header.nohb.html

Let's See Those Brass Snare Drums! (now updated with totals by brand... so far!)

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Jerrys 1961 Dyna:

Attachments

• JERRY DYNA3.JPG
    JERRY DYNA3.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 28
  • JERRY DYNA2.JPG
    JERRY DYNA2.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 26

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Got them together for a family photo.

Ludwig Black Beauty Super-Sensitive
Ludwig Cut-Badge COB Super-Sensitive from 1971
Ludwig 4 x 15 Concert Dance, 10 lugs, from the 1920s
Yamaha SD-493
Rogers Dynasonic
Sakae Black on Brass
Dunnett 2N - I think the finish is called pipe burn blue

View attachment 569286
Look at that Marantz!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Just picked this one up at Sweetwater—-Ludwig Universal nickel over brass 6.5x14. Nice drum, was able to get some money knocked off for Gearfest. I thought initially that a Remo Coated CS was “the” head, but the stock head, the el cheapo Taiwanese Ludwig head actually sounds better. It was dissed on at least one YouTube review, but it reminds me very much of Ludwig Weathermasters. If I don’t sell my Gretsch Renown, I might try that CS on it.
Very glad to hear a good report on these Universals. You might be the first person on the forum to own one.

Personally I don’t love the UT Remo heads on most drums, but I could see how they might work on that one. I should A/B with a Weathermaster for fun.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me start by quoting myself from the solid ply snare thread, " This may be the most unscientific count tally you have ever seen!" I did the best I could to identify every snare photo and am confident I made a few mistakes, but it is pretty darn close one way or the other. While Slingerland ran away with the solid snares so far, Ludwig is crushing it in the brass department! So now, here is your "we hit 100 post" update, all 162 snares broken down by brand...

Ludwig – 49
Pearl – 14
Slingerland – 13
Gretsch – 12
Yamaha – 11
Premier – 7
Rogers – 7
Joyful Noise – 5
DIY Custom - 5
Sonor – 4
DW – 4
Sakae – 4
Pork Pie – 3
Dunnett – 3
Camco - 2
AK Adrian Kirchler – 2
Tama – 2
Noonan - 2
George Way (new)– 1
Oriollo – 1
British Drum Co – 1
Latus – 1
CB-700 – 1
HHG – 1
Beverley – 1
Carlton – 1
John Gray – 1
Ajax – 1
Blackwood – 1
A&F – 1
===========
Total (so far) 162

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Got them together for a family photo.

Ludwig Black Beauty Super-Sensitive
Ludwig Cut-Badge COB Super-Sensitive from 1971
Ludwig 4 x 15 Concert Dance, 10 lugs, from the 1920s
Yamaha SD-493
Rogers Dynasonic
Sakae Black on Brass
Dunnett 2N - I think the finish is called pipe burn blue

View attachment 569286
The family gathered around the radio - just like the good old days.

Quai34

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought someone would have already posted the Sonor Benny Greb but no, so, here it is, this is the picture in the store, I just realized I didn't have one on my kit!!??
SSD-13x5.75BG-SDB.jpg

purity

Reaction score
Premier - "Signia" brass. It was in rough shape when I bought it. The lugs cleaned/polished up great and I had the shell glass bead blasted. I decided to leave the shell raw so that it forms a natural patina. I really wish I could find the deeper version of this snare but they seem hard to come by (if anyone is selling one, I'm a buyer...).

Signia.jpg

British Drum Company - Bluebird. I'm not usually a fan of the COB look, but this one is an exception. BDC is making some of the classiest stuff around.
Bluebird.jpeg

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently have the Maple shell on the drum, but here's the brass shell that goes with mu Pearl Free Floater.
20220705_213436.jpg

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
The Gretsch Chrome Over Brass with 301 hoops. I bought this from Steve Maxwell a few years ago and she's the prettiest snare I ever heard.

Take your standard Gretsch COB shell, 6.5" depth with 10 lugs, but throw on 301 hoops with those little clips in a special edition, limited release; and that's my drum.

Result? All the bright, metallic tones and overtones the snare wants to sing at the top of her voice, with no heavy hoops to tell her otherwise!

Here's Steve Maxwell's sound file of it, with picture.

https://soundcloud.com/steve-maxwell-308089538%2Fgretsch-q4-rb-dealer-65x14-cob-301-hoops-snare-drum

tone-def

Reaction score
I assume this was one of those NOS Slingerland shells (Musicyo era?) that someone assembled with some decent hardware. It uses extended wires. l think those were called Super Sound Kings?Man, it's crispy! But throaty at the same time. 20220709_124226.jpg 20220709_123502.jpg