Lightest set of 18/14/12 out there?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
What do you have jazzhead?
All you mentioned in your opening post is that your Maple bass drum is 6 ply and your 22 is 3 ply Mahogany.
Are they Ludwig's?

Jazzhead

Reaction score
What do you have jazzhead?
All you mentioned in your opening post is that your Maple bass drum is 6 ply and your 22 is 3 ply Mahogany.
Are they Ludwig's?
My bop kit is a custom maple kit. The 22/16/13 is a Vintage Premier Mahogany shells but I wanted to know about how much standard bop kits weigh in general.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
That's interesting that the big Premier bass is lighter than the little custom Maple kit.
Could be that Mahogany is actually less dense than either Maple and Birch.
According to The Wood Database, African Mahogany has an average dried weight of 40 lbs./cu.foot.
That's actually a little on the heavy side, as the Cuban and Honduran varieties (more commonly used in the "Mahogany era", before harvesting laws were enacted) are around 37 lbs./cu.ft.
It could be that your Premier is made from these lighter Cuban or Honduran varieties.
Hard Maple is a little heavier at 44 lbs./cu.ft..
Sweet Birch is actually the heaviest at 46 lbs./cu.ft.
The Janka hardness of these woods also reflect their relative weights, as Maple and Birch both run in the upper 1400 range, while African Mahogany actually eclipses 1000 while the classic Mahogany's come in around the lower/mid 900 range.
I have noticed generic kits are usually fairly light weight. Again, speaking to the makeup of the shell, which is usually some form of Lauan, which runs around 30 lbs./cu.ft.

Elvis

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I owned an INDe 18/12/14 and it was the second lightest kit I have owned . My former Whitney Nesting apenguin kit with wood hoops was lighter but not by much .

Never should have sold the INDe kit . I may look into getting another down the road .

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
INDe doesn't make a nesting kit (at least I didn't ask) so no it won't be. But those would be great sizes for that I agree.
For what it's worth, I nest one of my INDe kits; I cut out most of the reso heads, just leaving enough to hold on the bottom rim, and I use foam dividers to protect the shell insides in transit. I don't think this approach would work as well with many other brands, but the INDes have enough rich tone that the missing bottom heads don't make me miss much, and the combined weight of four drums nested together (!) is totally manageable.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I nest one of my INDe kits; I cut out most of the reso heads, just leaving enough to hold on the bottom rim, and I use foam dividers to protect the shell insides in transit. I don't think this approach would work as well with many other brands, but the INDes have enough rich tone that the missing bottom heads don't make me miss much, and the combined weight of four drums nested together (!) is totally manageable.
You could get Fred Beato to make you some Combo bags for your kit . I had him do it for a couple of my kits and you would be surprised how much easier it makes loading in and out .

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You could get Fred Beato to make you some Combo bags for your kit . I had him do it for a couple of my kits and you would be surprised how much easier it makes loading in and out .
I've considered that. I like being able to save space in transit, though, as sometimes I need to also haul band members and their gear, so nesting gives me quite a bit more space for that. Maybe I'll kick the bums out and just enjoy some Beato quality!