header.nohb.html

Light Thrones

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do not care that my throne is heavy. I'm taking the time and effort to make sure my ass doesn't get chapped or sore during a gig. I can just reduce my set by a couple of cymbals, maybe I don't need toms...But I want my PorkPie throne!

stick2it

Reaction score
Quick update on my Rogers HD8, following my post of several days ago here. I just had a two hour session without getting up from it, and it never occurred to me that it was not sufficiently comfortable. Maybe the HD8's seat becomes more comfortable with a little breaking in? Another thing to consider: if you have more than one throne, your seats might have the same diameter post, which means you can swap out seats. My more comfortable Gibraltar round seat fits on the HD8 base for when I have a longer session to play. The HD8 base is very nice -- maybe the best you can find for a throne that can capably support anyone of us. It also has that vintage vibe.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Quick update on my Rogers HD8, following my post of several days ago here. I just had a two hour session without getting up from it, and it never occurred to me that it was not sufficiently comfortable. Maybe the HD8's seat becomes more comfortable with a little breaking in? Another thing to consider: if you have more than one throne, your seats might have the same diameter post, which means you can swap out seats. My more comfortable Gibraltar round seat fits on the HD8 base for when I have a longer session to play. The HD8 base is very nice -- maybe the best you can find for a throne that can capably support anyone of us. It also has that vintage vibe.
For those of you using the new Rogers, how much does the base weigh without the seat top? I'm guessing it's heavier than the Yamaha 750 base?

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
For those of you using the new Rogers, how much does the base weigh without the seat top? I'm guessing it's heavier than the Yamaha 750 base?
The whole shebang is 8.4 pounds, so I am guessing that the base is six pounds or slightly less.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received my Rogers today, so I decided to do some measurements:
  • Rogers RDH8 (round, single-braced spindle)
    • Base:6lbs 3oz
    • Top: 2lbs 5oz
    • Total: 8lbs 8oz
  • Yamaha DS750 (round, single-braced hollow tube)
    • Base: 5lbs 2oz
    • Top: 2lbs 8oz
    • Total: 7lbs 10oz
  • Yamaha DS840 (round, double-braced spindle)
    • Base: 8lbs 9oz
    • Top: 3lbs 1oz
    • Total: 11lbs 10oz
  • Tama 1st Chair (motorcycle with backrest, double-braced spindle)
    • Base: 6lbs 14oz
    • Top: 10lbs 10oz
    • Top (backrest removed): 8lbs 10oz
    • Total: 17lbs 8oz
    • Total (backrest removed): 15lbs 8oz
  • Porter and Davies Gigster (round)
    • Top: 10lbs 5oz
    • This is a tactile transducer ("booty shaker") built into the seat, hence the high weight

So the Yamaha DS750 still rules the roost for lowest overall weight, but that's the hollow-tube style base. The Rogers does come in at under 1lb heavier, but you get a solid spindle base. The Rogers top is also slightly lighter than the Yamaha.

It's interesting seeing the total spread -- the two heaviest thrones are over twice as heavy as the lightest two thrones.

Yamaha DS750 -- total weight 7lbs 10oz
IMG_0613.jpeg

Rogers RDH8 - total weight 8lbs 8oz
IMG_0614.jpeg

Yamaha DS840 - total weight 11lbs 10oz
IMG_0615.jpeg

Tama 1st Chair - total weight 17lbs 8oz
IMG_0616.jpeg

Porter & Davies Gigster top w/ Tama 1st chair base - total weight 17lbs 3oz
IMG_0618.jpeg

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Received my Rogers today, so I decided to do some measurements:
  • Rogers RDH8 (round, single-braced spindle)
    • Base:6lbs 3oz
    • Top: 2lbs 5oz
    • Total: 8lbs 8oz
  • Yamaha DS750 (round, single-braced hollow tube)
    • Base: 5lbs 2oz
    • Top: 2lbs 8oz
    • Total: 7lbs 10oz
  • Yamaha DS840 (round, double-braced spindle)
    • Base: 8lbs 9oz
    • Top: 3lbs 1oz
    • Total: 11lbs 10oz
  • Tama 1st Chair (motorcycle with backrest, double-braced spindle)
    • Base: 6lbs 14oz
    • Top: 10lbs 10oz
    • Top (backrest removed): 8lbs 10oz
    • Total: 17lbs 8oz
    • Total (backrest removed): 15lbs 8oz
  • Porter and Davies Gigster (round)
    • Top: 10lbs 5oz
    • This is a tactile transducer ("booty shaker") built into the seat, hence the high weight

So the Yamaha DS750 still rules the roost for lowest overall weight, but that's the hollow-tube style base. The Rogers does come in at under 1lb heavier, but you get a solid spindle base. The Rogers top is also slightly lighter than the Yamaha.

It's interesting seeing the total spread -- the two heaviest thrones are over twice as heavy as the lightest two thrones.

Yamaha DS750 -- total weight 7lbs 10oz
View attachment 490717

Rogers RDH8 - total weight 8lbs 8oz
View attachment 490718

Yamaha DS840 - total weight 11lbs 10oz
View attachment 490719

Tama 1st Chair - total weight 17lbs 8oz
View attachment 490720

Porter & Davies Gigster top w/ Tama 1st chair base - total weight 17lbs 3oz
View attachment 490716

Of the lightweight Yamaha and Rogers thrones, which do you prefer and why?

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the lightweight Yamaha and Rogers thrones, which do you prefer and why?

I haven't played the Rogers out on a gig yet, but from what I've seen, I'm a fan of the Rogers base more than the Yamaha base (because it's spindled), but the Yamaha top more (it's thicker / more cushioned). I'll probably use that combination for my "main" rig, and use the Yamaha base / Rogers top with my "ultralight" hardware set.

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the Tama (sans backrest) because I'm heavy and it's heavy. I wouldn't trust a lightweight throne to hold my excess mass.

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gibraltar now says the Airtech weighs 7.26lbs. I wonder how much the base weighs. Does anyone have one?

https://www.gibraltarhardware.com/product/gibraltar-airtech-skinny-top-drum-throne/

I just had one delivered today and will weigh the base as best I can, but it feels quite light! The top is actually nice; I wouldn't use it for a 4-hour gig but for practice or something shorter, it would work. The base has a 7/8" diameter, so I put my SoundSeat top on it and it's a thing of beauty. And I like that it's a spindle design.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any decent lightweight drum thrones out there? I was recently playing a gig where my hardware fit into a small duffel bag (thanks, Tama), but my throne by itself weighed about as much as the rest of my hardware combined. I use a normal roc-n-soc spindle throne, and its heavy.

Ive been thinking about the Yamaha ds750, but I worry about sturdiness. I would hate to have slippage in the middle of a set. Anyone with that particular throne care to comment?
I've never owned a light throne. Do I wanna be comfy? Yes! Do I mind carrying a large-diameter and heavy castered ex-dentist's stool just to be comfy to EVERY place I play, even a venue-owned kit? Yes! Do you want to take it on tours to Europe? Yes! You know it will require it's own road case and still want to? Yes! Now why in Earth would you wanna do that? Because the most important element in drumming is to be comfortable in your posture. I can do six and eight hour practice sessions easily. I've done 17 hour recording sessions on my atomic throne. I own another three. Two are still in their road cases. Drumming shouldn't be a workout at the stage, studio or home. Besides I get the workout loading it and unloading the kit anyway, not while I'm playing. Your comfortability will affect your playing. Bottom line, your back or your mouth will decide when you no longer play.