Lightest set of 18/14/12 out there?

Jazzhead

Reaction score
I recently sold an older Catalina Bop kit made in Taiwan and it was very light. I replaced it with a much heaver bop kit (duh), but was really chiming in to cast yet another vote for INDe. While my INDe kit is NOT in the bop sizes, the drums really are very light. Based on my 14X22", I can only imagine what an 18" would be!
I had a Catalina club bop kit in natural satin around 2013, I remember it was pretty light. Never knew they were once made in Taiwan, I thought they were all chinese. My 22x14 vintage Premier is super light for its size.

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
As a gear lugging drummer for over 40 years, I found the Yamaha Stage Custom (bop sizes) to be the lightest I've used. The TAMA Silverstar bop kit by comparison was way heavier.

That's my logical non-scientific explanation.

YMMV
I owned one too and agree they were light and compact. Plus, they sound really great too.

Griener

Reaction score
Sweet rig! Those are super shallow.
What are the pies?
Mostly Cymbal & Gong, a small company from Portland. Great cymbals, very affordable. Cymbals are being made in Istanbul, according to their specs and get a special treatment in Portland.
I got them through Todd Bishop's website: http://www.cymbalistic.com
They just made me a copy of Dizzy Gillespie's famous Swish cymbal, which sounds amazing!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a Catalina club bop kit in natural satin around 2013, I remember it was pretty light. Never knew they were once made in Taiwan, I thought they were all chinese. My 22x14 vintage Premier is super light for its size.
They were Taiwanese made up until 2010 or '11 but I'm still not 100% sure on the year they moved production to China. I only qualified thier country of orgion because the newer generation may be heaver or lighter, I just dont know. I have never played a bop kit from the China era, I just knew that the older versions were very light. Lauan is not a dense heavy wood.

Griener

Reaction score
Wow super shallow toms, I wonder how your drums sound? Do you have a video clip? My 4piece custom kit 18x14,12x8,14x14 and 14x6.5 snare weigh 39 lbf collectively, I guess it is pretty light considering standard depths.
Here you can hear the acoustic sound of the band, recorded only with a Zoom H2 on stage (you can actually see it in the video on the floor of the stage)

And here is a live recording with some overhead microphones on the drums:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows a standard bop kit out there (18/14/12 modern or vintage and any brand) that is noticeably lighter compared to other kits. There are of course several factors that go into this such as rims used on the drums, hardware, thickness of the shells, thickness of the plies (don’t think this is standard), etc.
I want to know what would be the lightest bop kit that can be carried around easier. My 18x14 6ply maple bass drum feels heavier than my 22x14 3ply Mahogany.
please consider any brand out there new or used and any type of drums. Thanks!
Pearl 4 ply / 5 mm reinforced shell.
I remember back in the 90's, I ran into a friend who had just bought an MMX kit and I asked him if the shells were light.
He tossed his brand new 20x16 bass drum off the truck and said, Here, see for yourself…...luckily I caught it ( :eek: ).
It was like catching a heavy beach ball.
I couldn't believe how light it was.
We actually stood there and played catch with it for a minute.
They made a Birch, a Maple and a (real) Mahogany version of that shell.
The Maple version is available again as the Masters Maple Reserve.
The Masterworks series allows you to get the Birch and Mahogany versions, if you prefer those woods instead.
Extremely lightweight shell with a great sound.

Elvis

Last edited:

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m always surprised at how much heavier a Gretsch round badge 18” bass drum is than my Slingerland 3-ply. Sonor phonic/champion are even heavier b

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks, example of a light Inde kit you own or encountered?
Actually Josh sent me those weights but I ended up ordering something a bit different. But I can tell you the ones I received that are on this list are correct. Since I already had two bop kits I opted for a 20” kick and an extra floor tom.

Attachments

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here you can hear the acoustic sound of the band, recorded only with a Zoom H2 on stage (you can actually see it in the video on the floor of the stage)

An Arthur Blythe Tribute band?! That is so cool. Sounds great!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not that it would be easy to find or affordable, but a mahogany interior ('63 or earlier) Slingerland set with an 18" or 12x20" bass would be really lightweight.

Jazzhead

Reaction score

Wow those drums sound big, If I closed my eyes I wouldn’t imagine those are short stack drums. Nice playing as well, my friend. Cheers!

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama Superstar Classic are the lightest drums I have come across so far. Maple shells, very lightweight. I had a pretty large kit with a 22x18" bass drum and even that drum was light. Way lighter than Stage Customs. Plus, they don´t break the bank and sound really good.

f5bpttjphav1qgngpyiy.jpg

msum

Reaction score
How about the Oriollo aluminium shells? Have recently become available in 18”.

Vukan would need to give you the actual weights, but I imagine they’d be quite light.

Latest posts