List of people who were good drummers but most wouldn't know it

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Prince played drums on his first album. I heard Prairie Prince heard Prince recording his first album, was so knocked by his playing, that he gave him his Yamaha RC Kit.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Has Fred Astaire been mentioned yet?

what drums are those (year/make)

1957 I guess Slingerlands? double tom Duco? holy sheeet
look like 8/10 8/12 hipper than new Starclassics (ha
Wonder if that set is in the catalog- Slingerland 'sperts?

Last edited:

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anyone mention Charlie Drayton? He kills it on this video. Bonus: Steve Jordan on bass.

Charley is a well known drummer. He’s played with the B-52s, Devinyls, Simon & Garfunkel, Michelle Branch as well as the Expensive Winos and many more. Bass is his second instrument.

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm hesitant to post this because I have no idea if they are good or not, but former NFL quarterback Doug Flutie and baseball Hall of Famer Mike Piazza are avid drummers.
Can’t believe I didn’t think of them. I hosted Doug several times at Zildjian (he’s a local boy) and also sent Mike Piazza some cymbals about 20 years ago.

Also retired Yankee outfielder, Paul O’Neil. He was a super cool guy. Invited me to a Red Sox - Yankee game when they came to Boston.

And while I’m thinking about it, “The Big Unit,” Randy Johnson. I drove him from Zildjian to Fenway once before a game. I had an old BMW 3 series and his knees were practically in his chest he was so cramped! Great guy!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Can’t believe I didn’t think of them. I hosted Doug several times at Zildjian (he’s a local boy) and also sent Mike Piazza some cymbals about 20 years ago.

Also retired Yankee outfielder, Paul O’Neil. He was a super cool guy. Invited me to a Red Sox - Yankee game when they came to Boston.

And while I’m thinking about it, “The Big Unit,” Randy Johnson. I drove him from Zildjian to Fenway once before a game. I had an old BMW 3 series and his knees were practically in his chest he was so cramped! Great guy!
I forgot about Randy Johnson. He was given a massive replica Neil Peart R30 kit when Arizona retired his number a few years ago.

drumstuff66

Reaction score

A little OT: My best friend and long time band mate plays bass for The Flutie Brothers Band and another buddy plays guitar for them. I've been lucky enough to be at gigs (usually to benefit Doug's autism charity) where I've been asked to sit in while Doug makes the rounds greeting donors, etc. Even went up to Canada with them when his brother Darren (who usually plays guitar for the band) was picking up some award from the CFL. They play classic rock. Doug is a massive Lynyrd Skynyrd fan - even has one Michael Cartlellone's LS kits at his house. His drumming keeps getting better every time I hear him.

Best part is they would often do gigs with Ernie and The Automatics. Ernie is big wig car dealer up here. His band was made up of local pros including Boston's Barry Goudreau and Sib Hashian (RIP). I not only got to hang out with Sib on several occasions, but a couple of times he let me jump up on Doug's kit and double drum with him...The first time I did it I just kept looking to my right trying watch him and not screw up. I'm thinking, "Omg, I'm freakin' double drumming with Sib freakin' Hashian in front of 1000 ppl!"

He was even nice enough to show up at one of my band's CD release parties (remember those?) and introduce us...

Sorry for the distraction!

Happy 4th!

Latest posts