Lightest set of 18/14/12 out there?

Jazzhead

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows a standard bop kit out there (18/14/12 modern or vintage and any brand) that is noticeably lighter compared to other kits. There are of course several factors that go into this such as rims used on the drums, hardware, thickness of the shells, thickness of the plies (don’t think this is standard), etc.
I want to know what would be the lightest bop kit that can be carried around easier. My 18x14 6ply maple bass drum feels heavier than my 22x14 3ply Mahogany.
please consider any brand out there new or used and any type of drums. Thanks!

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Inde kits are among the lightest out there.
Here are the weights for that configuration:
12x18, with spurs: 12.1 lbs.
14x14, with legs: 12.9 lbs.
8x12: 6.1lbs.
(Total 31.1 lbs.)
Thanks, example of a light Inde kit you own or encountered?

mpungercar

Reaction score
Inde kits are among the lightest out there.
Here are the weights for that configuration:
12x18, with spurs: 12.1 lbs.
14x14, with legs: 12.9 lbs.
8x12: 6.1lbs.
(Total 31.1 lbs.)
I don't have any comparative information, but I agree that Inde drums are crazy light. Very thin shells with super light hardware on those shells. I can't imagine you could find any lighter pro level drums from any manufacturer.

andlours

Reaction score
I have an INDe bop kit and had a dw collectors bop kit. The INDe drums are significantly lighter. With Josh's design philosophy, I dont know that you're going to find something any lighter than an INDe bop kit.

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a gear lugging drummer for over 40 years, I found the Yamaha Stage Custom (bop sizes) to be the lightest I've used. The TAMA Silverstar bop kit by comparison was way heavier.

That's my logical non-scientific explanation.

YMMV

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had an INDe in 12x8 / 15x13 / 20x12 center-lug config and was amazed by how light the drums were. Sold it to get a similar INDe build/sizes with Jenkins-Martin shells, but the J-M shells are noticeably heavier due to their density. INDe shells are fairly thin (5-ply?) maple.

Josh (INDe) has done his homework on weight reduction - probably mostly driven by the pursuit of better sonic performance. However, the fringe benefit of his drums being easier to haul around is also nice.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
A secondhand set of Yamaha Absolute Nouveau in those sizes would be relatively light. Shells are thin, no wrap and the single point lugs / alum hoops shave a few pounds.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
70s set of international sized Premier mahogany with rings but would cost and fortune and not find one anyway...70s Premier mahog slender dc's, weighed next to very little.
there's
a 20/12/16 202 outfit on reverb more common; otherwise you're stuck with new.

Last edited:

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
I have a Stage Custom bop kit I can try to weigh later this weekend.

FWIW, most of the weight for any kit will be in the hardware. The easiest way to lighten the load on a given kit is to swap out the rims on toms for 1.6mm hoops (they are about 2/3 the weight of a 2.3mm hoop). For example, swapping the rims on a 16" tom will save about 250g per hoop, or about 500g total (roughly a pound for a 16" floor tom).

The next biggest culprit are the lugs, mounting brackets and kick spurs. You can try to retrofit different lugs etc with lower weight options. You may have to experiment. But for instance, the difference between Ludwig Elite Spurs and classic gull wing spurs is about 700g per set, or about 1.5 pounds. The bass drum claws can also be a big factor. Modern Ludwig claws are really heavy versus vintage ones, or even compared to modern economy options. You save about 1.75 pounds swapping out the modern cast Ludwig claws for vintage/economy options (based upon 20 claws). So, if you just swap out claws and spurs, you can cut down about 3 pounds, which doesn't seem like a lot, but it is SUPER noticeable.

The shells really don't add a ton of weight to the kit (within reason). I've had modern Ludwig Legacy and Classic Maple kits and for the most part, the drums weighed the same. If you swapped out the hardware for vintage equivalents, they weighed about the same as a vintage Ludwig 3 ply. For example, a modern Classic Maple or Legacy 16" floor tom weighs about 15 pounds without the legs. A vintage 3 ply 16" floor tom weighs about 10-11 pounds. The difference is almost all in the leg brackets, the rims and the lugs. The shells are almost identical in weight, surprisingly. That being said, there are a ton of vintage Ludwig Classic Lugs, and some styles are super beefy and heavy. YMMV. The late 70s Ludwig 6-ply shells are noticeably heavier than the 3ply stuff.

Josh at INDE has done some great work and his kits are amazing. I'd start there if I was looking for the lightest option in a modern offering. I'd swap out the INDE brackets for Ludwig classic brackets, just to save a BIT more weight. But, the INDE brackets are certainly a worthwhile tradeoff between mass and function. Vintage bop kits are always going to be a ton of money, but I'm partial to Ludwigs since I've studied their weights moreso than anything else.

Best of luck to you!

Jazzhead

Reaction score
70s set of international sized Premier mahogany with rings but would cost and fortune and not find one anyway...70s Premier mahog slender dc's, weighed next to very little.
there's
a 20/12/16 202 outfit on reverb more common; otherwise you're stuck with new.
Love that set, if I had space I would get it, it’s been on Reverb forever. My vintage Premier 22/16/13 international sized kit is so light but the sizes are big for my needs.

Reactions: JDA

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Are these weights considered light? I don’t have a comparable set to compare. These drums have all the hardware on them when weighed.

18x14 - 17 lbf
14x14 - 15 lbf
12x8 - 10 lbf
10 x7 - 8 lbf

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
Are these weights considered light? I don’t have a comparable set to compare. These drums have all the hardware on them when weighed.

18x14 - 17 lbf
14x14 - 15 lbf
12x8 - 10 lbf
10 x7 - 8 lbf
These are the only examples I currently have that are at least relevant.

8x12 Vintage Ludwig Standard - 5.5 pounds
9x13 Ludwig Standard - 7 pounds
9x13 Classic Maple - 8.5 pounds (no bracket)
9x13 Ludwig Legacy - 8.5 pounds (no bracket)
14x14 Pork Pie Hip Pig floor tom - 11.5 pounds
16x18 Vintage Ludwig 3 ply floor tom - 13.2 pounds (Would probably be about the same as a kick with gull wing spurs and hoops)
12x18 Inde kick drum - 11.5 pounds

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had an INDe in 12x8 / 15x13 / 20x12 center-lug config and was amazed by how light the drums were. Sold it to get a similar INDe build/sizes with Jenkins-Martin shells, but the J-M shells are noticeably heavier due to their density. INDe shells are fairly thin (5-ply?) maple.

Josh (INDe) has done his homework on weight reduction - probably mostly driven by the pursuit of better sonic performance. However, the fringe benefit of his drums being easier to haul around is also nice.
I actually own this kit still and can attest to it's extremely light weight! I can lift it all together in cases at 54 yrs old w back issues... Don't try this at home... I was just curious one day. Lol.