Let's see your Cymbal Set-Up... All Brands Welcome!

Drumming-4-Life

Reaction score
I just cleaned some of my cymbals today. Will clean the rest during the week. I use a combination of Zildjian and Sabian cymbals... but I like seeing and hearing cymbals from all brands. I'm really interested in Istanbul cymbals, and can't find a lot of information on their website. They don't even have sound files for all of their pies. Anyway, post some pics and any interesting information about your cymbal set-ups. I'll start.

First picture... left to right... Zildjian 13" K/Z Hats, 18" and 20" Oriental China Trashes (custom vented), 20" K Custom Sessions Ride, 18" K Custom Fast Crash, Sabian Signature Max Stax High (8"/8")

cymbals1small.jpg

Second picture... left to right... Sabian Signature Max Stax Mid (10"/10"), Zildjian 10" and 8" K Splashes, 17" K Custom Fast Crash, 15" K Custom Fast Crash, 16" K Custom Fast Crash, Sabian Signature Max Stax Low (14"/12"), Zildjian 12" A Custom Mastersound Hats

cymbals2small.jpg

I have more Zildjians and Sabians, along with 3 new ones I just picked up. I will post them once other people get involved.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here is a three day old setup. Left to right: 14" Dream Bliss hats, 20" Vintage Bliss crash/ride, 24" Dream Bliss Small Bell Flat Ride, 22" Dream Bliss crash/ride, 20" Amedia sizzle ride and 22" Dream Bliss Paper Thin.

I recently replaced the 20" Amedia with the 22" Dream Bliss that was to its left, and replaced that one with a 22" Sabian Crescent Hammertone with two rivets.

That setup is for my practice/rehearsal space. In real life I normally play with a flat ride on the right and either the 24" Dream Bliss Small Bell on the left or some other crash/ride. I think going forward it's going to be the Hammertone on the right and the 24" Small Bell on the left ... and if the situation calls for it, a 23" Soultone china on the far right. I do play live with just a ride when in small spaces or low volume, and usually with a 19" Soultone flat.

may272020birdseyeview.jpg

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Well, it's evolving, but here's a snapshot in time:

Hats: 14" 70s/80s New Beats. Actually, I have 3 New Beat hat cymbals and I'm playing around with different weight combinations. It doesn't seem to matter much, though. I could try and have tried other hats, but the New Beats are fine.

Left side Crash/Ride: 18" Mehmet Istanbul Traditional, around 1600+ grams. I bought it because it's middle-of-the-road versatile, and it is that. I therefore can't complain, especially since my alternative is a clangy 18" old A. But the Mehmet doesn't wow me. A final decision awaits my main ride because the issue is in part how the left side cymbal works with the right.

Crash: 15" K Custom Dark with repaired crack. Because of the crack, I'd take a huge loss selling it, but it's not a bad crash so I don't mind keeping it.

Ride: 22" 60s A Zildjian, around 2700 grams, re-lathed and hammered by a smith. This is a heck of an "interesting" cymbal--more complex than a plain A. Given that it's on the stand now, it qualifies as my preferred ride, but I'm not sure. I prefer it to a 60s plain A I have as well as I suppose Agop Istanbul Traditional ride I also have, but the Agop gets periodically put on the stand instead for being, I dunno, cleaner sounding and less noisy. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for a Sabian HH ride to arrive to try it. But I kind of like the ride I have set up now. It makes a statement, nothing shy about it, and works with the Mehmet.

With these, I'm out of stands, and I don't want another. I'm on a real campaign to streamline, streamline, streamline. In fact, I don't even need the 15" crash. It's mostly because I'd take a loss selling it with a crack and a little arm attaches to the rack tom mount that I conclude I might as well use it.

Oh, the goal is to be ready for anything thrown at me, which in my case would be 50s-60s rock, blues, swing, and country, as well as of course to play it all in my style.

Attachments

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here are a few of my setups. These get the most stand time.
Interesting thread.

14 Sabian HH Prototype Hats
22 Paiste Twenty Light Ride
20 Paiste Formula 602 Modern Essentials Crash
20 Paiste Formula 602 Thin Crash
18 Paiste Twenty Thin Crash

14 Paiste Twenty Light Hats
21 Paiste Masters Medium Ride
19 Paiste Signature Dark Energy Crash
18 Paiste Signature Dark Energy Crash
17 Paiste Signature Dark Energy Crash
15 Paiste Signature Dark Energy Crash

15 Paiste Masters Dark Hats
22 Paiste Masters Dark Ride
20 Paiste Masters Dark Crash
19 Paiste Masters Dark Crash
18 Paiste Masters Dark Crash

15 Zildjian A New Beat Hats
22 Sabian HHX Prototype Ride
20 Sabian Prototype Vault HHX Crash/Ride
18 Sabian HH Prototype Thin Crash
16 Zildjian A Custom Crash
16 Zildjian K Constantinople Crash

14 Zildjian New Beat Hats
22 Paiste 1975 Black Label 2002 Ride
20 Paiste Signature Crystal Thin Crash
18 Paiste Sound Formula Thin Crash
18 Paiste Sound Formula Full Crash
18 Paiste Formula 602 Crash

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ayotte kit:
14" Zildjian A Custom Mastersound Hats
12" Zildjian A Custom Splash
14" Zildjian A Custom Fast Crash
16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
17" Zildjian Sound Lab Prototype (Armand) Crash
20" Zildjian A Custom China (sometimes)
20" Zildjian A Custom Ping Ride

1964 Ludwig kit:
14" A Zildjian Paper Thin Hats (60's)
or
15" A Zildjian Paper Thin Hats (50's)
15" A Zildjian Crash (50's)
15" UFIP Crash (60's)
20" A Zildjian Ride with rivets (50's)

1976 Ludwig Stainless kit:
14" A Zildjian Hats (Hollow ink logo 78-82)
15" A Zildjian Crash (70's)
18" A Zildjian Medium Crash/Ride (70's)
19" A Zildjian Medium Ride (80's)

shnootre

Reaction score
Here's my current setup. Ha - you can see the pile of 50th bday cards on the couch. The big present (to myself)? The new 22" Paiste Masters swish on the far right.
From L to R:

Far L (out of the frame!) - 9" Zildjian Oriental trash splash (mounted above the HH)
Zildjian K Light 15" hihats
Istanbul 20" Vezir Jazz ride
Zildjian 17" Custom Hybrid Crash
Zildjian K Con 22" Renaissance Ride
Zildjian 16" Oriental trash china
Paiste 22" Masters swish

Eventually these will probably be broken up between two kits - if school ever opens back up and I can fulfill my dream of putting a small kit in my office (I am a professor of music, but NOT of drums!)

The Paiste plays really nice w/ the other cymbals, although the Reny has some of the trashiness of the Paiste when smacked - if I were to gig I don't think I'd take both. The Vezir replaced a K Kerope 20" and provides a lot more of a contrast - I love it.

Attachments

JimmySticks

Reaction score
Here's my set-up, which doesn't change to much.

I've been playing jazz and blues quite a bit now, so I have 2 20" ride cymbals, one is a beautiful, slightly dark, sweet sounding Paiste Prototype Signature in the main slot to the right of the tom. The rest are Kashian cymbals from the 70's which are RotoCast constructed, made by UFIP. I'm a big fan of these. The 20" Kashian ride to the left of the tom, just has a beautiful subtle tone, glassy and shimmery and very crashable, and I think it's a nice compliment to the Paiste. I have pennies taped onto the 18" crash/ride to give it some shimmer. I will some day put in some rivets...maybe!

I do have some Agop crashes and a Bosphorus china that get some time every once in awhile, but this is the go to -

IMG_20200601_134950704.jpg
:blink:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just cleaned some of my cymbals today. Will clean the rest during the week. I use a combination of Zildjian and Sabian cymbals... but I like seeing and hearing cymbals from all brands. I'm really interested in Istanbul cymbals, and can't find a lot of information on their website. They don't even have sound files for all of their pies. Anyway, post some pics and any interesting information about your cymbal set-ups. I'll start.

First picture... left to right... Zildjian 13" K/Z Hats, 18" and 20" Oriental China Trashes (custom vented), 20" K Custom Sessions Ride, 18" K Custom Fast Crash, Sabian Signature Max Stax High (8"/8")

View attachment 444619

Second picture... left to right... Sabian Signature Max Stax Mid (10"/10"), Zildjian 10" and 8" K Splashes, 17" K Custom Fast Crash, 15" K Custom Fast Crash, 16" K Custom Fast Crash, Sabian Signature Max Stax Low (14"/12"), Zildjian 12" A Custom Mastersound Hats

View attachment 444620

I have more Zildjians and Sabians, along with 3 new ones I just picked up. I will post them once other people get involved.
Memphis Drum shop has the cymbals videos on their site , loads of Instanbuls .

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a sheeetload of As & Ks ...............No other brands . Just got rid of a set of Instanbul Xist .

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a crazy setup for the band I’m in, and it’s always changing, but right now it is
L-R: all Istanbul Agop
20” Trash hit
19” Sultan (will be replaced with a 20” Sig on the way)
14” Azure hats
24” SE Jazz ride TW
22” Xist Power crash
22” 30th anniversary ride w/ 2 rivets

when I had my Zildjian set it was
L-R
18” A medium thin
14” K/Z hats
22” K custom
22” K Con High Bell Thin High

when I had my Paiste setup it was
L-R
19” Dark energy
18” Paiste Masters dark crash
16” Trad thin over a 3000 power crash
24” Masters Deep ride
22” Masters Dark ride

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a crazy setup for the band I’m in, and it’s always changing, but right now it is
L-R: all Istanbul Agop
20” Trash hit
19” Sultan (will be replaced with a 20” Sig on the way)
14” Azure hats
24” SE Jazz ride TW
22” Xist Power crash
22” 30th anniversary ride w/ 2 rivets

when I had my Zildjian set it was
L-R
18” A medium thin
14” K/Z hats
22” K custom
22” K Con High Bell Thin High

when I had my Paiste setup it was
L-R
19” Dark energy
18” Paiste Masters dark crash
16” Trad thin over a 3000 power crash
24” Masters Deep ride
22” Masters Dark ride
Woah! Tell us about your Agop set up! A big power crash with those big thin jazz pies? That sounds cool. Which one is in the main slot? Do you use some like accent cymbals? I can imagine your bandmates being in awe when you get them all going! Haha

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Woah! Tell us about your Agop set up! A big power crash with those big thin jazz pies? That sounds cool. Which one is in the main slot? Do you use some like accent cymbals? I can imagine your bandmates being in awe when you get them all going! Haha
Yeah, I’m also in a really loud grindcore band out of state, so that stuff gets thrown in sometimes with my band at home. That band is more or less fusion, albeit an aggressive one.

I use the 24 in the main ride position, angled. The 30th sits to the right and underneath, so I can use it for quieter ride passages. The xist is high up, for loud accents, but I do ride it occasionally when I want a brighter stick. The big ones are pretty thin and low pitched, but retain the bright character of the line. The others are pretty much only used as crashes, or I’ll play the bells in lieu of splashes. Playing such big cymbals gives me a lot of sounds to work with, and I prefer it to having a lot of effect cymbals.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are some driver seat pics of a few different setups - you will notice I generally use a ride and two crashes and hats . Rarely will ai use any additional cymbals and this has been a conscious decision over e last few years .

I keep my meagre collection in two cymbal bags since my big cymbal purge has completed .
Bag 1 is my Paiste cymbal bag and it contains :
15” 602 Modern Essentials Hihats
16” 602 thin crash
18” 602 thin crash
18” 60 Modern Essentials crash
20” Masters Dark Crisp ride
20” 602 Medium ride
24” Masters Deep Groove ride

Bag 2 is my Sabian set
Containing :
14” HHX Complex Medium hats
18” HHX Legacy crash
19” Artisan Crash
20” Artisan Light ride
20” Prototype ride
21” HH Raw Bell dry ride

I also have an 18” Bosphorus Master Vintage crash

Attachments

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I usually match by brand/line:

Zildjian K constantinople
14" hats
16 and 18" crashes
20 and 22" medium rides

zildjian A/Armands
14" hats
16" medium and 18 " medium thin crash
19" beautiful baby ride with three rivets
20" ride
10" splash-never use it, came with a boxed set

Zildjian & Cie
15" and 16" crashes (bought from Mtarrani)
20" ride

Latest posts