header.nohb.html

Lightweight but stable hardware.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I am sold on Tama Classic series. I now own three sets of them. In the past I used DW flush base and Gibraltar flat base ... and even Chromacast flat. Nothing - for me - comes close to the Tama flat base stands. Be aware that I play minimal kits and am a light player, so your mileage may vary. More about my gear here (which will give you an idea about why I like the Tama Classic stuff.)

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know you don't like the Crosstown. No problem. Here's the answer: Yamaha CS650A: https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...ght-weight-single-braced-straight-cymbal-6186

Light Weight Single Braced Straight Cymbal Stand​

yamaha-drums-and-percussion-parts-and-accessories-stands-yamaha-cs650a-light-weight-single-braced-straight-cymbal-stand-cs650a-17213816307847_2000x.jpg

Steech

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you said you don’t like the DW6000 because of mic stand placement, maybe buy some clips for the mics and your problem is solved. I bought the Sure set with the 3,57s and the beta. All have clips for the drums and my 6000 stands can easily fit around the kit. I gig a lot and am 62 so I don’t like carrying lots of stuff. I play larger cymbals as well
20E2B9E8-2DAD-4BCF-8E74-875E8F820B85.jpeg

GMFrancis

Reaction score
All Yamaha Crosstown for me. Some of the best drum $ I’ve ever spent. No concerns over the appearance of it.

Here it is in action yesterday.
I think that looks well on your kit. It still didn’t look right to me on my Gretsch kit, I need a boom cymbal too

GMFrancis

Reaction score
I’m a big fan of the new Ludwig Classic stuff. It’s not as light as the lightest stuff out there, but it’s very sturdy. It’s flat based, but there’s a bit of angle adjustment in the tripods that allows for overlapping, plus the two-position feet for even more clearance.
Funnily enough that’s a set I borrowed, I’ll dig out a photo of it. It was great product but for me almost the same weight as the 7000 series and setting up 3 cymbal stands on my right 24” 20” 22” plus 2 mic stands was a problem.

GMFrancis

Reaction score
I have three lightweight hardware packs .My favourite being the Tama Vlassics series . The bag that comes with it is nice and has room for extra stands ( like the Tama Classic tom stand and another classic cymbal stand).

My second favourite is the Yamaha Crosstown hardware pack . I use this for outdoor gigs as the tripods are sturdier in the wind .

I have a DW Ultralite pack but it doesn’t get a lot of use . I find it a bit flimsy compared to the Tama and Yamaha lightweight offerings .
The DW 6000 UL set I bought was a waste of money for me. The guy I sold it too already had a couple of sets and he loved it.

GMFrancis

Reaction score
I
Just to add my own 2 cents, I've used Canopus for years, love the hi hat and snare stands, but the straight cymbal stands have almost all given out in the welding between the sections. The tilters are also pretty terrible. I'll be replacing these soon, just haven't motivated yet.

My most recent find in the quest to lighten up the hardware bag is this new Gibraltar throne:

Jess had one at his shop in NYC (the old Maxwell's) and I was amazed how comfortable it was. The base is not that light weight, but at least its single braced. After lugging around a sound seat retro to every 90 minute rehearsal I'm attracted to the idea of a throne top that is small and low profile. I ordered one from Jess, it should be here next week.
Id like to hear how that works out for you. I have a Roc n Soc with a back rest and it’s the one piece of kit I really don’t mind lugging about. Lower back issues are something to be avoided at all cost.

GMFrancis

Reaction score
I know you said you don’t like the DW6000 because of mic stand placement, maybe buy some clips for the mics and your problem is solved. I bought the Sure set with the 3,57s and the beta. All have clips for the drums and my 6000 stands can easily fit around the kit. I gig a lot and am 62 so I don’t like carrying lots of stuff. I play larger cymbals as well View attachment 585683
It’s definitely an age thing being concerned about weight. 40 years ago our bass player had an Acoustic set up with a 4x15 cab, seriously! He’s playing guitar now and has a Quilter amp which sounds great and you can carry it under your arm

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike, any idea if the Tama flat based stands can accommodate smaller hole vintage cymbals? That's been the main reason I've kept my old Canopus stands around. But these Tama's look great from a weight perspective and the finer geared tilter.

Thanks!

- Edit - I think I may have answered my own question. Tama website says rod is 9 mm. Canopus website says theirs is 6 mm, 8 mm with the nylon. I play old trans stamps alot, gotta take a look and see how many have smaller bell holes still.

I am sold on Tama Classic series. I now own three sets of them. In the past I used DW flush base and Gibraltar flat base ... and even Chromacast flat. Nothing - for me - comes close to the Tama flat base stands. Be aware that I play minimal kits and am a light player, so your mileage may vary. More about my gear here (which will give you an idea about why I like the Tama Classic stuff.)

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This sounds like the same quandary I’ve been in. I use four cymbal stands and two snare stands. No boom stands.

Initially I was using all vintage flat base cymbal stands (Ludwig and Walberg & Auge) and accumulated 8-10 good clean stands. I love the original Walberg & Auge Buck Rogers snare stand so I use two in my set up, and a vintage Gretsch Monster Hi Hat stand. I’ve accumulated a lot of snare and hi hat stands too. :)

A few years ago I wanted to cut down on weight so I got some DW 6000 hardware and realized it’s not much lighter than my vintage hardware. Then I went for the DW Ultralight and it’s about the same weight as my vintage hardware, and had problems with the snare stands, so I went back to using my vintage hardware. It looks better with my vintage kits. I put the upper sections of the DW Ultralight cymbal stands in my vintage cymbals stands and it’s the best of both worlds.

I know people rave about the Crosstown hardware but I don’t like the look of it. It doesn’t work with my vintage kits.

The Tama Classic is a possibility and next time I visit Shane at DCP I’m going to check them out. I remember when Peter Erskine was helping design them and he based it on the original Ludwig flat base stand. That’s all I need.

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hey Mike, any idea if the Tama flat based stands can accommodate smaller hole vintage cymbals? That's been the main reason I've kept my old Canopus stands around. But these Tama's look great from a weight perspective and the finer geared tilter.

Thanks!

- Edit - I think I may have answered my own question. Tama website says rod is 9 mm. Canopus website says theirs is 6 mm, 8 mm with the nylon. I play old trans stamps alot, gotta take a look and see how many have smaller bell holes still.
Yes. I tested them with some of my trans stamp rides. Interestingly, the heavy-duty DW bass drum mounted cymbal arms will also accommodate them!

Reactions: owr

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I use the Ludwig Classic hardware but do not mount toms on any, haven't tried. I use a heavy 22" ride sometimes and works fine. Normally I don't use the boom arm though. Best thing I did was buy two smaller hardware bags and split the weight between the two, carrying one in each arm or two different trips makes much more manageable. There's still times though I catch myself carrying both bags in one hand :) Also I've always just assumed drumming had the requirement of "must be able to lift 50 pounds" Loading in is my warm up, somehow the stuff weighs a ton at the end of the night though :)

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yamaha Crosstown is the way to go for stability. I've no problem with their looks
This is the complete setup, plus a Bodhran case = 1 trip load-in.
Cheers
Mick

Attachments

• Noonan1.jpg
    Noonan1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Noonan2.jpg
    Noonan2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 49

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone has a favorite and I do as well, though surprised that I did not see it listed here yet (if it was I missed it), the Gibraltar 8700 series hardware. I found for, me it is the sweet spot between stability, strength and vintage appearance. I run 20" crashes and 22" rides with never a second thought of a problem!

1664801123801.png

20211119_175057 copy.jpg

I also like the single braced Tama Road pro for my intermediate weight hardware as it has that elegant Rogers swan leg leg (of which Tama copied back when) with a good weight saving.

20211030_164130 copy.jpg

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Either Crosstown or the Yamaha 600 series.

The 700 is already in 800 and 900 teritories in terms of weight (especially when having more than one).

Never lighten up the throne. The only heavy item I don’t mind to take along.

DrumTransit

Reaction score
As others have said on here, new Rogers stands are solid/sturdy (tripod legs), relatively affordable and lightweight. I like the swivel function on the high hat. For the cymbal stands, I attached a Gibraltar arm off the Rogers post and hung a heavy 90’s era crash, and the stand held well.