header.nohb.html

Lightweight, Small Kit Needed

XDrums

Reaction score
Buy a Ludwig breakbeats kit. Price has gone up recently but these are great kits.

covinasurf

Reaction score
Sonor Safari, the old ones not the AQ2. Can get them for 350 or so if you’re patient. I might be persuaded to part with mine.

JH

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
.... I have a Gretsch Catalina Club 18,12,14 kit I keep stored at a weekly steakhouse gig....

Do you like the Catalina enough to get another one?

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me or Wolfereeno
Still open to all possibilities. I’m not in a huge hurry. I’m just getting tired of leaving a concert band rehearsal, rushing 5 miles home, loading my drums into my car, driving five miles in a different direction, loading drums in, setting up, and being ready to play in 35-45 minutes. Once a week of this is enough. Gigs on top of this….

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try to find a used Ludwig gig-lite. High end kit in small sizes. Made in Monroe NC with birch shells.

JonnyFranchi$e

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really like my Tama club jam. LOVE my INDe maple wayfarer.

INDe kit is lighter for sure and sounds awesome. Sexy. USA builder. More expensive but extremely high quality. Some interesting hardware stuff too.

Either kit can handle any gig, but for smaller more intimate gigs without micing where the audience will hear your tone better, INDe will DESTROY the Club Jam.

Also, as you know, Gretsch Cat Maples are pretty darn nice drums. Mine are pretty light too.

You have lots of choices.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm getting really tired of loading in a full 22,13,16 kit to a weekly rehearsal and then loading it out again. Storing it there is impossible. I have a Gretsch Catalina Club 18,12,14 kit I keep stored at a weekly steakhouse gig. I'm looking for a small, lightweight, good quality, relatively inexpensive kit that sounds decent unmiked for rehearsals and can be loaded in/out easily. Suggestions/experiences much appreciated.
Don’t know what relatively inexpensive is for you, but, Oriollo makes seamless metal drum sets including aluminum drums that are very fairly priced, IMO!

tomo221

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love my Midtown kit. Those drums are punchy and full, easy to setup/break down, and comfortable to play. I’m sure the Inde is lighter, but the price difference is pretty serious.

My top 3 recommendations for light and easy load-ins would be Midtown, Safari, or Club Jam. (A Catalina jazz kit could also be a good option if you want something a little more “normal” sized. Good quality, good sound, reasonably lightweight for their size, though ultimately a bit more expensive than the aforementioned compact ones.)