Lightweight snare stands

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
I've never tried the Yamaha but I do use the Tama. I haven't found any negatives while using it.
The tilter doesn't slip and I like the fact that it has a memory lock for height and that you can tilt and lift your snare out of the basket without loosening the arms. I like to pack my cymbals and drums in their cases before I break down my stands and pack them away.
I know you didn't mention the DW lightweight stuff which I also own but I just want to say the Tama snare stand is FAAAAR superior to the DW.
I'm sure the Yamaha is a great stand since they make quality stuff.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I've been using the Yamaha for several months and I love it. Weighs next to nothing. The TAMA doesn't look as bulky though.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was using the Tama for a few months, and I liked everything about it—the light weight, clean look, stability. But the more I used it, the more the tripod clamp area got “sticky”, hard to fold and unfold into position. I think it’s an unavoidable side effect of clamping on such small thin tubing. I have switched to a Gibraltar lightweight that so far has not had the same problem.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Been using the Tama a lot the past months. No issues. It was holding a heavy drum at tonights gig, a 7x14” Copper.

C2A85B78-1802-45A6-AA63-5AEE98BF64DC.jpeg

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tama flat stuff has been phenomenally good for me. Really strong and simple and has never slipped its disco or stripped the flow. Just a remarkable achievement in fit, form, and functionality.

ZackPomerleau

Reaction score
I have the Tama and I find if you're using a 5" drum it's way too short. My arm is bent down at its highest setting. Unless I'm missing some mysterious height setting.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have the Tama and I find if you're using a 5" drum it's way too short. My arm is bent down at its highest setting. Unless I'm missing some mysterious height setting.
I agree... it should be longer. When mine is set, there's only a few inches left in the tube.
The memory lock key screw also stripped so I replaced it.

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nobody talks about how the Tama can't fold up completely ? Really ?

I got the Yamaha. It's great
I've read that in the reviews, but still don't understand. How can a snare stand not fold?
I'll probably go with the Yamaha. They're what I've been using forever and they never fail me, ever. I just want to get a lighter one

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Tama folds like a vintage stand, into an L shape. So it doesn’t work in a narrow hardware bag. But it does fold, and when folded it lays flat.

ZackPomerleau

Reaction score
I just remove the snare basket from the legs. Even with it in it fits the bag.

I now have a PDP stand and it barely fits. I compared heights and the PDP stand at around half the tube left stands at the very tallest the Tama will go. I like my stand pretty high, so my arms aren't going downward. I lose all power and rebound control with it. It's a great stand but waaaaay too short.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Best kept secret: old Rogers Memriloc snare stands are fairly lightweight and super robust. They'll only hold drums between 12 and 15" (which covers most drums except 10" snares), and if you're snare is in that range, I'd recommend them. Great design and totally stable (which the Tama is not due to its short legs). I bought a bunch of used ones on ebay years and years ago and I'm set for life.

That said, I do have and sometimes use the Tama snare stand (mainly for my 3-piece jam/rehearsal kit). To combat the wobble, I also bought the tom stand version which goes higher than the snare version and seems a bit more stable.