Let's talk about PA systems...

Renoroger

Reaction score
When I finally ditched my 32u of “stuff” I bought a QSC TouchMix 16ch and an assortment of K-10s & 12s. The miver sits on a stand to the left of my hihit and is very convenient for adding/changing FX and mon levels. 4pc pop band - we’re all lead singers, it’s the most efficient system I’ve ever used. (Besides having a soundperson...)

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I finally ditched my 32u of “stuff” I bought a QSC TouchMix 16ch and an assortment of K-10s & 12s. The mixer sits on a stand to the left of my hi-hat and is very convenient for adding/changing FX and mon levels. 4pc pop band - we’re all lead singers, it’s the most efficient system I’ve ever used. (Besides having a soundperson...)
A QSC TouchMix 30 pro is the other mixer that I've given serious consideration to. I have a lot of faith in QSC products, If I was sure that it was "the one" I'd spend the additional $1,000. I do only want to do this one more time.

earteaga

Reaction score
A QSC TouchMix 30 pro is the other mixer that I've given serious consideration to. I have a lot of faith in QSC products, If I was sure that it was "the one" I'd spend the additional $1,000. I do only want to do this one more time.
I carry two mixers in our racks, a Presonus RML16AI and a QSC Touchmix 30. The main reason for carrying two is in case one dies in the field.

The Presonus is rackmounted, with no display. All control is done via tablet, or from a laptop using either wireless or firewire. Wireless is not built in so you have to use a dongle. I always hardwire to the router. This mixer has become the backup.

The Touchmix 30 has become the go to board. It has a big display, a wheel that allows you to make fine adjustments, plenty of effects, and if you need them, wizards that help you get a great soundcheck. You can remotely control the Touchmix 30 from an ioS or Android, but not from a laptop like you can the Presonus. Wireless is not built in. Something to consider is that the Touchmix has to sit in a rack on top, and you have to leave room for cables since it's rather deep. Otherwise you carry it in its bag or a roadcase.

--
Eddie

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, I'm old. Old enough to remember when I aspired to own a really good PA, like a Shure Vocalmaster, or a Kustom!

View attachment 457842

View attachment 457843

I thought that I'd start the discussion by making the other old guys laugh, and the young guys roll their eyes. Yes kids, that used to be a "good" PA system.

Later we graduated to ridiculously heavy, massive, flat black painted speaker cabinets with horns on top, powered by huge racks of equally heavy amplifiers and processors, and a mixer that only fit in a full sized van or pickup. No photos, but my back hurts just thinking about them.

About ten years ago the world of PA systems for local bands started to change. Everything got smaller and lighter. Huge speakers and racks of outboard gear were replaced by compact powered speakers and compact digital speakers. The only large and heavy component these days is a powered sub-woofer, and even they are less massive than they were.

In my last band We started with a Presonus 16 channel digital board that belonged to one of the guitarists. Later he replaced it with a newer model 24 channel Presonus, I bought the older board from him to use as a backup and also with other projects. He and I each owned four QSC K-12 powered speakers and QSC 18" powered subs.

I left that band last year. I sold my sub as I didn't need anything like it for other projects, and I sold the Presonus mixer because I knew that there were better alternatives on the market these days. I still have my four QSC K-12 speakers, I've been using them for smaller projects with a small analog mixer.

Now I'm with a new band and I want to pick up a new digital mixer. From what I can see, the latest models are so much easier to use than what was available seven years ago when my last Presonus was bought.

I spent the day watching online tutorials from each manufacturer and reading spec sheets. I'm thinking that a Soundcraft Ui24 is likely the best fit for this band.

View attachment 457845

The new band is comprised of a lead singer, two guitarists, a bassist and a drummer, we all sing.

Have any of you recently been down this path? What direction have you chosen?
I recently picked up one of those shure vocalmaster pa’s Although mine has the half stack speakers. It sounds really good for rehearsals but i wouldn't want to carry it!

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's my baby. 2 years old never gigged. Used for rehearsals.

No single item is too heavy to carry by one person. It's large but not intimidating.

20190817_142032.jpg

Had this for sale on Reverb up until recently.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Allen and Heath SQ series? Those look pretty legit on paper at least.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my baby. 2 years old never gigged. Used for rehearsals.

No single item is too heavy to carry by one person. It's large but not intimidating.

View attachment 457979

Had this for sale on Reverb up until recently.
I was using something similar until 2013. I was able to move any of those pieces alone, but I found that moving all of them alone would tear me up. This was especially true when steps were involved, and where I live steps are almost always involved.

When I was young and fit carrying heavy gear wasn't an issue, but that was a while ago. I embraced lighter gear because I feel that it has extended the years that I'm able to play.

I had a serious motorcycle accident in 1991. My left leg contains a lot of metal and the change of seasons tends to make me need to use a cane sometimes. I also had a major stroke in 2008. I love that I can still play in a band, but I don't want to get injured doing it.

I applaud those who can still move that gear, but I'm no longer able.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Between all of our band members we have plenty to choose from:
2- QSC K Subs
2- QSC K12's
4- QSC K 10's
2- Yamaha DXR 12's
Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2
Various small mixers by Yamaha, and Mackie

We build out our systems based on the needs for each venue. My only comments are: the Presonus is sometimes a pain as you have to go through layers of pages to make simple adjustments. A friend also had one and sold going back to an analog Soundcraft Signature series as it was way simpler to use. In addition, digital equipment is very sensitive to power fluctuations as we cooked our Presonus board and had to send it in for repair.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No love for Bose here?

I have played hand percussion many times in two different acoustic trios that had Bose L-1 systems, they worked great for those kinds of gigs in most indoor settings. We used my gear for larger venues and outdoor gigs.

I've never used Bose gear on rock gigs.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do, but $3000 for a board is currently out of my budget. :(
I love how compact the SQ5 is. I'll be replacing an old Behringer Eurodesk soon at church, the Behringer x32 seems to be an obvious choice, but the SQ5 saves space and is probably a better board, but I'm curious if it's worth the added cost over the x32. The x32 is getting pretty old in digital gear years. Behringer has the new Wing, but that's another step up in price.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between all of our band members we have plenty to choose from:
2- QSC K Subs
2- QSC K12's
4- QSC K 10's
2- Yamaha DXR 12's
Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2
Various small mixers by Yamaha, and Mackie

We build out our systems based on the needs for each venue. My only comments are: the Presonus is sometimes a pain as you have to go through layers of pages to make simple adjustments. A friend also had one and sold going back to an analog Soundcraft Signature series as it was way simpler to use. In addition, digital equipment is very sensitive to power fluctuations as we cooked our Presonus board and had to send it in for repair.
My old band was similar in that the one guitarist and I each owned enough gear for any gig, we would discuss what was needed at each venue. It was a nice luxury.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
min
I'm still a fan of the old gear, as long as I don't have to move it anymore. Two weeks ago I moved my old Yamaha M1516 mixer out of storage and into my garage. What a huge beast of a thing, especially for just 16 channels (135 lbs not including the rack mount power supply). However, they just don't build them like this anymore. I doubt it will ever get used for much more than playing music in my garage but it's got a high end vibe and feel to it that you don't encounter on modern PA equipment.
View attachment 457916
mine is way bigger !

midas 4.jpg

Last edited:

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Midas MR18 with EV112 powered tops and ELX118 powered subs. Great for most venues of 250 or less. We all run in-ears, so no floor monitors

F

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man! I absolutely adore those Sure PAs. I don't think anything comes close to sounding as good as those old tube amps and the column speakers in a small club.
If you ever come across one, let me know.
We use a Yamaha brain with 8 channels into some Harbinger 15"s for mains and 10"s for monitors. It works well enough for us, we are not trying to hurt anyone with our sound.

jmato

Reaction score
Our band just bought two EV EKX 12" speakers to pair with our Behringer 15s and EV 18' sub, all powered and run through an old school Mackie mixer via snake. We have two passive floor monitors and a few folks (me included) with IEMs. We just played an outdoor gig in a very large space to 200 or or so and it worked well, although we need another sub for sure.

Planning to add the sub and migrate to the XR18.

We are all weekend warriors who only gig 15-20x a year, and the expense of all this stuff adds up really quick! We are losing money for certain and doing it for fun, but it still stings the wallet.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Is it a trend now where drummers own the PA that the band uses? Back in the day it was either a house system or the band bought the system. One band took out a loan from the agency and bought one. That was a real mess when we split up.

I noticed a couple of drummers on Facebook in the past months talking about their band's PA but how they own it. Weird. Seems like a good way to up your shot at getting a call back and maintaining job security, I'll give it that.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the Allen and Heath SQ series? Those look pretty legit on paper at least.
I've played gigs where they were used FOH, but I wasn't running it. I can say they sound great and loaded with features. I believe you can control them with IPAD as well at least the monitor mix for sure as the Soundman always was on stage to do our mix