Let's talk about PA systems...

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it a trend now where drummers own the PA that the band uses? Back in the day it was either a house system or the band bought the system. One band took out a loan from the agency and bought one. That was a real mess when we split up.

I noticed a couple of drummers on Facebook in the past months talking about their band's PA but how they own it. Weird. Seems like a good way to up your shot at getting a call back and maintaining job security, I'll give it that.
It's also a way for us to have even more gear to carry around because we don't have enough :) I bought PA because my wife and I had a band at one point, I've done a few straight up Sound gigs that I didn't play and enjoyed it but was bored not having something to hit.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I thought owning the PA meant that it was your band, and they can't fire you. :)
That's the first thing I thought. I couldn't get with such an investment other than what Blueshadow mentioned about running sound on the side.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the first thing I thought. I couldn't get with such an investment other than what Blueshadow mentioned about running sound on the side.
If I ever play in a band again, I will own my own PA. I don't want to be dependent on anyone for anything, and I want to do things on my terms. I just don't have the time or patience for anything else.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought owning the PA meant that it was your band, and they can't fire you. :)
Yep and I also own the name and all the song lyrics and the 32 foot equipment trailer and the guitar and bass guitars and amps and Yamaha keyboard and amp and Hammond C3 and radicalized Leslie 122 and Marshall amp for the Hammond and stage distros and 4/0 feeder cables. And I think thats it.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it a trend now where drummers own the PA that the band uses? Back in the day it was either a house system or the band bought the system. One band took out a loan from the agency and bought one. That was a real mess when we split up.

I noticed a couple of drummers on Facebook in the past months talking about their band's PA but how they own it. Weird. Seems like a good way to up your shot at getting a call back and maintaining job security, I'll give it that.
My older brother (a guitarist) and I went in on a PA in the late seventies. In the forty plus years since then I've always owned some PA gear, often the whole system. In some situations I've only supplied components for a project. Why have I always owned PA gear? I'm not sure. In my day job I was always in a management role. I believe in doing things right. By owning the PA, or at least part of it, I could ensure that it was "right". I learned early on that there are few things worse than working hard with a good band and having it sound like crap because the sound system is inadequate.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
If I ever play in a band again, I will own my own PA. I don't want to be dependent on anyone for anything, and I want to do things on my terms. I just don't have the time or patience for anything else.
I think my use of PA and what's being discussed here is mostly different, but not in every case. Maybe it's more to do with sports bars filling the void of vanishing music venues, because the systems I'm referring to would fill a cargo van. And some required a box truck. Still, if a band member owns the PA, and perhaps even the lights, I can't help but see that as leverage that could cause issues given how flaky things can get in bands. Not that it matters so much given the viability of local music today.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think my use of PA and what's being discussed here is mostly different, but not in every case. Maybe it's more to do with sports bars filling the void of vanishing music venues, because the systems I'm referring to would fill a cargo van. And some required a box truck. Still, if a band member owns the PA, and perhaps even the lights, I can't help but see that as leverage that could cause issues given how flaky things can get in bands. Not that it matters so much given the viability of local music today.
Venues (bars) in my area, with few exceptions do not have sound systems. Bringing along a decent PA is part of providing music here. It has been this way as long as I can remember. The last band that I was in had about fifteen different venues where we played regularly, three of them had sound systems, and only two of them kept them in decent condition. I played music in the DC/Baltimore market in the early 2000s. I found that few places that hosted rock bands had reasonable sound systems in that area as well. I spent the eighties gigging in south Florida. About fifty percent of the venues provided sound there. (The larger beach based clubs did.)

In my experience I've found that that having one or two band members own the sound system (and lighting) components does simplify things. As a drummer, I've driven station wagons, vans, minivans or SUVs my whole life. I've always considered hauling all of this gear as one of the hazards of the campaign.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I bought ours so I could practice to songs at band volume when there’s no band.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played same circuit as drummer5359 in the DMV. I also own a PA system -- Mackie Board & Power Amps -- Yamaha Mains & Subs. If you are going to do it - do it right. Since I was already hauling drums in my truck, the additional load was not a big issue for me.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played same circuit as drummer5359 in the DMV. I also own a PA system -- Mackie Board & Power Amps -- Yamaha Mains & Subs. If you are going to do it - do it right. Since I was already hauling drums in my truck, the additional load was not a big issue for me.
Where did you play on the Eastern Shore?