Letting go a band member is so hard...

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I let our bass player of five months go today...It just wasn't locking in after many rehearsals and a few gigs and he had other band commitments where I'd need to get a sub so the band decided to move on with another guy. And that guy passed through the audition with flying colors. Still, it's very tough to make that call. Probably tougher on me than him...

The clincher was last night (even though the band had made it's mind a month ago) on a gig where my bass player in my Petty subbed (all with two rehearsals) and knocked it out the park. We played Thursday with the guy I let go and it was a world of difference between the two nights. The guy we decided on who auditioned is a pro and came very prepared and also knocked it out of the park.

Here's a clip of us last night with the sub.

Last edited:

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice, Dan! Oh...and it helps to have a pretty trumpet player who can also sing!

I'm also always the guy who has to deliver the bad news. Interestingly, the fired employee always then singles me out as the bad guy.

dale w miller

Reaction score
Nice, Dan! Oh...and it helps to have a pretty trumpet player who can also sing!

I'm also always the guy who has to deliver the bad news. Interestingly, the fired employee always then singles me out as the bad guy.
That’s why it should always be a team doing. It can be the opposite. One time when I was let go the only person who had a problem with me was the one not to show. Believe it or not, I was fired for that gig because I did NOT party.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Band sounds great. And yes, terminating people is never fun or easy, especially if you are empathetic in nature and care about people.

glynch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Band sounds wonderful Dan. Letting people go can be very uncomfortable.

My dad plays bass in a country band. He has all the PA and books all the gigs so that pretty much makes him the band leader. They had a great drummer that had been playing many years in bands around here but he had some pretty major health issues so he had to call it quits. I did a lot of sub work for them while they searched for a permanent replacement. They finally got a guy that my dad used to play with back in the 70's. He'd kind of been out of the game for a while but was thinking about getting back in.

They did a couple of practices and apparently he did ok so they decided to use him. Well the gigs didn't go that well. His time was all over the place, he over played and just lacked the overall feel that they were looking for. It didn't improve after several gigs so they decide to let him go. Since my dad is the "band leader" he's the one that gave him the news. He was very nice about it and said it was just not the right fit but the guy took it very personal. He went on Facebook and started trashing my dad and sent me a rambling message that read like something a sociopath would write..........and I only met the guy one time.

Needless to say it was very awkward.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really good band, Dan. It looks - and sounds - fun.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the kind words. We're looking forward to using the new guy. BTW, the bass player in the video plays in my Petty band. The leader of that band doesn't want me using him because if this band has a gig that conflicts with the Petty band, he only needs to get one sub for me, not two for me and the bass player. Makes sense but we would've loved to use him.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
That’s why it should always be a team doing. It can be the opposite. One time when I was let go the only person who had a problem with me was the one not to show. Believe it or not, I was fired for that gig because I did NOT party.
We did a whole band fire thing once, and the poor guy felt all ganged up on, and one band member (the one who was the most verbal about firing the other) was a wimp and acted all sorry. Bottom line, it's tough any way you do it.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wonder what band throughout history has had the most players cycled through them? I bet Earth, Wind, and Fire come close.
Or maybe Blood, Sweat & Tears. One of the originators, Al Kooper, was out after the first album, before they became mega-famous. I don't believe there are any original members left.

davidh

Reaction score
Maybe a bit of honesty is needed here. "Let go" actually means "fired" - the person presumably did not want to leave of their own volition.
I got fired from a band in the 1970s by a producer persuading everyone I was too quiet, which is how I like to play.
It hurt at the time but when I saw the stage clothes of the new band I was very very glad to be out of it.
I got paid, did the recording but never got to tour dressed like this! The band folded shortly thereafter!
jazz-influence2.jpg

Latest posts