Lets talk Mapex drums & hardware

logogogue

Reaction score
What color is your kit, NickG? It looks sweet! Actually, it looks like WMP but with larger, more traditional chip sizes in the pearl than most of the current WPM finishes today. Thanks!
it's called Vanilla Cream Pearl, and pics really do NOT do justice to it. they discontinued the finish last year unfortunately. here's another more close up pic of the finish, but still doesn't capture the beauty of it.
Looking quite fine from where I sit!

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Having played a handful of kits made of "Chinese Maple," I can assure you that it does NOT sound like north american maple. Way more basswood-ish, and certainly not bad (especially when built out well), but to my ears, it's a different beast, albeit with some common qualities.

Ask yourself this... "Philippine Mahogany" and "African Mahogany." Any difference?

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
About three years ago I found a Pro M shellpack at MusicGoRound, "used" but unused, barely a mark on the stock heads, great price (as some folks have said, resale value is not great, and I got the benefit of that). Beautiful wrap, Black Chrome Pearl, it could pass as a "Ringo kit" to non-drummers. Very solid, great sound, I replaced the heads and actually removed the badges, which I find ugly. Pretty heavy drums, the hardware seems like overkill with the weight, but it sure keeps everything in place. This is my only kit that's not from the 70's, and I'm glad I have it.

This isn't a great photo of the drums, but it gives the idea, I hope.

View attachment 98163

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes the name Mapex is kind of cheap sounding but is Tama any cooler. I have owned a few Mapex kits through the years and all the kits were decent. The hardware design on some of the sets is over engineered and a bit clunkly IMHO. The Saturn ISO kick spurs, floor tom legs, and tom mounts have steered me away from owning a set. Otherwise, the Saturn's maple shell with the inner plies of walnut are amazing sounding drums. The newer Meridian Maple and birch series hit a home run. They are very well designed, clean looking and well built. I bought a Meridian Maple Manhattan bop kit used to check out and it's become one of my favorite kits. I replaced all the Remo UT heads with coated ambs. top, clear ambs. reso, a Powerstroke 3 kick batter,and a Fiberskyn kick reso. The kit sounds pro level with a wide tuning range and is a pleasure to play. Also,a friend has a Pro M kit at his house I practice on and the kit sounds great with clear Emps too.
As far as resale, buy your Mapex kit used and you can't go wrong. My local GC has a mint blue sparkle 10,12,14,22 Saturn kit on the floor for $849.00

logogogue

Reaction score
Yes the name Mapex is kind of cheap sounding but is Tama any cooler. I have owned a few Mapex kits through the years and all the kits were decent. The hardware design on some of the sets is over engineered and a bit clunkly IMHO. The Saturn ISO kick spurs, floor tom legs, and tom mounts have steered me away from owning a set. Otherwise, the Saturn's maple shell with the inner plies of walnut are amazing sounding drums. The newer Meridian Maple and birch series hit a home run. They are very well designed, clean looking and well built. I bought a Meridian Maple Manhattan bop kit used to check out and it's become one of my favorite kits. I replaced all the Remo UT heads with coated ambs. top, clear ambs. reso, a Powerstroke 3 kick batter,and a Fiberskyn kick reso. The kit sounds pro level with a wide tuning range and is a pleasure to play. Also,a friend has a Pro M kit at his house I practice on and the kit sounds great with clear Emps too.
As far as resale, buy your Mapex kit used and you can't go wrong. My local GC has a mint blue sparkle 10,12,14,22 Saturn kit on the floor for $849.00
Jeff,
That's a great looking kit. Looks like the bass drum is on a lift? Which one are you using?

TheArchitect

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No issues or complaints here. I do use some Yamaha hardware to minimize the number of stand required but the Mapex drums and hardware are all nice and solid.

That is an M Birch kit and it sounds great.

retired

Reaction score
Here's my new (used) Mapex Saturns. 20, 10,12,14. These drums look and sound absolutely excellent. Everything is top notch on these. Nice and pretty tone with a strong bottom end---and they cut no problem. I happen to really like the suspension system, looks AND performance wise. I've never liked RIMS or RIMS type suspension, as I've always had trouble tuning with those on (I cannot tell when they are finger tight---which is where I start)---no problem here.

RonR

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jeff,
That's a great looking kit. Looks like the bass drum is on a lift? Which one are you using?
No lift on the kick, I don't feel a need for one as it's set up for jazz. The kit did come with a Mapex Gibralter style lift, but I have never installed it

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe the pro M line and the Orions shared the same shell.

nickg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's my new (used) Mapex Saturns. 20, 10,12,14. These drums look and sound absolutely excellent. Everything is top notch on these. Nice and pretty tone with a strong bottom end---and they cut no problem. I happen to really like the suspension system, looks AND performance wise. I've never liked RIMS or RIMS type suspension, as I've always had trouble tuning with those on (I cannot tell when they are finger tight---which is where I start)---no problem here.

RonR
i've always loved that finish....sweet!!!

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I believe the pro M line and the Orions shared the same shell.
If you are speaking of the Orion Orbitor, then you are more correct than not. Pro M and Meridian are the same shells, the Meridian having updated hardware. The Orion Orbitor and the modern Orion have little in common by comparison.

johnny_g

Reaction score

RonR
Ron, Those are some nice looking Saturns! I've got a Mars Pro kit from the late 90's in the same sizes and the 20" bass drum is tight and powerful. This has been my main gigging kit for years as I rarely bring a vintage kit to a gig. The Mars Pro have maple/mahogany(luan)shells. I have no problem with the Mapex tom suspension mounts from this era and have tested to be sure they're not distorting the drum sound. I removed the tom mount from the top of the bass drum and, since I prefer a 4 piece, I use two Mapex tri stands. I have two cymbal arms and the 12" tom mounted on one, and three cymbal arms mounted on the other to which I attach the 14" tom with a Mapex clamp direct to the stand (see photo). This means, although heavy, I only have the two tri stands to lug along with a snare and hi hat stand, and set up is quick. I really like this system. I traded Donn Bennett a mid'70s 6 ply red sparkle Ludwig kit that had rack toms with bad factory bearing edges for this kit in 2000 just so I could have something to play that I could tune. Although I still regret trading, as the Ludwig kit was the first I'd owned and the only new kit I've ever purchased, the Mapex kit saved me at the time and I still like it. The emerald color on the 12" tom and the bass is off on this set and in the photo you can see the correct color on the bass drum hoops and the 14" tom. I'm sure Donn got this kit new as a second from Mapex for cheap. Cheers, J

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...
Reaction score
What color is your kit, NickG? It looks sweet! Actually, it looks like WMP but with larger, more traditional chip sizes in the pearl than most of the current WPM finishes today. Thanks!
it's called Vanilla Cream Pearl, and pics really do NOT do justice to it. they discontinued the finish last year unfortunately. here's another more close up pic of the finish, but still doesn't capture the beauty of it.

I KNEW it was a sweet finish....sweet creamy vanilla!! ;-) Thanks for that. It's a very nice-looking finish and I certainly believe that it looks even more amazing in person than in photos.