Lets talk Mapex drums & hardware

dwludzild

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I sold lots of Mapex drums, pedals and hardware when I was in the music store business. Every now and then people ask about Mapex hardware and I always chime in and say that I never once in 5 years had one problem with any Mapex item I ever sold. When I got my first DW kit I had all Mapex 900 pedals and stands. I also had a trans purple birdseye snare that was killer. My "V" series kit that I had for special "BAD" gigs, "you know the ones where your kit has to spend the night" in a really trashy dive of a joint kind of place sounded nice with better heads.

Great drums, pedals, hardware and their chrome is some of the best in the drum business.

So there is my first NON "dw ludwig zildjian" topic in a while.

Signals

Reaction score
I sold lots of Mapex drums, pedals and hardware when I was in the music store business. Every now and then people ask about Mapex hardware and I always chime in and say that I never once in 5 years had one problem with any Mapex item I ever sold. When I got my first DW kit I had all Mapex 900 pedals and stands. I also had a trans purple birdseye snare that was killer. My "V" series kit that I had for special "BAD" gigs, "you know the ones where your kit has to spend the night" in a really trashy dive of a joint kind of place sounded nice with better heads.

Great drums, pedals, hardware and their chrome is some of the best in the drum business.

So there is my first NON "dw ludwig zildjian" topic in a while.

I, too, have never experienced any issues with 2 Saturn's, 2 pro-M's and a Meridian kit. I don't particularly like the look of the hardware, but it's definitely durable. One thing that doesn't help Mapex' cause is that the cost of the top-line stuff has gone through the roof, and if one is gonna choose between Mapex and Yamaha, DW, or even Tama and Pearl, they'll likely go with the latter due to name recognition.

dirtcity

Reaction score
I can chime in here.

I have a Pro M and it's really a great kit. It tunes up nicely, it looks pretty, and it sounds great. My only problem is the claws on the bass drum, but even that isn't such a big deal to me.

The stands that came with my kit are actually quite nice. I decided to start using those instead of my super heavy Pearl hardware and it all holds up just wonderfully. I'd really enjoy having a Saturn some time down the road.

dwludzild

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I sold a younger guy a Saturn kit in 10, 12, 14, 16, 22 in wax natural with the walnut ply inside and he still says its one of the best kits he has ever played. I think that walnut adds a lot of warmth to the tone. One of the rental companies out here really likes Saturns as well.

Coelacanth

DFO Star
Reaction score
Mapex is doing a lot of things right these days. About the only thing I'd trade in my Sonor Delites for would be a set of Mapex Orions in Limited Edition Ocean Blue Burl. Jaw-dropping incredible!

Jim P

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Like the Fish I've chimed in about mapex in the past. Bought my son the 8,10,12 w/legs, 18 BD and 12 snare kit when he was 7. He's 14 now and it sounds great for a low level kit and is holding up nicely. Still looks brand spanking new. ( Although it's never been out of the house.) I wouldn't hesitate to purchase ANY piece of equipment from that company. Their stuff is top notch.

fauxrokr

Reaction score
My first good set was an M-birch kit in fusion sizes and I set them aside for awhile after I picked up some Yammie RC's. I have recently pulled them back out and started playing them again and was really impressed with the sound of them. Oh and not a single problem with any of the hardware ever!

R

RickP

Mapex had some issues with their drums and hardware in the late 80s. I can't recall specifics, only to say that most of the shops here in Toronto dropped their line for a period of time due to sets coming back with hardware issues.This has been resolved for quite some time now and Mapex makes excellent drums.
I love their Orion Birdseye maple drums- they have beautiful thin shells with highly figured outer veneers and they just sound great.I loved their Deep Forest Cherry and Walnut drums, definitely something different at the time. Mapex is a very forward thinking drum company that isn't afraid to take chances.

youngantiques

Reaction score
I'd add from from working in music retail that the other good thing about Mapex is their customer service. They take care of any issues ASAP, and their shipping is always super quick.

I've always said their hardware was overlooked, some of the best out there. The new Falcon pedal is amazing and I think I may sell my 5002 to get one. The new Black Panther snares look very impressive as well. I'd love to check some out in person.

As for drums, great quality for the money. I bought a VX Plasma kit as a "beater" kit (it's actually a "Jellybean" Plasma kit) and most soundmen assume it's a high end kit.

nickg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
got my first Mapex Orion kit way back in 1991 when Mapex was first being introduced in the USA when I got an endorsement from them. at that time they were being distributed by MIDCO in Effingham IL. Kendall Nelson at MIDCO was a great help in getting me that deal. NO ONE knew who Mapex was at that time and everyone always asked about the kit. that set held up TREMENDOUSLY for 15 years on the road with NO problems.

then i got my new Pro M kit back in 2006 and is probably my favorite kit i've ever owned.

they've come a LONG way since 1991 for sure and are now a major force in the drum company world as i see many many drummers playing their kits.

here's an outdoor pic of my Pro M setup i took real quick when i first got them.

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a few closeout Mapex Black Panther 6x13 snare drums that are amazing drums. Very well built, nice fit and finish, etc. The Cherry version is my main gigging snare with my Fibes kit and sounds great. I also recently scored a Mapex Meridian Manhattan bop kit. Great kit, very well built, nice fit and finish, etc... I bought this one used with intentions to eventualy flip but I like them too much to sell. I'm not crazy about their hardware as it is kind of bulky and clunkly looking. Their isolation mounts for the floor tom legs, bass drum spurs, and tom mounts, on the Saturn and orions are functional although ugly, but they sound great. They did do a nice job on the isolation tom mount on the Meridan series. Overall great drums but the name is is hard to get past.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
A friend of mine was actually president of Mapex for a while. He worked very hard on the product and visibility. Although he has moved on, they are starting to gain some market share. The product is there. They have all of the product levels covered as well. Student to pro.
There has been a lot of negative feedback regarding the name, over the last 20 years. It's probably not going to change. It is a foreign owned corporation, and they just didn't see the name as a problem, believing that the product would validate the name eventually. They may be right. There are a lot of house sets in clubs around Nashville. None in the studios that I have ever seen. The club drums get pretty beat up, as they are mostly in the bars along Lower Broadway. If they can survive that, then they are made well enough. I did hear a musician once make a comment about the drums and the name, and it referenced a women's hygiene product. That would have made ME think about the name a little more.... :unsure:

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
A friend of mine was actually president of Mapex for a while. He worked very hard on the product and visibility. Although he has moved on, they are starting to gain some market share. The product is there. They have all of the product levels covered as well. Student to pro.
There has been a lot of negative feedback regarding the name, over the last 20 years. It's probably not going to change. It is a foreign owned corporation, and they just didn't see the name as a problem, believing that the product would validate the name eventually. They may be right. There are a lot of house sets in clubs around Nashville. None in the studios that I have ever seen. The club drums get pretty beat up, as they are mostly in the bars along Lower Broadway. If they can survive that, then they are made well enough. I did hear a musician once make a comment about the drums and the name, and it referenced a women's hygiene product. That would have made ME think about the name a little more.... :unsure:
Yes, the name is downside to their marketing. In fact what was Apple thinking with the new "I pad" That name has been a huge source of critisism and really sounds like a woman's hygiene product. :lol:

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, even Carmine Appice endorsers them now. <_< :-D

Then again, so does Hal Blaine. :notworthy:

Really, it's no secret that Mapex makes excellent drums, like the rest of the big Asian companies. Many players are probably NOT aware of their partnership with Sonor. When you see Sonor products made in Taiwan, it's in the Mapex factory.

I just can't get past the breakfast cereal name, but that's just me. :blink:

art

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i have 2 Mapex kits and love them both. Use my V series kit for gigging and have kinda retired my trusty and much loved Pro M kit.

Snooter

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Aurora ,Indiana (south west from Cinci Oh)
I have two mapex pro-m kits both in the same finish as EvenStevens. Blue ice really pops. Mapex drums are great. The name and the fact that almost every time thier name is mentioned it's followed by "those are chinese made" doesn't seem to help them. What isn't made in China these days?. As a drummer I don't so much look at brand only in making a drum choice. I've owned my pro-m's for about three years and I have no real complaints.

Chunchunchun

Young Whippersnapper
Reaction score
As mentioned in a thread about the new Black Panthers, I've never really been a Mapex fan. Was gonna buy one, ended up with my Sonor kit that sounds a lot better to me (I think the Mapex was a low-end one, Sonor is a Force 2005 which still sounds great). Also, I played a gig with what must have been a bottom end Mapex kit, and from all the love they get here, I imagine it was badly tuned, because it didn't sound that good to me really. Also, I played it with a set of Sabian Solars, no wonder it left a bad impression!

All that said, the new BP line has seriously changed my view of Mapex! I never really paid attention to the BP line, but now I am dead set on getting myself either The Panther or The Sledgehammer when I have enough money after new hi hats!

zildjian@consol

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've played only one Mapex with really bad heads, so really can't tell. Never heard a bad word about their products.Going to by a cymbal stand one day thought I'd give them a try.That stand was just as much as a DW stand, not happining here.I could resale a DW stand for a better price anyday. Got to think about the big picture sometimes and resale is allways an option.

Latest posts