header.nohb.html

Lightweight but stable hardware.

GMFrancis

Reaction score
Here’s a question I’ve wanted to ask for awhile. I gig and rehearse a couple of times a week and I always use my own kit. I’m also in my mid 60’s now and humping one large hardware case around is out of the question. So I use 3 hardware cases , 2 of which have wheels . Great in a car park or a hallway, not so much going up a fire escape….
I started off with DW 9000 series but got rid of it all because of the weight involved. I then got the 6000 series because they were lighter and I liked the vintage look. However I found them hard to place when setting up the kit especially with mic stands around the kit. I bought a DW 6000UL set and they were a disaster as I use big cymbals and have a some very heavy brass snares. So they went the journey and I’ve now got DW7000 series which I feel are sturdy but still a bit heavy with 2 snare stands and 4 cymbal stands etc in the mix.
Ive looked at the Yamaha Crosstown stuff and while it’s light and well made, I just don’t like the look.
I interested in what hardware other older guys use. I don’t think I’m in a minority wanting lighter weight , sturdy stands ? I’m positive if a company came up with the right stuff it would sell. Or maybe there is a company out there doing it?

"poppies"

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's unfortunately just basic physics; lightweight stuff is by definition not going to be as "sturdy" as heavier stuff. I've found the Tama Classic stands are the best middle ground for me, they're light enough to not be exhausting to lug around, but sturdy enough for me to moderately bash somewhat big/heavy instruments.

Tubwompus

Reaction score
Nose around on the ‘Verb and the ‘Bay and see if there’s any of the old Tama Mercury stuff. I wouldn’t mount both a tom AND a cymbal simultaneously on one, but big, heavy cymbals? No sweat whatever. I like the Mercury hihat and snare stands quite a bit, as well. The stuff’s kinda like a modernized version of the old-school Ludwig Atlas stuff. The old Atlas stuff’s vintage now so prices are climbing.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tama Stage Master single braced stands are the way to go. They are well built, very study, and weigh about the same as the regular DW 6000 stands. Plus they are very affordable.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the new Ludwig Classic stuff. It’s not as light as the lightest stuff out there, but it’s very sturdy. It’s flat based, but there’s a bit of angle adjustment in the tripods that allows for overlapping, plus the two-position feet for even more clearance.

GretschMan61

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have three lightweight hardware packs .My favourite being the Tama Vlassics series . The bag that comes with it is nice and has room for extra stands ( like the Tama Classic tom stand and another classic cymbal stand).

My second favourite is the Yamaha Crosstown hardware pack . I use this for outdoor gigs as the tripods are sturdier in the wind .

I have a DW Ultralite pack but it doesn’t get a lot of use . I find it a bit flimsy compared to the Tama and Yamaha lightweight offerings .

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a link for the spreadsheet or list of cymbal stands and their weights? We collectively put one together years ago. I'd love to see that again and expanded upon. For example, beyond just weight it would be nice to see consolidated information on how wide the foot print of each stand is. If I was a high end drum shop that carried all this hardware I'd put it together and make it available on my website (hint hint). It sure would inspire me to buy something - that's what I call good service.

Jhouse86

Reaction score
I have the ludwig flat based hardware. It's all wonderful stuff. Minimal footprint, and sturdy. Cymbal stands, hi hat stand and snare stand all perform very well. I believe the newer snare stand comes with a much more adjustable basket than its predecessor. The smallest cymbal I have is a 17, most are 18-22 crashes and some 24 rides. These stands have 0 issues with bigger brass.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a link for the spreadsheet or list of cymbal stands and their weights? We collectively put one together years ago. I'd love to see that again and expanded upon. For example, beyond just weight it would be nice to see consolidated information on how wide the foot print of each stand is. If I was a high end drum shop that carried all this hardware I'd put it together and make it available on my website (hint hint). It sure would inspire me to buy something - that's what I call good service.
I did this recently, comparing the new Ludwig Classic w/ DW Ultralight and a mix of Yamaha 700/900

Gunnellett

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found that thread to be very useful. I also thought it was a "sticky" at one time. If it wasn't a sticky, it should be.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
All Yamaha Crosstown for me. Some of the best drum $ I’ve ever spent. No concerns over the appearance of it.

Here it is in action yesterday.

Attachments

• 3B2EFBD0-7B27-4DCC-AD76-72C77CC74035.jpeg
    3B2EFBD0-7B27-4DCC-AD76-72C77CC74035.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 89

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I missed that thread somehow the first time around. Amazing that even the light weight ludwig stands are still 2x the dw ultralight.

I did this recently, comparing the new Ludwig Classic w/ DW Ultralight and a mix of Yamaha 700/900

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to add my own 2 cents, I've used Canopus for years, love the hi hat and snare stands, but the straight cymbal stands have almost all given out in the welding between the sections. The tilters are also pretty terrible. I'll be replacing these soon, just haven't motivated yet.

My most recent find in the quest to lighten up the hardware bag is this new Gibraltar throne:

Jess had one at his shop in NYC (the old Maxwell's) and I was amazed how comfortable it was. The base is not that light weight, but at least its single braced. After lugging around a sound seat retro to every 90 minute rehearsal I'm attracted to the idea of a throne top that is small and low profile. I ordered one from Jess, it should be here next week.

Rick Jones1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's unfortunately just basic physics; lightweight stuff is by definition not going to be as "sturdy" as heavier stuff. I've found the Tama Classic stands are the best middle ground for me, they're light enough to not be exhausting to lug around, but sturdy enough for me to moderately bash somewhat big/heavy instruments.
I also use the Tama Classic stands. It also comes with a hardware bag if you order the 4-piece set. I put my throne strand and legs to my floor tom in the bag.

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to add my own 2 cents, I've used Canopus for years, love the hi hat and snare stands, but the straight cymbal stands have almost all given out in the welding between the sections. The tilters are also pretty terrible. I'll be replacing these soon, just haven't motivated yet.

My most recent find in the quest to lighten up the hardware bag is this new Gibraltar throne:

Jess had one at his shop in NYC (the old Maxwell's) and I was amazed how comfortable it was. The base is not that light weight, but at least its single braced. After lugging around a sound seat retro to every 90 minute rehearsal I'm attracted to the idea of a throne top that is small and low profile. I ordered one from Jess, it should be here next week.
I’ve got two of these. Really nice. The Rogers swan leg throne is a bit lighter, but not as comfortable IMO. The Yamaha 750 is lighter still, but not a threaded spindle - it’s a straight tube w/ memory lock setup.

Did some measurements before adding the two Gibraltars. Will need to update this list:

David Hunter

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's the hardware weights spreadsheet thread created by @hefty: