List of people who were good drummers but most wouldn't know it

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prince played drums on his first album. I heard Prairie Prince heard Prince recording his first album, was so knocked by his playing, that he gave him his Yamaha RC Kit.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has Fred Astaire been mentioned yet?

what drums are those (year/make)

1957 I guess Slingerlands? double tom Duco? holy mess
look like 8/10 8/12 hipper than new Starclassics (ha
Wonder if that set is in the catalog- Slingerland 'sperts?

Last edited:

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm hesitant to post this because I have no idea if they are good or not, but former NFL quarterback Doug Flutie and baseball Hall of Famer Mike Piazza are avid drummers.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He also was the drummer for a college band called the Leather Canary which included Walter Becker and Donald Fagen. He also apparently has perfect pitch.
Chevy Chase also plays the trumpet—and his vocals sound a LOT like Paul Simon's...

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone mention Charlie Drayton? He kills it on this video. Bonus: Steve Jordan on bass.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone mention Charlie Drayton? He kills it on this video. Bonus: Steve Jordan on bass.

Charley is a well known drummer. He’s played with the B-52s, Devinyls, Simon & Garfunkel, Michelle Branch as well as the Expensive Winos and many more. Bass is his second instrument.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hesitant to post this because I have no idea if they are good or not, but former NFL quarterback Doug Flutie and baseball Hall of Famer Mike Piazza are avid drummers.
Can’t believe I didn’t think of them. I hosted Doug several times at Zildjian (he’s a local boy) and also sent Mike Piazza some cymbals about 20 years ago.

Also retired Yankee outfielder, Paul O’Neil. He was a super cool guy. Invited me to a Red Sox - Yankee game when they came to Boston.

And while I’m thinking about it, “The Big Unit,” Randy Johnson. I drove him from Zildjian to Fenway once before a game. I had an old BMW 3 series and his knees were practically in his chest he was so cramped! Great guy!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can’t believe I didn’t think of them. I hosted Doug several times at Zildjian (he’s a local boy) and also sent Mike Piazza some cymbals about 20 years ago.

Also retired Yankee outfielder, Paul O’Neil. He was a super cool guy. Invited me to a Red Sox - Yankee game when they came to Boston.

And while I’m thinking about it, “The Big Unit,” Randy Johnson. I drove him from Zildjian to Fenway once before a game. I had an old BMW 3 series and his knees were practically in his chest he was so cramped! Great guy!
I forgot about Randy Johnson. He was given a massive replica Neil Peart R30 kit when Arizona retired his number a few years ago.

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

A little OT: My best friend and long time band mate plays bass for The Flutie Brothers Band and another buddy plays guitar for them. I've been lucky enough to be at gigs (usually to benefit Doug's autism charity) where I've been asked to sit in while Doug makes the rounds greeting donors, etc. Even went up to Canada with them when his brother Darren (who usually plays guitar for the band) was picking up some award from the CFL. They play classic rock. Doug is a massive Lynyrd Skynyrd fan - even has one Michael Cartlellone's LS kits at his house. His drumming keeps getting better every time I hear him.

Best part is they would often do gigs with Ernie and The Automatics. Ernie is big wig car dealer up here. His band was made up of local pros including Boston's Barry Goudreau and Sib Hashian (RIP). I not only got to hang out with Sib on several occasions, but a couple of times he let me jump up on Doug's kit and double drum with him...The first time I did it I just kept looking to my right trying watch him and not screw up. I'm thinking, "Omg, I'm freakin' double drumming with Sib freakin' Hashian in front of 1000 ppl!"

He was even nice enough to show up at one of my band's CD release parties (remember those?) and introduce us...

Sorry for the distraction!

Happy 4th!

Tama42

Reaction score
I once saw a guy who played for quincy il college who had two hooks for hands and he took a solo buddy rich style and killed it and he had one of the smoothest drum rolls to

Slingwig26

Reaction score
There are several famous people who could play drum well but most know them for other things. Add yours to these few who come to my mind like Johnny Carson, Jerry Lewis, Mel Torme, Gary Burgoff, Denver Pyke, and Bob Crane. Who can you think of?
Mel Brooks. A lot of comedians play drums, timing is everything.