header.nohb.html

Lightweight but stable hardware.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t always play the same kit or configuration for gigs but if I play a one up/one down setup my hardware bag contains:

3 straight cymbal stands
Snare stand
HH stand
DW 5000 pedal with no bottom plate
Floor tom legs
Tom mount post
Gibraltar throne base and seat

The entire bag weighs 34 lbs and can be carried with one hand. It’s Crosstown stuff and I’d bet no one even notices what it looks like.

drumnhands

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here’s a question I’ve wanted to ask for awhile. I gig and rehearse a couple of times a week and I always use my own kit. I’m also in my mid 60’s now and humping one large hardware case around is out of the question. So I use 3 hardware cases , 2 of which have wheels . Great in a car park or a hallway, not so much going up a fire escape….
I started off with DW 9000 series but got rid of it all because of the weight involved. I then got the 6000 series because they were lighter and I liked the vintage look. However I found them hard to place when setting up the kit especially with mic stands around the kit. I bought a DW 6000UL set and they were a disaster as I use big cymbals and have a some very heavy brass snares. So they went the journey and I’ve now got DW7000 series which I feel are sturdy but still a bit heavy with 2 snare stands and 4 cymbal stands etc in the mix.
Ive looked at the Yamaha Crosstown stuff and while it’s light and well made, I just don’t like the look.
I interested in what hardware other older guys use. I don’t think I’m in a minority wanting lighter weight , sturdy stands ? I’m positive if a company came up with the right stuff it would sell. Or maybe there is a company out there doing it?
If you don't like the look of the Crosstown, try the Yamaha 600 series stuff. it's light, sturdy, and stable.

David M Scott

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here’s a question I’ve wanted to ask for awhile. I gig and rehearse a couple of times a week and I always use my own kit. I’m also in my mid 60’s now and humping one large hardware case around is out of the question. So I use 3 hardware cases , 2 of which have wheels . Great in a car park or a hallway, not so much going up a fire escape….
I started off with DW 9000 series but got rid of it all because of the weight involved. I then got the 6000 series because they were lighter and I liked the vintage look. However I found them hard to place when setting up the kit especially with mic stands around the kit. I bought a DW 6000UL set and they were a disaster as I use big cymbals and have a some very heavy brass snares. So they went the journey and I’ve now got DW7000 series which I feel are sturdy but still a bit heavy with 2 snare stands and 4 cymbal stands etc in the mix.
Ive looked at the Yamaha Crosstown stuff and while it’s light and well made, I just don’t like the look.
I interested in what hardware other older guys use. I don’t think I’m in a minority wanting lighter weight , sturdy stands ? I’m positive if a company came up with the right stuff it would sell. Or maybe there is a company out there doing it?
If your into looks then Crosstown is not for you. I'm 82 and two years ago opted for it and have never been sorry. it only weighs about 26lbs in it's bag but of course I always add extras to the bag bit rarely get to 35lbs all in. The hi hat and snare basket are awesome as those are always the killers when it comes to weight in regular chrome hardware. But unlike cymbal stands some of which you can leave at home, you have to have those two.

DrBoom

Reaction score
I have resisted trying the Yamaha Crosstown stands for two reasons: 1) the look and, more importantly, 2) to my mind they are light where they should be heavy (i.e., at the base). This thread is making me rethink that.
I have some of the Gibraltar flat based stand, which I think are great. I love the ultra just snare stand. Sound Percussion used to make a nice single braced stand with the same ultra adjust basket. No one has mentioned Sakae stands. I recently purchased three of these CS-20 stands, which I love.
Sakae SC-20.jpg

s1212z

Reaction score
Started using Canopus Hybrid hardware, Booms, Snare stand and throne
Sorry for the random question, do you happen to know an approximate diameter/dimension for the canopus throne seat? Been trying to find it online but nothing...I'm looking at buying new hardware bags, trying to see if it will possibly fit once close (most don't).

And if anyone has suggestions for lightweight but sturdy hardware bags, I'm all ears.

xopherhills

Reaction score
It's unfortunately just basic physics; lightweight stuff is by definition not going to be as "sturdy" as heavier stuff. I've found the Tama Classic stands are the best middle ground for me, they're light enough to not be exhausting to lug around, but sturdy enough for me to moderately bash somewhat big/heavy instruments.
Agreed. The Crosstown stuff is aluminum but does the job. It's amazing all the stands I need can be in a small and relatively light bag.