Lightest 22" K Dark Medium/K Con Medium

deegeebee

Reaction score
What are the lightest versions of the following you have seen? I have a couple on the lighter side of their respective weight ranges but am curious how much lower they go.

K Dark Merium 22" - 2700 g
K Constantinople Medium 22" - 2534 g

Any other "particulary light" modern Zildjians anyone is sitting on?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Those two models would be two of the heaviest (maybe out of 4 or 5?) models in the entire K (Hybrid, Custom, Constantinople, Kerope, Regular) lines right?
I've a 3013g K Dark Medium----and not positive/sure/ lighter would be "any better"----in a model that is made to "project"....

Sometimes "weight" attenuates "dark" (and every other ..side-stick) characteristics'....
especially in "flat profile" cymbals....so that it - weight- is sometimes a "more" of something. Made to project those (desirable) characteristics further..
Almost a "volume" thing. (not necessarily pitch..)

(unless you're concerned about weight for handling/carrying/ transport/ and I don't think you are )..
If weight entirely is the concern other models K Cons MTL etc K Custom Special Dry Crash come to mind..

Last edited:

deegeebee

Reaction score
Wasn't really commenting on whether lighter = better, mostly just curious of what people have come across in terms of weight range for these modern Ks and wondering what there is out there for outliers.
Whether lighter is better will depend on the model, the actual cymbal, the application and most importantly personal preference. For example for me the lighter K Dark Mediums are highly desireable since they have great defenition with a nice dark wash, crash really well and are not too loud compared with the heavier ones. Everyrhing I look for in a ride. But I agree that in other cases lighter examples of some models just don't work as intended compared to typical weights.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Little sidenote; when I mentioned the K Dark Medium 22 to Paul Francis he told me (among other things) that, the cymbal could very well have gone (been placed) (with what went into it) into the K Constantinople line... ; )

cool

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I owned 4 of them at once.
Lightest was just under 2800

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Would love a 22" K Dark Medium in the 2700-2900 range.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 22” K Custom Special Dry Crash is thin. down in the 2000gr range. Some of us use them for rides. Dark, washy, with a rumble going on.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have you ever heard or played a heavier 23" Special Dry Ride?

nope

deegeebee

Reaction score
Haha believe me, I rushed out and bought a 22" special dry crash like everyone else when I saw that video. Very cool cymbal, but still couldn't play like Eric Harland. Ended up passing it on. Don't recall the weight, but it was on the lighter side and lacked a bit of stick you hear in the heavier ones online. So for suee lighter is not always better.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
22 KDM, 1 rivet, 2833g
Love this cymbal, from the very start. Just when I think I'm settled in for the long run I coax more new sounds from it, it's a beast, beauty and the beast :-D

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
JDA, I saw Eric in Sept. at Monterey Jazz and I could swear both L & R rides were Special dry rides. They were both very trashy crashes and the ride was lost in the mix - frankly, they didn't work for me.

To the OP: The "Light" K con line you'd think is lighter, but not always. I had a nice light 22" MTL that I traded, and I think I have a sub-2400 22" thin overhammered.

Latest posts