Lets talk: snares with dual tension adjustment

44Ronin

Reaction score
Considering a drum with the new microsensitive strainer & butt plate.

Having never used one, does dual tension adjustment on a snare (as in the butt plate has tension adjustment as well as the lever side)..actually offer anything opposed to single tension adjustment?

Not talking about parallel drop throw systems (which are unpractical imho)

Does it offer twice the chance of the tension backing out? (Mind you, my snare drums with lightning strainer have never had the tension back off)

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
IMO the big advantage of an adjustable butt is for strainers that have stepped positions, where the steps might not be at 100% ideal positions with a fixed butt. Or of course with strainers that have little or no adjustment. I don't know if there would be any advantage when used with a fully adjustable no-steps strainer.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
You can keep the wires centered without having to loosen the screws at the butt end. That's about it, imo.

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
Echoing what Bongomania said, the DW 3-position buttplate makes it possible to quickly and accurately switch between loose, normal, and tight. Also agree with Seb77 about centering the snares. Less hassle than with a normal buttplate.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stickinthemud said:
Also agree with Seb77 about centering the snares. Less hassle than with a normal buttplate.
I agree. I found this quite practical on an 80's Pearl COB I had. The 70's one I use now has that strange T-shaped butt end that is "adjustable" by loosening 2 screws and sliding it up and down & I can see why they went actual tensioners on both ends later on.

TDM

Yapping Internet Mutt
Reaction score
Most of the pros and cons have already been noted by others. Here's my list.

Pros:
- Allows centering wires without removing the wires
- Might provide easier adjustability with a multi-position stepped throw
- Yields twice as much range to tighten / loosen the wires

Cons:
- Two slippage points for the wires instead of just one
- More weight (two complex mechanisms instead of just the one)

The reason I say "Might provide easier adjustability with a multi-position stepped throw" is one can adjust a multi-position throw at the throw side, too. There is no requirement to have dual tension adjustment with a multi-position throw.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I have several snares with the dual tension feature. I really prefer this for one of the reasons mention and that's centering the wires side to side. I think it also makes it a bit easier when changing wires because you don't have to be too exact when attaching the butt end. Another slight advantage is having two opposite points to make adjustments on the fly, so either hand can easily reach a knob. I really think the added weight is so minuscule as to be irrelevant. Also, my snares that have the dual adjusters are nicer drums and the hardware is not prone to slippage. While I prefer it, it's only a minor selling point and I don't dislike any of my single adjustment snares, in fact I'm quite fond of them all! It is a small bonus "attention to detail" item and for some of us, these small things make us happy. Yes, we are a simple lot...