Lightest set of 18/14/12 out there?

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was reading that Treehouse has compact 18/14/11 nesting kits around 30lbs. Their site lists weights for each configuration.

f.stahlenius

Reaction score
I have owned several Sakae Trilogy kits and they are definitely on the lighter side. Heard the same about INDE.

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How about the Oriollo aluminium shells? Have recently become available in 18”.

Vukan would need to give you the actual weights, but I imagine they’d be quite light.
Oriollo aluminum drums are crazy light, another good option if they have the sound you're seeking.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My SonorLite bop is certainly lighter then my Phonic inside out rosewood bop, but the hardwear still makes her a bit hefty.

Polar opposite, I had another rosewood inside out bop with the internal verticle double muffler system that was heavier then most 22s.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
My Tempus carbon fiber 12,14,20 are pretty light, and I would like to replace all the mounting hardware with Inde stuff to make them even lighter. Hard to imagine anything lighter.
Light to carry, heavy sound . Match those up with the new Yamaha aluminum stands and they're effortless to hump around . Monolith Fiber Drums ( Gerry Mercer) out of Toronto are even lighter .

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
another vote for INDe. My 24“ INDe kick drum is lighter than all of my 20” kicks.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll throw another vote in the ring for INDe. I have a 20/10/15 kit that weighs so little, it's very shocking. I have Josh building me a 18/12/15 kit as we speak for gigging which I'm sure will be a bit lighter still.

Griener

Reaction score
I'll throw another vote in the ring for INDe. I have a 20/10/15 kit that weighs so little, it's very shocking. I have Josh building me a 18/12/15 kit as we speak for gigging which I'm sure will be a bit lighter still.
Will that 18/12/15 be a nesting kit? perfect sizes for that.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows a standard bop kit out there (18/14/12 modern or vintage and any brand) that is noticeably lighter compared to other kits. There are of course several factors that go into this such as rims used on the drums, hardware, thickness of the shells, thickness of the plies (don’t think this is standard), etc.
I want to know what would be the lightest bop kit that can be carried around easier. My 18x14 6ply maple bass drum feels heavier than my 22x14 3ply Mahogany.
please consider any brand out there new or used and any type of drums. Thanks!
I have a great kit and very light. From around 2009, a Ludwig Epic Jazzette in Attic White lacquer. Included a 5x13 snare also. Used as practice kit and then became main gig kit due to portability. I even added ludwig diamond bass drum mounting bracket with single tom holder and a Gibraltar shell mount cymbal holder. If you can find one, I recommend it.

ericmacknight

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows a standard bop kit out there (18/14/12 modern or vintage and any brand) that is noticeably lighter compared to other kits. There are of course several factors that go into this such as rims used on the drums, hardware, thickness of the shells, thickness of the plies (don’t think this is standard), etc.
I want to know what would be the lightest bop kit that can be carried around easier. My 18x14 6ply maple bass drum feels heavier than my 22x14 3ply Mahogany.
Most of the weight is in the metal. Whitney drums have no lugs. 100% birch. I own a kit. Awesome drums. http://www.whitneydrums.com

Marty Black

Reaction score
I don't have any weights to quote you, since my lightweight kit is in my band's practice room (in the next town), but a Gretsch Catalina Club kit is extremely light. Made in Taiwan and inexpensive. A few years ago, they were being advertised as being made of mahogany, but that can't be. The wood is very light colored and the drums are a pleasure (for old backs) to carry around. I replaced the original heads and the kit sounds great! If there is a Guitar Center or drum store near you, lift up one of those Catalina Club kits and let your back decide! Good luck! MB

boomalleydrums

Reaction score
Hi- Check our Boom Alley Drums on Facebook. I can build you drums with aluminum CHs, Boom Alley high-strength composite lugs, Boom Alley EZ Nubs fixed to the BD CH’s. I can also integrate truly suspended toms and the bass drum. And if you pick toms 3 inches apart in diameter I can build a nestable kit. One bag! Contact me at dave@boomalleydrums.com.

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Air drums are pretty light..or those air stick things that make a drum sound when waved around...
bt
Yea they are pretty light to lift, I agree but after some time playing your hands start hurting instead of your back from lifting it.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Jazzhead,

Have you come to any conclusions yet?
If not, are you at least "zeroing" in on anything(s) in particular?

Elvis

Jazzhead

Reaction score
Jazzhead,

Have you come to any conclusions yet?
If not, are you at least "zeroing" in on anything(s) in particular?

Elvis
I just wanted to know if the drums I have are considered light and how heavy/light other brand/models are. I wasn’t going to get a new kit now. However, it is good to know for future reference.