Lets talk Mapex drums & hardware

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I bought a Mapex stand for a Rogers experiment. The stand has two cymbal arms and a tom holder arm. The tom holder fits into a Swivo tom mount. The stand is excellent. Ace

dexplosion

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a Mapex stand for a Rogers experiment. The stand has two cymbal arms and a tom holder arm. The tom holder fits into a Swivo tom mount. The stand is excellent. Ace
I've done the same thing.
One day I was like, "I wonder if this hex arm could fit my Rogers tom?"
What do you know, it can. :smile:

ataboc

Reaction score
My first nice kit was a Pro M in rock sizes. It was a great kit. but i wouldn't buy one again.

I still use the hi-hat stand and two cymbal stands that came with it.

trixonian

DFO Master
Reaction score
My first nice kit was a Pro M in rock sizes. It was a great kit. but i wouldn't buy one again.

If it was great why wouldn't you buy one again?

ataboc

Reaction score

If it was great why wouldn't you buy one again?
Yeah, what he said!......?
Overall, for the price, the kit is pretty darn nice. yes, for the price, it's great.

But,

Heads don't like to fit on the bass drum.

The sizes are wrong, 18X24 and 11X13. Not my favorite. Yes i know i could cut them down or buy different sizes...

I'm not a fan of the lugs or the bass drum claws.

The hardware is outstanding and I still use it today. The kit is in my buddy's garage where we practice and I play it weekly.

Simply put, I would buy something else.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree about the lugs. They're pretty damn fugly.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
More MAPEX love...

I've got the 6.5x14 - Hell of a drum.
It's warmer than most metal snares.
Do you mind if I ask about your head choice? This one has a worn Ambassador and the 1998 stock reso. I just bought it on Monday. I was thinking about trying a REMO Skyntone and see what that's like on it.

dexplosion

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an Evans Onyx over a Hazy 300 on it right now, as I use it as a gigging snare (for durability mostly and to match the toms) but it does sound decent.

My preference though for this snare and most others is a coated G1 over Hazy 300.
I've used a Powercenter Reverse Dot with good results as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with anything really.
It's not too picky I've found.

Iandrumz

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Orions really have no real value proposition. Same shells as the Meridian maple with nicer finishes (veneers) and the choice of black and gold hardware. I don't see paying 4-5X more for those options.
I am wondering where you get your information.

A cursory overview from MAPEX USA:

Orion
7-ply, North American Maple
7.5mm bass drums
6.1mm toms

Meridian
7-ply Chinese Maple
7.2mm bass drums
5.8mm toms

While these differences (except the wood) may seem small on paper, they do show that the drums are made to different specifications and with different materials.
Hi, Late to this thread I know.
Mapex have some of the best drums out there just now IMHO. I was at a Dom Famularo clinic a couple of months ago and he was playing a Saturn kit. It sounded killer.
Long story short the kit was still sitting in the store a month later and I bought it.
Then another Drum shop I like had a killer deal on a used Mapex Pro M 6 piece Classic . The kit was from 2006 and flawless. It is NA maple. 20X22 virgin bass 10X12, 11x13,rack toms. 16 and 18 floors complimented by a 7X14 matching snare. Mapex bags for all the drums Best $600 I ever spent.
They started using Asian maple in 2007 to differentiate the Pro M from the Orion. (see link for specs)
http://usa.mapexdrums.com/news/news_story.asp?ID=100

While I will never part with my Premier Signias or Genistas. I have to say Mapex is making really top notch gear

SHERRI TURNER

Reaction score
Mapex had some issues with their drums and hardware in the late 80s. I can't recall specifics, only to say that most of the shops here in Toronto dropped their line for a period of time due to sets coming back with hardware issues.This has been resolved for quite some time now and Mapex makes excellent drums.
I love their Orion Birdseye maple drums- they have beautiful thin shells with highly figured outer veneers and they just sound great.I loved their Deep Forest Cherry and Walnut drums, definitely something different at the time. Mapex is a very forward thinking drum company that isn't afraid to take chances.
I've got a 6-piece Deep Forest Walnut kit for sale. Includes all hardware and Zildjian cymbals. I'll take pictures if interested.

Latest posts