Lightest drumset you own?

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
With the recent realization that my back isn't what it once was, and with the possible purchase of Crosstown hardware in the offing, I have to also think about the weight of the drums themselves, particularly the bass. I'll admit that I haven't done the Pepsi challenge with all of them, but the heaviest appear to be my Sonor Phonics(shocking, I know), and the 90s Premier Genistas. Pearl MLX, too. True, these are thicker shells, but they also have more chrome on them than the bumper of a '72 Olds Cutlass, which I guess adds to the weight, as do my Gretsch with the die cast hoops.

In a tie for lightest would be my late 60s Slingerlands(not really gig ready at this point) and my 60s/70s Ludwig.

What are your lightest drums? I ask because I may need to lighten up for live playing. I love all of my drums, but the fact that I can bowl the Ludwigs and Slingerlands in comparison to the others makes them contenders for some of the more hellish load-ins.

Dan

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
With the recent realization that my back isn't what it once was, and with the possible purchase of Crosstown hardware in the offing, I have to also think about the weight of the drums themselves, particularly the bass. I'll admit that I haven't done the Pepsi challenge with all of them, but the heaviest appear to be my Sonor Phonics(shocking, I know), and the 90s Premier Genistas. Pearl MLX, too. True, these are thicker shells, but they also have more chrome on them than the bumper of a '72 Olds Cutlass, which I guess adds to the weight, as do my Gretsch with the die cast hoops.

In a tie for lightest would be my late 60s Slingerlands(not really gig ready at this point) and my 60s/70s Ludwig.

What are your lightest drums? I ask because I may need to lighten up for live playing. I love all of my drums, but the fact that I can bowl the Ludwigs and Slingerlands in comparison to the others makes them contenders for some of the more hellish load-ins.

Dan
Dunno about the drums cause all of mine are heavy beasts but yes definitely get the crosstown hardware, it’s awesome.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
Ludwig Standard with the Standard hardware and lugs. It is freakishly light, even compared to lightweight vintage Ludwigs. My Standard 22 kick weighs just under 15 pounds. A comparable modern Classic Maple or Legacy weighs about 23 pounds. The difference is the hardware. The bare shells almost weigh the same.

Almost all of the weight of any drum will be in the hardware. You can drop almost a pound per drum on larger drums like floor toms just by switching from 2.3mm hoops to 1.6mm.

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The tom hoops make a huge difference, this set has 1.6mm rather than the usual 2.3mm
"Noonan" Nesting set Mahogany/Poplar 6 ply 10x8,14x12,18x14 with 70's Ludwig Standard snare.

www.noonandrums.co.uk

BD + Throne Top (1 case) / Snare on a hand cart - Right Hand
Yamaha Crosstown hardware bag w/BD pedal / barrier mat - Left hand
Cymbal backpack case

1 trip load in. I could now do gigs by taking a taxi/train
Mick

Attachments

• Noonan Nesting 1.jpg
    Noonan Nesting 1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Noonan Nesting 2.jpg
    Noonan Nesting 2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 43

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 1966 Ludwig Downbeat kit that is the lightest kit I own. I do agree with the person that said C&C Player Dates. Those are really light drums too.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dunno about the drums cause all of mine are heavy beasts but yes definitely get the crosstown hardware, it’s awesome.
This. For me it’s not the drum weight that bothers me but the hardware. I setup a gigging pack that includes the Yamaha Crosstown stands (3 cymbals stands, HH stand, snare stand) a lightweight Gibraltar throne, old DW5000 pedal, FT legs and post hardware for whatever kit I’m playing. The whole bag weighs less than 40 lbs and can be carried with one hand.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My carbon fiber Tempus kit is super light. Someone above made the comment about needing the weight to maintain “body” of the sound. These things definitely have body to them. The single arch and tube aluminum lugs probably help in weight reduction as well.

Attachments

• 901A2BCB-1EA7-43BE-B82B-088D7B6789D4.jpeg
    901A2BCB-1EA7-43BE-B82B-088D7B6789D4.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 74E5EC8D-DD5F-44E2-8D11-48FD6B8280CB.jpeg
    74E5EC8D-DD5F-44E2-8D11-48FD6B8280CB.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 26

JimmySticks

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 67 Norma MIJ is super light compared to my Pork Pies, but they're made of luan with cheaper hardware so you would expect that. They play very nicely though.

Attachments

• IMG_20200821_135710122.jpg
    IMG_20200821_135710122.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 26

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd factor sizes + weight and agree that the hardware packs/lines now offered for light-weight travel make a nice difference. The little Gretsch mini-kit I had for a while was not quite as light as I anticipated -- confirms what others have written about the weight of the hardware, check out the floor tom legs and spurs and tom mount, that's a lot to carry. BTW, the INDe tom bracket replacement made a huge difference in the rack tom resonance - as packaged by Gretsch, that little drum was really clamped down tight. I'd bet the INDe Wayfarer kit would be worth a look or the WFLIII Broadway series.

gretsch microbop.jpg

1640956103162.png

1640956266450.png

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think my lightest kit is a 60’s Ludwig clubdate. It’s wrapped so a natural finish might be a bit lighter.

I can tell you my heaviest is my sonor phonics, but they do sound good.

Mcdonap

Reaction score
My lightest set is my Summit solid shelled maple drums.
I haven't weighed it, but I'm always shocked at how light the bass drum is.
As I bought it used, I didn't choose the hardware. I believe it's Pearl, and I don't think it was specifically chosen to be lightweight.
As for body - this set is amazing.
DBF76A1B-5373-44B8-88F1-5744D0FA0A7F.jpeg

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My INDēs are definitely the lightest set I own. They're unbelievably on the light side. Cased up, I can grab every shell (4 piece) in one hand. Do I ? No, but have tried it, and it didnt break the back when doing so.

Phantomlimb777

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Canopus is amazingly light for having brass lugs.

I’ve carried a bass drum, floor tom, and snare in individual bags up the stairs in one trip. Can’t do that with my Tama.