header.nohb.html

Lightweight but stable hardware.

whazaz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The C 150 s stands by pearl might be worth a look. After the usual way too much "research" or more accurately OCDing out online I got these, which my kid uses these for his bigger kit. They are pretty light, very sturdy, and have some interesting options for setting the legs and tilters, if I remember. For his micro gigging kit he uses the crosstowns, which as you know, are amazingly light and still quite sturdy. Those legs don't quit, lol . . . But yeah I get it about the look.

I’ve got two of these. Really nice. The Rogers swan leg throne is a bit lighter, but not as comfortable IMO. The Yamaha 750 is lighter still, but not a threaded spindle - it’s a straight tube w/ memory lock setup.

Did some measurements before adding the two Gibraltars. Will need to update this list:

Here’s a question I’ve wanted to ask for awhile. I gig and rehearse a couple of times a week and I always use my own kit. I’m also in my mid 60’s now and humping one large hardware case around is out of the question. So I use 3 hardware cases , 2 of which have wheels . Great in a car park or a hallway, not so much going up a fire escape….
I started off with DW 9000 series but got rid of it all because of the weight involved. I then got the 6000 series because they were lighter and I liked the vintage look. However I found them hard to place when setting up the kit especially with mic stands around the kit. I bought a DW 6000UL set and they were a disaster as I use big cymbals and have a some very heavy brass snares. So they went the journey and I’ve now got DW7000 series which I feel are sturdy but still a bit heavy with 2 snare stands and 4 cymbal stands etc in the mix.
Ive looked at the Yamaha Crosstown stuff and while it’s light and well made, I just don’t like the look.
I interested in what hardware other older guys use. I don’t think I’m in a minority wanting lighter weight , sturdy stands ? I’m positive if a company came up with the right stuff it would sell. Or maybe there is a company out there doing it?

Here’s a question I’ve wanted to ask for awhile. I gig and rehearse a couple of times a week and I always use my own kit. I’m also in my mid 60’s now and humping one large hardware case around is out of the question. So I use 3 hardware cases , 2 of which have wheels . Great in a car park or a hallway, not so much going up a fire escape….
I started off with DW 9000 series but got rid of it all because of the weight involved. I then got the 6000 series because they were lighter and I liked the vintage look. However I found them hard to place when setting up the kit especially with mic stands around the kit. I bought a DW 6000UL set and they were a disaster as I use big cymbals and have a some very heavy brass snares. So they went the journey and I’ve now got DW7000 series which I feel are sturdy but still a bit heavy with 2 snare stands and 4 cymbal stands etc in the mix.
Ive looked at the Yamaha Crosstown stuff and while it’s light and well made, I just don’t like the look.
I interested in what hardware other older guys use. I don’t think I’m in a minority wanting lighter weight , sturdy stands ? I’m positive if a company came up with the right stuff it would sell. Or maybe there is a company out there doing it?

groovemastergreg

Reaction score
I will add that since getting a hydrolic roc n soc with back rest some 20+ years ago, that’s one heavy item I don’t mind carrying. It doesn’t really break down in that seat does not remove, so it’s a bear to store in the ride. But we’ll worth it.

groovemastergreg

Reaction score
When I was gigging multiple times per week/month, I used a rock and roller cart, 4 pc kit, and a plastic rollable case made for mic and drum stands so I didn’t have to do anything to stands but collapse the legs and hh pedal. One trip in. One trip out. Of course, fire escapes render this useless. I’d split stands into multiple bags and add some trips up and down stairs.

Azoth

Reaction score
I’m 51 and still on the 9000 series. I’ve just accepted I’ll have a bad back when all’s said and done, but I don’t want my cymbal stands budging. I suffer for my art. : )

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I find the Yamaha crosstown stuff very sturdy. I even used the bottom section of a snare stand with the upper section of a cymbal stand for my ride cymbal one night. No issues at all playing 80’s rock
07D785A3-9B59-40E9-9130-F2C3245E18E1.jpeg

GMFrancis

Reaction score
I find the Yamaha crosstown stuff very sturdy. I even used the bottom section of a snare stand with the upper section of a cymbal stand for my ride cymbal one night. No issues at all playing 80’s rock View attachment 585880
I love that finish, I’ve seen it a lot of times. What is it called?

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yamaha Crosstown is the way to go for stability. I've no problem with their looks
This is the complete setup, plus a Bodhran case = 1 trip load-in.
Cheers
Mick
Is that rack tom on a Crosstown snare stand? Hard to see in the pic.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can see the aluminum look turns some people off, but the Crosstown hardware might indeed be the solution.
I got a set of Tama Classics, very neat, comes with a small bag, but I still like standard single-braced hardware for bigger cymbals (and a few double-braced ones for mounting toms ;)). I have some late 80s Pearl cymbal stands with only one extension, that cuts down weight as well.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had great results with Tama's lightweight hardware package, although I replaced the high hat stand with a 7 series Yamaha, mainly because the high hat kept sliding away - and yes, I use a carpet and the spurs were out. It also occurred to me that Tama's lightweight snare stand is not the one to bring if I use a cast bronze snare drum that night.

But if the purpose of lightweight hardware is to reduce the weight we carry, then it makes sense to use lighter drums too. So if I'm using a heavy snare, I bring the right snare stand.

Last edited: