Let's talk about pedals!

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone always posts about what drums & cymbals they use. I rarely see anyone talking about pedals unless they are in the market for a pedal or if they have an issue with their current pedal. I think pedals are an essential part of drumming so they should get more attention. I recently changed over to the new Gibraltar 9711GD-DB direct drive double pedal. This is my first direct drive pedal and so far I'm very happy with it and the transition associated with changing over from chain drive pedals. I'm also getting used to the different orientation since I came from using Offset pedals. These pedals are very under the radar but are definitely pro level. They are heavy and very reactive! I changed the beaters to Ahead Staccato round felt beaters because I prefer those over the factory beaters. Show us what you use and what you like about them! These are mine:
Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 1.52.43 AM.png

exliontamer

Reaction score
My first leather strapped Slingerland aside, I've always used a DW 5000 and still request them or 9000s for backline. Still have my old one from high school as a backup. I don't think it's better or worse than anything else and I bought it in high school for no other reason than it being really advertised and pros seemed to use them. I think people can get used to nearly anything and even the cheapest Dixon pedals feel like $1,000,000 bucks.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer strap or direct drive pedals . My favourite single pedals being the Sonor Perfect Balance ( both models). They feel light , fast and smooth . I have also found them to be very reliable too.

I also have an Axis A21 longboard that I really like as well .I generally use it for Outdoor gigs or large room gigs . I like using it with my 24” bass drum.

I have a Yamaha direct drive double pedal (DFP 9500D) that I really like a lot . It was very reasonably priced . This is the model that came before the current new top of the line model . It has nice smooth floorboards , direct drive , has a nice bag to pack it all up into . The action is consistent and smooth and the fact I got this for less than most top end single pedals was a bonus .

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a double Speed Cobra...……..I prefer the long boards.
I hated the little "hammer" beaters and I replaced those with Yamaha medium felt.
I also replaced the slave driveshaft with the TRICK provision.
Now it is a great pedal.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My favourite single pedals being the Sonor Perfect Balance
Mine as well. I did add a little beater weight (Tama I think) to the shaft for a bit more oomph in higher volume contexts. In the original state, they are great for soft&fast playing though, something I feel is lacking with bigger, heavier models - where, even though bearing etc. are great, there's sometimes too much inertia.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone always posts about what drums & cymbals they use. I rarely see anyone talking about pedals unless they are in the market for a pedal or if they have an issue with their current pedal. I think pedals are an essential part of drumming so they should get more attention. I recently changed over to the new Gibraltar 9711GD-DB direct drive double pedal. This is my first direct drive pedal and so far I'm very happy with it and the transition associated with changing over from chain drive pedals. I'm also getting used to the different orientation since I came from using Offset pedals. These pedals are very under the radar but are definitely pro level. They are heavy and very reactive! I changed the beaters to Ahead Staccato round felt beaters because I prefer those over the factory beaters. Show us what you use and what you like about them! These are mine:
I've wondered about those Gibraltars - they look nice. If I were getting a double then that one would be a definite contender, but my double days are probably done.

My new favorite is the Tama Classic single pedal. It's very light and quick too. It feels like it's made for my foot.

DrumTransit

Reaction score
My new favorite is the Tama Classic single pedal. It's very light and quick too. It feels like it's made for my foot.
I've played a few less-expensive Tama pedals and agree on the "light and quick" aspect. I sold the one I had, and was upset about it soon after. I now use "vintage pedals" -- a Speed King, with a Speed Master as my backup. The Speed King is a nicer pedal but I almost prefer the Speed Master for the action and feel. Like you said about the Tama, it's like it's made for my foot. I like the narrow board and strap drive. If I go get a new pedal, it might be an Iron Cobra or DW5000

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twice in one day!
les talk about pedals

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twice in one day!
les talk about pedals
Wrong my friend!
That other thread is about one specific pedal: "Speed Cobra". That's what the title shows!
My thread (this one), is a conversation about all pedals showcasing the owners tastes, likes & dislikes. And using your stated observation means that we would have to say the same thing about every thread posted here since they are all related to drums, correct?
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like cheap yamaha chain pedals, DW5000 with strap and recently I've been completely converted to the Tama Dyna-sync which is perfect.

Do any of them make me play faster ? I don't think so.

Speed is in your feet but some pedals do feel better than others to the individual.
Also speed is no longer that important to me. If I can do reasonably fast doubles that's all I need really.
Confidence and accuracy of note are more important than speed.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a few Tama PowerGlides which I think are part of the IC family.
I recently picked up the Tama Classic (the one that has a height adjustment) and I think its pretty cool. I've got an Trick beater on it which is light but sounds amazing...I usually like square beaters (I'm a little light footed so a good beater adds a lot for me).

I used the Tama Flei flyers for a long time...strap or chain...a decent cheap pedal

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm playing my '67 (I think) Rogers Swivomatic strap drive right now. It had been a long time since I'd played it, and decided to give it another try. The Swivo can be angled off center to the bass drum, but I'm using it straight on. Originally I got it thinking the angle could help with setup issues, and to a degree it did, but overall I prefer no angle.

There are a few things to like about this pedal, and the design was ahead of its time. I like the power it can generate. I have yet to play a pedal that can deliver a stronger punch. I like being able to access the spring tension while sitting down (the spring is far above the pedal on a post), height adjustment of the entire post independently from the beater height (which can also be adjusted), and the footboard clamp is a separate piece that attaches to the underside of the hoop and then you clamp the pedal over the top side. You can leave that piece on the drum and when you attach the pedal again, it will be in exactly the same place as before. Overall, it's a great pedal that was the first to innovate a few design features that others have borrowed from.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long have I wondered about Gibraltar pedals. Awhile back (years ago), someone on DFO mentioned how much he liked the old Prowler double pedal and that it was ridiculously good regardless of price.

A plan of mine for awhile now is getting a double pedal to experiment with setting the bass drum on the opposite side of the kit, allowing for lots more room to setup the toms (height wise). Easily placing a deeper tom or two right where I can get to them the easiest could probably increase fluidity and sound choices around the kit.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Pedals? I currently have a bunch and have owned a bunch, at least 20 or 30 over the course of 40 years.

I prefer simple, light & nimble, chain or strap drive SINGLE Pedals but the actual drive system doesn't matter if the action feels good. Also, I usually prefer them with a base plate.

Current faves are:

Pearl P-930 Demonator (Ideal! and most gigged)
Axis-A (with variable drive adjustment)
Tama IC Jr. (built to last & always feels right)

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of Yamaha's, a couple of Tama's, 3 Pearl's, and one Premier pedal. Don't know or care about the model numbers...all are older and they work. Mixture of strap and chain drives....overall I like strap drives better.
I have them set up for different functions depending on the music and kit played. Most have the good old Ludwig felt beater that came with Speed Kings back in the day. I used Speed Kings exclusively waaay back in the day and eventually they all broke..... I did however save all the beaters.
One Pearl pedal has a big square felt beater, another Pearl has a "Vintage Bomber" beater, and a Yamaha with a baseplate is used with a Roland bd trigger pad.
bt

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
View attachment 470375
- is there any slack in the universal?