Little help dating this Rogers dyna-sonic wood snare

rcg916

Reaction score
Hey all, thanks in advance for any direction you can provide. I was given a vintage Rogers Dyna Sonic wood snare by a family member, and upon receiving it, I realized I knew nothing about vintage drums haha. Through research I'm fairly certain its an early one, but I wasn't sure quite how early. Here's what I know:

bread and butter lugs
sizing is 14 x 5
clockface throwoff
Gold sparkle finish (not certain thats the official color name but thats how I've seen if referenced)
Serial number 2407

Not selling it or anything so I'm not too worried about value, but just wanted to be sure of what I had, so I could decide whether to play it or find another snare for daily use.

Thanks so much. What a great resource.

Attachments

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would love to date her, always liked those interiors..........

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh my. How are the lugs? If cracked you can either repair them with epoxy or replace them with modern reproductions from Rogers (and pack the originals away). Tall boy hoops look original as well.

Just noticed the internal paper tag is missing. That most likely would have told you who at the Rogers factory assembled the drum.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
At serial 2407 it's probably 1963....but could fall into later 1962. The lugs changed over right around the 2700 number.
Either way it doesn't affect the value. Very desirable snare and it looks great. Interior is killer. Any corner/edge cracks on those lugs? It's almost impossible to avoid unless it was rarely played and never tensioned up much.

rcg916

Reaction score
Oh my. How are the lugs? If cracked you can either repair them with epoxy or replace them with modern reproductions from Rogers (and pack the originals away). Tall boy hoops look original as well.

Just noticed the internal paper tag is missing. That most likely would have told you who at the Rogers factory assembled the drum.
Thanks for the info! No cracks in the lugs that I can spot. They loosened very easily when I took off the batter head. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to have a paper tag inside, but youre right, there isn't one. Thanks again.

-- I actually found 2 that were cracked

Last edited:

rcg916

Reaction score
At serial 2407 it's probably 1963....but could fall into later 1962. The lugs changed over right around the 2700 number.
Either way it doesn't affect the value. Very desirable snare and it looks great. Interior is killer. Any corner/edge cracks on those lugs? It's almost impossible to avoid unless it was rarely played and never tensioned up much.
Thanks a ton for the reply. I looked over them and I dont see any cracks in the lugs. Im going to look closer and maybe Google some pics to see what I'm looking for. They loosened very smoothly when I removed the head.

Edit - upon closer inspection, 2 are cracked

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rogers USA makes repro bread and butter lugs. if your going to tension it up and play it I would suggest replacing all 10 (save the originals, there worth 30 bucks ea. and will be good to have if you sell) repro's about 12 bucks ea. The Sparkling gold has faded what looks to be a silvery champagne color now, affects value but not to bad. Its a player not a highly collectable because of the fade. There were no paper tags on these later 63 drums. Looks complete sans the rail, I think Rogers makes repro's of these as well. Nice drum , these things sound amazing!

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rogers USA makes repro bread and butter lugs. if your going to tension it up and play it I would suggest replacing all 10 (save the originals, there worth 30 bucks ea. and will be good to have if you sell) repro's about 12 bucks ea. The Sparkling gold has faded what looks to be a silvery champagne color now, affects value but not to bad. Its a player not a highly collectable because of the fade. There were no paper tags on these later 63 drums. Looks complete sans the rail, I think Rogers makes repro's of these as well. Nice drum , these things sound amazing!
PS. The throw is factory correct. Notice the letter D (DynaSonic) stamped directly below the turnknob on the face of the hexagon bolt.

rcg916

Reaction score
Thanks a ton, that is a relief. I was hoping it would be playable on a daily basis. I obviously do not know enough to dive into collecting quite yet, I prefer playing haha. I think I'll do just what you suggested and get it set up to play. Thanks again. I was given this and a set of mid 70s ludwigs, so I'm feeling pretty good about the upgrades.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The very first wood dynas had paper tags and no metal exterior oval badge. Likely less than two hundred in total. I own one in WMP. Then they switched to the exterior oval Custom-built badge that we all know. I know of no wood dyna that has both a paper tag as well as the Custom built exterior badge.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Rogers repro rail w/ wires in about $60 at most music shops. One can just buy the wires as well. Considering the drum, it might be worth an original rail. It’s not very expensive.

rcg916

Reaction score
The Rogers repro rail w/ wires in about $60 at most music shops. One can just buy the wires as well. Considering the drum, it might be worth an original rail. It’s not very expensive.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll dig around to see if I can find an original one for sale.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
The design details of the rails did change over time, and the early drums had specific details on the rail, including how the wires were mounted. That being said, they all interchange which is good since the correct one will be very hard to find, and not cheap. Finding the correct one requires detailed knowledge of what you're looking for, but again, any of them will work. Call Bobby Chaisson at the Drum Farm (a renowned Rogers expert and vintage drum seller) and he will help with some knowledge. He might even have the correct one, but it's not likely.

Luckily, the new guys who are making new Rogers drums and parts have a nice mid-60's reproduction complete with wires etc for around $60, an excellent deal.

I don't know what kind of music you play, but a Dynasonic is not the first choice for rock or any heavy backbeat music. A lot folks consider it a 'jazz' drum since it's responsiveness and sensitivity are made for playing that is heavy on the rudiments. Many people who play Rogers vintage drums like the Powertone (an 8-lug drum that is a classic in it's own right) for most situations. They are available in both maple and brass.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let’s s
Thanks a ton, that is a relief. I was hoping it would be playable on a daily basis. I obviously do not know enough to dive into collecting quite yet, I prefer playing haha. I think I'll do just what you suggested and get it set up to play. Thanks again. I was given this and a set of mid 70s ludwigs, so I'm feeling pretty good about the upgrades.
Lets see that kit

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on that snare. Beautiful. Here's mine. I know it's from 1963 because I have the original sales slips. The serial # is 3xxx. One question I have is, mine doesn't have the blackface throwoff
P1010038.JPG
and I'm not sure why, or if they changed at around that time.