Let's talk about pedals!

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just found the double model and hh stand too.

All of this for much less than the MDD single.

And this double pedal can be converted to my lefty mode.

marc3k

Reaction score
Mine as well. I did add a little beater weight (Tama I think) to the shaft for a bit more oomph in higher volume contexts. In the original state, they are great for soft&fast playing though, something I feel is lacking with bigger, heavier models - where, even though bearing etc. are great, there's sometimes too much inertia.
Seb, do you play heel-down and play off the head? I just read a review where it was argued that in it's original state it promotes burying the beater - and if you want to play off the head you'll probably loose some of the benefits of this pedal. Do you feel the same?

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Seb, do you play heel-down and play off the head? I just read a review where it was argued that in it's original state it promotes burying the beater - and if you want to play off the head you'll probably loose some of the benefits of this pedal. Do you feel the same?
The Jojo pedal? No, not really. It's a very sensitive, light pedal, great for letting it bounce off the head. I rather remember a renowned NYC big band drummer mentioning he had issues with it not providing enough power.
More recently, I've been more into dry, muffled bd sounds. Not necessarily burying the beater, but not against it either. I have been thinking about going back to a Pearl Eliminator I used before because it's heavier, but that little beater weight has been sufficient so far.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just picked up a Pearl P100 TW double kick pedal for 60 bucks on craigslist. Its in really good shape. The only thing is the bushings on the hinge of one of the pedals are worn making the pedal have too much side to side play. Seems like it should be an easy fix. Any idea how to get them? Looks like a pin all the way though. Also are the bushings available? I know its quite old.
- Buy an Axis or Trick universal. That should give you a slack free
pedal.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lefty drummer wishing a certain model of double pedal was available for your backwards feet? I’m looking at you, Tama Dyna Sync.

I found a video awhile back showing how to convert any right footed double pedal to lefty. I’ll post it when I dig it up. Seemed like this thread might be an appropriate place to share the info.

Ralph27

Reaction score
I've used my Camco since I bought my fist kit back in 86 and it's still kicking! I just noticed what I did there!

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Lefty drummer wishing a certain model of double pedal was available for your backwards feet? I’m looking at you, Tama Dyna Sync.

I found a video awhile back showing how to convert any right footed double pedal to lefty. I’ll post it when I dig it up. Seemed like this thread might be an appropriate place to share the info.
Some Yamaha pedals can do this from themselfes.

Not every pedal can have this done as some have different (one way) build back parts.

The PDP BOA can too. That is why I bought it.
EFCE2703-C67B-4CEB-B83D-455EFBE8C434.jpeg

I have to let a friend do it as I don’t have the right allen Key.

The Trick shaft came in for Christmas too. A gift from the Mrs.

marc3k

Reaction score
The Jojo pedal? No, not really. It's a very sensitive, light pedal, great for letting it bounce off the head. I rather remember a renowned NYC big band drummer mentioning he had issues with it not providing enough power.
More recently, I've been more into dry, muffled bd sounds. Not necessarily burying the beater, but not against it either. I have been thinking about going back to a Pearl Eliminator I used before because it's heavier, but that little beater weight has been sufficient so far.
Awesome, thanks for the insight!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used my Camco since I bought my fist kit back in 86 and it's still kicking! I just noticed what I did there!
I realize you simply missed typing the "r", but something about a "Camco Fist series" has an appealing ring to it, in a modern sense. :-D

Elvis

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha Flying Dragons and Tama Speed Cobras for me.

loser_wizard

Reaction score
I took a long Saturday lunch and A/B tested 5 different pedals at my local music shop and had the most fun playing the Iron Cobra 900, so grabbed that. I don't have the best feet, though.

I wasn't sure what exactly I wanted when I went in, just that the 25 year old, $20 dollar Mapex pedal kind of disintegrated one day while playing.

I tried the Demon Drive, DW 5000, 9000 and machined pedal, Jojo's. I don't think I have the finesse for any direct drives, just yet. The only thing I would do different is maybe try a longboard, but I'm happy with the Iron Cobra 900.

Edit: OH, and I bought the Iron Cobra Lever Glide hi hat stand, too. I do like it, but I honestly liked the DW 9500 hat stand better, but felt conflicted about mixing brands. I went with what my kick drum foot preferred, lol. One day I will own TWO full drum kits!

Last edited:

Ralph27

Reaction score
I realize you simply missed typing the "r", but something about a "Camco Fist series" has an appealing ring to it, in a modern sense. :-D

Elvis
Ha! And I'm an English teacher! See what happens with all this remote teeching! Though, I do love that pedal, even if it makes a lot of extraneous noise in the mechanism

Imperial Star

Reaction score
- Buy an Axis or Trick universal. That should give you a slack free
pedal.
I thought I could fix them up but non servicable parts..I can however appalacian engineer it to work....But I just bought Speed Cobra 910's and Matching Hi Hat stand...So I quit the oldsters

PPF

Reaction score
honestly I always play the cheapest pedals on the market XD
simply because they are the lightest and I`m not a metal drummer. merry christmas to all of you!

Edit: but the best pedal I ever played was actually this

would even consider spending 100$ on buying this thing :D

Last edited:

Ian S

Reaction score
Edit: OH, and I bought the Iron Cobra Lever Glide hi hat stand, too. I do like it, but I honestly liked the DW 9500 hat stand better, but felt conflicted about mixing brands. I went with what my kick drum foot preferred, lol. One day I will own TWO full drum kits!

There may be the hope that matching pedals or at least pedals made by the same brand would operate in a complimentary fashion. But if the matching brand pedals set aren't both really a match with your feet, why not go for the best of both worlds.

At heart I mix and match to find a pairing such as bourbon and chocolate or Fred and Ginger, and found my comfort with Ddrum Quicksilver bass pedal and either a Gibraltar 6707 (heavy, extra stability for my 16" hats), or an Iron Cobra 200 for everything else. Oh, yes 3's not a pair, I guess it's a love triangle there..

AustinFitz

Reaction score
I've been using this modified Pearl P-102TW Powershifter from the early 2000s for about 6 months now, and I absolutely love it!

I took the bigger footboards from a much older Pearl P-792TW double pedal, ditched the hinges between the heel plates and footboards, then made brackets bolting them together into solid longboards. Put some hinges underneath them, and voila! A P-102TW Powershifter but with big, wide, longboards! They feel much more natural to me compared to the old hinged heel plates. The Powershifter adjustment is still fully functional as well, although the bolt is a bit harder to access now. I didn't want to drill through the footboards though, so I'm okay with that sacrafice.

First pic is of the P-102TW before any modifications.
IMG_20200420_210444.jpg

Then this is the master pedal afterwards. The slave pedal got the exact same treatment.
20200430_212654_HDR-01.jpeg
20200430_212749_HDR-01.jpeg
20200430_213136_HDR-01.jpeg
20200430_213016_HDR-01.jpeg

marc3k

Reaction score
My favourite single pedals being the Sonor Perfect Balance ( both models). They feel light , fast and smooth . I have also found them to be very reliable too.
Yes! I finally got my Perfect Balance pedal - and it is awesome! I unpacked it and set it up without doing any adjustments and it feels great! It feels like it sticks to my foot and I feel like I can do faster stuff more easily - wow! Maybe it's the strap - it's my first pedal with a strap. I used an Iron Cobra before.

RayB

Reaction score
Currently Ddrum Quicksilver direct drive. Single pedal option. It's really really nice and feels nice under foot, wasn't difficult to dial up and in. I had an inexpensive Tama years ago and it was fine, and I had a vintage Ludwig before that and it was also fine, but I'll stick with this one unless I come across something I can't imagine.

I'm not the double pedals type..

I own one of these, too, and I think it's a great pedal. Also own a Pearl Demon Drive direct, which may be built a little better but cost twice as much. I've got the Quicksilver set up just the way I want, love it. Comes with a chain drive option, too. Great value any way you look at it.