Little Feat Friday

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Saw them on the WFC tour with the horns!
Memorial Hall,KCK.
John Hall opened.
Ive always loved that band.
Especially in their studio recordings of Richies drums,effected in some way.
Willin' is a masterpiece.
RIP Richie and Lowell

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
my favorite band all time, and top 5 drummer for sure - the CRIMINALLY underrated richie hayward.

LouPLant

Reaction score

Bill Payne gives a great tribute to Richie Hayward on his website.
I think somewhere on his webpage he also tells the story of how Clapton brought his band to see Little Feat... so they could see a "proper band".
I love Little Feat, and to me there is something magical about Richie Haywards drumming.

Last edited:

m_anderson

Reaction score

I love Little Feat, and to me there is something magical about Richie Haywards drumming.
Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it before, and it is well worth the read. "Magical" is the perfect word. My best friend (big brother I never had, mentor, and drummer extraordinaire) calls Richie Hayward a "Drum God".

This is the best quote from Bill Payne, and I could not agree more:

"He was destined to carve a place in musical history as one of the most unique and arguably best drummers there ever was."

I was lucky enough to see Little Feat twice before Lowell George passed. Once at the Capital Centre in Largo, MD, which was The Last Record Album tour. Had the whole works with Tower of Power horns. What I recall most is they opened for Dave Mason. After Little Feat was finished, the place turned into more of a big club with everyone talking and partying. Point being, everyone was there to see Little Feat, not Dave Mason. When Little Feat was performing, it was absolutely incredible and all eyes were on the stage. Second time was at George Washington University where part of the Waiting for Columbus album was recorded. I saw the Feat quite a few times after Lowell George passed, once at the Recher Theatre in Towson, MD, where I got the chance to speak with Richie Hayward for just a bit. He was so down to earth and personable. Beyond thanking him for the inspiration over the years, I remember asking him "How do you keep that hi-hat going all the time?" Response was pretty simple, "Just practice and keep it going".

Last edited:

lamartee

Reaction score
Whenever my "Groove-O-Mometer" needs a tune up I just listen to anything on "Waiting for Columbus" and Mr. H resets it for me. A true American master!