List of people who were good drummers but most wouldn't know it

Monday317

Reaction score
Patrick McGoohan--yes, the lead actor on Secret Agent and The Prisoner among many others had great chops.

He learned to play for a role in a late ’50s flick called Up All Night, a jazz-based variation of Shakespeare's Othello (he was the Iago of the story) and developed really good technique. Worth a look for jazzbos.

jeffintampa

Reaction score
There are several famous people who could play drum well but most know them for other things. Add yours to these few who come to my mind like Johnny Carson, Jerry Lewis, Mel Torme, Gary Burgoff, Denver Pyke, and Bob Crane. Who can you think of?
James Brown

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
David Gilmour

Hell yea, the bass player plays the electric guitar and the drummer plays the bass, and Gilmour on drums...I think Rick could only play the Piano/keyboard...
A lot of the well-known musicians are multi-instrumentalists.

BlueFlame

Reaction score
I'm hesitant to post this because I have no idea if they are good or not, but former NFL quarterback Doug Flutie and baseball Hall of Famer Mike Piazza are avid drummers.
Can’t believe I didn’t think of them. I hosted Doug several times at Zildjian (he’s a local boy) and also sent Mike Piazza some cymbals about 20 years ago.

Also retired Yankee outfielder, Paul O’Neil. He was a super cool guy. Invited me to a Red Sox - Yankee game when they came to Boston.

And while I’m thinking about it, “The Big Unit,” Randy Johnson. I drove him from Zildjian to Fenway once before a game. I had an old BMW 3 series and his knees were practically in his chest he was so cramped! Great guy!
Yankees Mark Texiera and Ron Guidry too. I know Guidry and O’Neil kept kits in the clubhouse. Tony Cintron was close with Paul O’Neil and used to give him lessons at the stadium. Tony would call me at 6:00 and say, “I got Paul’s seats - meet me here at 6:30!” Fun times.

Keith1

Reaction score
There are several famous people who could play drum well but most know them for other things. Add yours to these few who come to my mind like Johnny Carson, Jerry Lewis, Mel Torme, Gary Burgoff, Denver Pyke, and Bob Crane. Who can you think of?
Karen Carpenter believe it or not

Corbin L Douthitt

Reaction score
Sammy Davis Jr.

jmato

Reaction score
Fred Armsen (if you only know him for comedy).

Morello Man

Reaction score
Joe Lovano!!!!
Mike Brecker, Chick Corea, George Coligan, Don Alias (most people only think of him as a percussionist,) and if I am going to go "there" then I should mention Mino Cinelu, and Sam Clayton (had a little 3 piece as part of his percussion set-up with Little Feat (I always thought that was REALLY cool!)

Steve Perry (from what I've been told is a very good drummer,) and Stevie Wonder!!!!

MSG
Stevie Wonder. Saw him open for Joe Cocker at the Santa Monica Civic. Played a helluva drum solo. Others? Cab Calloway was a drummer in his early days, Peter Sellers was a drummer right after WW II, Harry James played drums and so did Roy Eldridge. Fred Astaire. James Coburn, although it might have been congas rather than kit. Marlon Brando played congas. Scatman Crothers played kit as did Bing Crosby. Jack Palance did a drums/kazoo thing as a kid.