header.nohb.html

Let's see your junk drums

stickmakeboom

Reaction score
I acquired this Starcaster shell set for 50 bucks. I'm a beginner on the kit so I just needed something to practice on.. Slowly have been upgrading it. Swapped out the heads and upgraded the cymbal stands, kick pedal, and snare. The snare I got for 60, and I actually love the sound of it. Oh and i converted one of the rack toms into a floor tom. Eventually I do want to upgrade the drums but for now these do the trick!

Attachments

• IMG_20220620_090330.jpg
    IMG_20220620_090330.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220620_091102.jpg
    IMG_20220620_091102.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20220620_090809.jpg
    IMG_20220620_090809.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 24

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 566700

I admit it hasn't been used in a while .....
I like it. A real wood, wood block. I had one similar back in the late 60's, I think it might have been my brothers, probably a late 40's time frame. It's a slight possibility I may still have it in my garage some where.

sherm

Last edited:

Lee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not since my very first drum kit in the 6 th grade. From Montgomery Wards. They sent it to me with the bass drum and two ride Tom’s in blue satin flame and the floor Tom in gold/yellow satin flame. We were living in Europe at the time and my parents got it for me for Christmas. Sending it as a return/exchange was not an option. I was still very happy with it. No, I do not still have it. The moving company destroyed it…..

Polska

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first kit as a teen was a quality Ludwig (used) kit and since then I've always saved my money for decent gear. I may never own a Crav, but I never bought anything that wasn't considered at least intermediate level or better. Patience. Save a little longer for something better.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My first kit as a teen was a quality Ludwig (used) kit and since then I've always saved my money for decent gear. I may never own a Crav, but I never bought anything that wasn't considered at least intermediate level or better. Patience. Save a little longer for something better.

I am going the other direction. I have had quite a few higher end drum sets, mostly vintage, over the years (I still have a nice English Premier maple rock set that rarely gets played).

Yet these days I am saving and investing my money for retirement and no longer wish to own tons of "Stuff" that I have to worry about being stolen or burned up in a fire (I live in the woods outside Prescott AZ where there are regular forest fires).

I play mostly jazz these days and have two jazz sets... the aforementioned Ludwig Accent set and also (please don't grimace) an SPL 18-10-13 "Street Bop" jazz kit and both sound just fine. All I need.

It ain't the paint brush, it is the artist.

SPL_Street-Bop_FT-300x300.jpg

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don’t have any junk drums but the cheapest kit is a sonor sonic. You can find them cheap used but the early version were full birch and made in Germany. High quality and low price.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is really not a junk kit, bit it is my "Rain Kit" and out of the dozen and a half kits I own, it would be at the bottom. It is a 2004 PDP MX Made in Mexico Maple kit. Honestly the kit sounds great with coated emperors and could hold its own gig wise- no problem. I paid $350 for it a couple of years ago and those Mexican PDP's (2001-2007) CX, LX, MX series are staring to creep up in price as of late.

pdp mickeys.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited: