Let's talk about pedals!

Jack Means

Reaction score
I have that
View attachment 470875
This is my all time favorite that I own. Late 90’s US made Accelerator pedal that is part of a double pedal I got when it came out. I’ve changed the footplate after the old one warped. Added the red ball bearing hinge as well. I know I’ve changed the bearing in the spring assembly thingy. Love love love this pedal. It stays on whatever kit I set up in the space. It’s perfect for me. I have and had other DW pedals but this one still beats em all.
I have that one too, great pedal,

David M Scott

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide single back in 2003.

I’m on my second spring. Wore the first one out.

I think I’ve oiled the chain once or twice, but that would be over a decade ago.

It still works, it’s still quiet.

After a little while a replaced the stock small/flat IC rubber beater with an old school white felt type. I’ve since worn through a few of them, as in worn down until until the flat spot is almost hitting the shaft/washer at the top (when they have them).

The classic Danmar white felt is my preference. I’ve got a Vater vintage bomber and a Danmar red wood beater (as well as the OG Tama IC) in my hardware bag but they never really get used.

Come to think of it, that pedal is probably the best drum purchase I’ve made. Certainly in regard to amount of use per dollar spent.
Me too ! I have Osteo and had a knee replaced on my kick leg so easy but good was what i went looking for. After a lot of search and thought I chose the 900
Iron Cobra strap model. Yes it’s big in size but with the mounting screw outside it’s e
I bought a Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide single back in 2003.

I’m on my second spring. Wore the first one out.

I think I’ve oiled the chain once or twice, but that would be over a decade ago.

It still works, it’s still quiet.

After a little while a replaced the stock small/flat IC rubber beater with an old school white felt type. I’ve since worn through a few of them, as in worn down until until the flat spot is almost hitting the shaft/washer at the top (when they have them).

The classic Danmar white felt is my preference. I’ve got a Vater vintage bomber and a Danmar red wood beater (as well as the OG Tama IC) in my hardware bag but they never really get used.

Come to think of it, that pedal is probably the best drum purchase I’ve made. Certainly in regard to amount of use per dollar spent.
Same here. I have Osteo in my ankle and had a knee replaced all on my kick leg. After a lot of searching and reading I chose the Iron Cobra 900S .. strap. I know it’s big and heavy but with the lock down screw located outside the floor plate it’s easy to mount or dismount sitting on my throne with no skinned knuckles. Then there is the multi adjustment feature. I know many think the
Cobra’s floor plate spring is a gimmick but it’s a life saver for me. I play a lot of Jazz where the kick has to be softer and thus
heel down is the order of the day. So I set that spring in the soft position and back off tension and angle on the beater. For combo Jazz I use a Vater Vintage Lambswool. Conversely when I do Rock (On the soft Rock side) or Country with more heel up a couple of simple adjustments and felt beater and I’m on game. And.. best of all it’s smooth and quiet. I have played kits with DW and Speed Kings and liked them but the Cobra works for me.

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I have Mapex Raptor singles (direct drive) on the double bass kit, and an older double Mapex P700 (or P750) double that was restored and converted to direct drive with parts from a newer broken Raptor double pedal. I have a used Axis A short board that I need to restore still. The Raptors work fine for my current speed, but they're definitely slower.

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 9000 double pedal on order.

And today I just found this one.

A353C6BC-3D59-414A-99EB-0CDBB4E673C9.jpeg

I always wanted to try one, and I fell in love right away.

I also noticed that the double model can he converted to a lefty model and they made a HH model too, so I might switch completely to these.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 9000 double pedal on order.

And today I just found this one.

View attachment 471176

I always wanted to try one, and I fell in love right away.

I also noticed that the double model can he converted to a lefty model and they made a HH model too, so I might switch completely to these.
What model/series pdp?

drums1225

Reaction score
I've owned most of the major brands' pedals, over the 40-odd years I've been playing drums. Somehow, I would always end up playing another pedal and liking it better than my own. Then I would buy one. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I had a good, long run with (2) DW5000 on my double bass kit, from the mid-80's until the early-mid 90's, but when I moved to a double pedal, I of course, bought a DW5000. I ended up hating not only the left pedal, but the main pedal, as well.

I also had a good run with Pearl Eliminator strap drive pedals, (and I've always hated everything Pearl) until a student brought in his Tama Speed Cobra, back in 2012. Since then, I've played nothing but Tama Speed Cobras, and haven't looked back. Still love them.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the PDP B.O.A. Pedal.

It doesn’t have a spring but soley relies on traction from the footboard, and does a killing job at that.

Really pleasantly surprised.
I’ll look it up ‘cause I don’t understand how footboard traction can replace a spring. Cool looking pedal btw.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the PDP B.O.A. Pedal.

It doesn’t have a spring but soley relies on traction from the footboard, and does a killing job at that.

Really pleasantly surprised.
I just watched the (inventor) Bob Gatzen video on the BOA. Very interesting pedal indeed, using the flexibility of the footboard to propel and repel the beater.

For anyone wondering about how it works, here’s the video.The BOA sure has a lot of adjustments on it.

It appears to be discontinued. I’d like to dig one up someday though.

cabasner

Reaction score
I have the Pearl Demon Drive P-3002D Double Pedal, which I got after trying a large number of pedals. I love everything DW, but I just didn't like any of their pedals (this was before they offered their MDD direct drive pedals, which would have been too expensive, anyway). But these Pearl pedals are really something, with, essentially, inline skate wheel bearings. Plus, they look cool!! :booty:

Slingwig26

Reaction score
My first favorite pedal was a Premier 252 I got in the late 70’s with my 1st kit, a 3pc. WMP Kent. ( Had 60’s Rogers PowerTone BDP snare I foolishly let go). When that finally broke, I next favorite pedal was an early 90’s Yamaha Flying Dragon. I loved that til it broke in the late 00’s. Now my favorite is a Ludwig Atlas Pro pedal. Like ‘em so much, I bought 3 and may get 1 more. I had DW 5000 double pedal from late 80’s, I hated those.

zeichner

Reaction score
I have a Pearl P-950, which I think is a bit of a rarity. As far as I can tell, it was only produced for a couple years (around 1989-90). It has two features that I have not seen on any other pedals. First, the screw for the hoop clamp is at the top of the pedal frame, so it is incredibly easy to access. Second, the angle of the spring is adjustable, which controls when the spring kicks in. For instance, when the bottom of the spring is angled forward (toward the head), you feel the tension as soon as you start pressing the pedal down. And if the bottom of the spring is angled backward (toward the foot board), you don't start to feel the tension until the beater is close to the head.
IMG_0730.jpg

Pearl-1989-spare-parts-P-950.jpg

Imperial Star

Reaction score
I just picked up a Pearl P100 TW double kick pedal for 60 bucks on craigslist. Its in really good shape. The only thing is the bushings on the hinge of one of the pedals are worn making the pedal have too much side to side play. Seems like it should be an easy fix. Any idea how to get them? Looks like a pin all the way though. Also are the bushings available? I know its quite old.

exliontamer

Reaction score
I like cheap yamaha chain pedals, DW5000 with strap and recently I've been completely converted to the Tama Dyna-sync which is perfect.

Do any of them make me play faster ? I don't think so.

Speed is in your feet but some pedals do feel better than others to the individual.
Also speed is no longer that important to me. If I can do reasonably fast doubles that's all I need really.
Confidence and accuracy of note are more important than speed.
That last part is so dead on for me. Tooting my own horn a bit, I actually have a steady/fast right foot but it's not something that really gets used or that I want to hear for 98% of what I play on. It's taken me 27 years of playing to figure out that looser than average spring tension and a square beater is what makes me feel confident in most situations. It has a slightly more sluggish quality but the thud sounds great under a mic(the square beater seems to give a lower fundamental) and the balance of it is reassuring. It's also been a fun challenge. I'm glad I spent time on my Tony Thompson, Bonham doubles and I love that kind playing but I just don't find myself in situations where it's appropriate.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a Pearl P100 TW double kick pedal for 60 bucks on craigslist. Its in really good shape. The only thing is the bushings on the hinge of one of the pedals are worn making the pedal have too much side to side play. Seems like it should be an easy fix. Any idea how to get them? Looks like a pin all the way though. Also are the bushings available? I know its quite old.
Take a look at this and see if you see the part.
If you do, mail Pearl and ask them to send it to you.

Elvis

Imperial Star

Reaction score
Elvis Thanks. I'll dig though that tonite. Still have no idea how to remove the pin though. On other pedals I see there are hex heads to undo but not on this one. Don't wanna start tapping and break the aluminum.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
In that case, you might wanna write to Pearl first...might be one of those things that have to be drilled out...:dontknow: