a few tunes and thought it might be just the thing. Any real-life gigging insight/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, some one here made the purchase of the TAMAs.

I say make the purchase. You will use it and it'll do what you expect. Here's a small list I just put together while staring at the screen.

The pluses:
Compact
Mounts easily to just about anything
Ran through PA so mixed perfectly
Quality samples
Set it and forget it
Not expensive (I suppose that's subjective)

The minus: (minor)
Needs power
Needs its own PA channel-Just another channel of the drum snake but Main board needs to have an open channel unless you submix.
Its 1/4 out so I bought the 1/4 to XLR converter to tap it directly at the snake
Small targets
Remember to power up before the PA LOL

JazzDoc

Reaction score
OH I loved the Gretsch one with the Gull wing spurs!
and the New Classic were sweet too.
And the Canopus. You were an early adopter! of them. One of the first
Joe, that gull wing GreTsch kit was one of the best sounding GreTsch kits I ever heard. They were simply out of this world. I didn’t like the gull wing spurs but the drums were otherwise as sweet as can be.

I also loved that Canopus kit. Why I sold those still escapes me but I was buying and selling frequently at the time which allowed me to experience so many different drums and not just for a quick tryout but to get to know them intimately and in different settings and venues.

Reactions: JDA

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, some one here made the purchase of the TAMAs.

I say make the purchase. You will use it and it'll do what you expect. Here's a small list I just put together while staring at the screen.

The pluses:
Compact
Mounts easily to just about anything
Ran through PA so mixed perfectly
Quality samples
Set it and forget it
Not expensive (I suppose that's subjective)

The minus: (minor)
Needs power
Needs its own PA channel-Just another channel of the drum snake but Main board needs to have an open channel unless you submix.
Its 1/4 out so I bought the 1/4 to XLR converter to tap it directly at the snake
Small targets
Remember to power up before the PA LOL
Thanks!

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fibes View attachment 523344 natural maple finish in 18x14, 12x8, 14x14
Just one pic?! We need pics of the Gretsch USA Customs, the Live Oak Customs, the Maple Customs, the Maple Custom Absolutes (caramel sparkle), the WMP Ludwigs, the natural Ludwigs, and I am sure I am missing some!

Don't leave is hanging! I might not know exactly where you live, but I do know where you store all of your drums!

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 523291

View attachment 523292

Sonor Phonics
View attachment 523297

View attachment 523293

View attachment 523294

View attachment 523296

Fibes - glass glitter
View attachment 523299

• Other 18-12-14 kits I previously sold (not pictured):
Ludwig Jazzettes - black cortex (12x18 bass drum)
ian wallace?!!! loved the jazz crimson project!

Kennersk

Reaction score
Beautiful finish on that DW.

I'd love to see that Remo. I was really itching for one a little while back. Jeff Hamilton was a Remo player for quite awhile, and it goes without saying, he made them sound beautiful!
[/QUOT

Hi Jeff

I have the kit he used in Toronto to play with Dianna Krall back around 2010. He used it again to play at Oscar Peterson’s funeral.

I’ll take some pics next time I use them and post the pics.

regards,

Ken

PS: I’ve noted that Remo doesn’t make kits any more. Too bad.
Here’s a stock photo of my kit (with 20” BD)

I later purchased an 18” BD as well. I used the 20 for big band and the 18 for trios & quartets.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not mine but I've played it plenty. A 60's Slingerland 18/12/14/14 that belongs to a bass player friend. I played it again this week at a trio session at his house.
A pretty rare kit with the serial numbers almost in sequence. Found at an estate sale here in LA for $250. All original. Also came with this great picture of the previous owner. Sounds as good as it looks!

Attachments

Last edited: