Let's talk Turks...

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've never owned one...but I love the look and I've listened to a few demos on youtube (crashes)...
Who's got 'em, which ones?...how would you describe them...how do you use them (styles)?

Thanks in advance........

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
They been out since about 1986
there's heavy and light ones
there's flat ones
and hi hats too
there's a lathed edge about 1/4" wide on the edge
top only
what styles? Check Jack DeJohnette with Keith Jarrett trio

Reactions: dtk

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
It seems like most of the Turk models, regardless of brand, fall into the two categories as JDA mentioned, mainly heavy or light/thin.

The heavy stuff (usually rides) always seemed sort of one-dimensional in that the sound is always very dry and cutting, but noticeably darker than, say, a classic A Ping ride.

The thin models are much more interesting. They can be all over the place sonically. I had two Bosphorus Turk Thin rides, both 20" and almost identical weights. One was washy with some nice stick definition on top. The other was dry as a bone. Seriously, it sounded dead, but in a good way!

I've been using an Agop 20" Turk Jazz ride and I love it. The stick never goes away, and you have a slight bit of trashy wash underneath. They are a litttle more quiet than a regular old K or A, but not by much. The stick definition more than makes up for the lack of percieved volume. You can also put a small piece of gaff tape on there to take out the last little gasp of wash.

One of the things that sort of gets missed when listening to videos online is how much different the Turk cymbals can sound on top vs. out in the room. The Turks always seem to be a bit more brash and clangy than they really are in the context of a band.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I set up my 20" Mehmet Turk ride on the home kit just yesterday for a little go-round and I still love it!
At 2600 grams, it's no lightweight but it has that dry & cutting projection which is ideal for the un-mic'd dance gigs I do. Switch to a maple ball tip and the tonality gets mellower while still maintaining good stick definition. Had mine over a decade, it's a definite keeper.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have a Bos Turk 21" with 2 rivets - light, fantastic jazz ride - dark crash, nice bell, the rivets make it so buttery.

I have a Bos 19" Master Vintage - it looks nearly identical - I don't use it at all. I'd be inclined to sell/trade it.

TPC

Reaction score
My current favorite unlatched cymbal is a 21” Paiste DE Light Dark. The best “Turk” ride I’ve played by a long shot.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
So far I haven't found a full Turk that I liked on its own. I've heard some that sounded good in a particular mix, so they have a place for sure, but when I'm sitting behind the kit playing for my own ears, I do not like the full Turks at all. Dead and toneless. It needs at least partial lathing before it starts to open up musically to my taste.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Turks are great for the dark & dry sound. Other posters are correct that they vary quite a bit, from open and full, to very dry and no sustain. I tend to go for the more open sounds.

I have several Mehmet Turk & partial Turk styles (Sultan, Anniversary) and they all sound great with about any genre. particularly good for studio work, and when you need lower volumes. The Bosphorus Turks I have owned were the same, although I find the Mehmets have more projection & shimmer.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Also have Breakbeats (Uptown ride) and 20" K Custom Dry Light Ride.

I loved err liked the 20" K Custom Dry Light Ride I once owned however it was totally unheard (from where I sat) in a semi electric moderate volume pop/rock setting.

I also swung a Istanbul presplit Turk 2782g 20" in a lounge Jazz Swing trio nightclub setting....and it was awesome. I had a fella ask if it was old zildjian many times..

immortalized here:

Pibroch

Reaction score
Two Agop turk flats 20" and 22". Using the bigger one in a soft rock band - has a nice quiet low frequency wash and woody stick attack which doesn't compete with the singer, while maintaining lots of subtle complexity. Has a range of different sounds depending on where you hit it.

Agops are famous / infamous for being inconsistent in this way - they thus require more concentration when playing.

The smaller one is very light for its size, but is quite stiff and louder than the 22" - haven't worked out how to use it in a band context but just adore its sound and had to buy it.

My 18" Bosphorus master vintage flattie is very smooth and even sounding and easier to play by comparison, and like the 22" agop turk, fits in well in the soft rock context.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Discovered yesterday both my 22" Agop turk and 18" Bosphorus masters vintage flats can work beautifully as alternating crashes (climaxing ending of Steve Winwood's "Can't Find My Way Home").Crashing very dry flats I find extremely satisfying, for some reason - both the sound and the physical act.

Latest posts