Little help dating this Rogers dyna-sonic wood snare

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The very first wood dynas had paper tags and no metal exterior oval badge. Likely less than two hundred in total. I own one in WMP. Then they switched to the exterior oval Custom-built badge that we all know. I know of no wood dyna that has both a paper tag as well as the Custom built exterior badge.
Good to know. I just learned something!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Be worth more if it was setup as a true Dynasonic, getting the snare bed carrier and parts would add to the value.

I'm not sure why I never saw this thread! Let me weigh in! Given that the OP got the drum for free, I would certainly invest in 10 lugs and a complete rail assembly from those online stores offering the new ones. The provided picture above is the rail offered by Al Drew Music and is the one for the 70's Big R Dynasonic drums. Honestly, I wouldn't bother trying to source a period-correct rail and wires. When they do show up, the price is through the roof! Repro parts are just fine for this shell!

Even though the interior label is missing (can you see where the label was?) it still has the very desirable "fruitwood" stain. Not a whole lot of wood-shell Dynasonic drums with that interior finish!

So, to recap, remove the original lugs and store them away and purchase 10 new B&B reproduction lugs and snare rail assembly. Yes, you're still looking in the neighborhood of $200 in parts, but well worth it in my book!

-Mark

lcondo123

Reaction score
For the record, your snare never came with a paper tag. I'm not sure why people keep saying it's missing - it was never there in the first place. Dyna-sonics (minus the VERY FEW first made) never had paper tags. Your Custom Built badge on the outside with the serial number is what's used to date it. Like said above, 2407 puts it at late 1962, early 1963.

Looks like you're missing about half of the original tension rods, as well as the end-cap plates on the bottom side hoop frame. Here's what a complete frame and bottom of a same-period Dyna looks like:
1633487651490.png

1633487671729.png

1633487802164.png

Echoing what everyone else has said, get repro lugs, also get a new set of 20 tension rods, but DO NOT get rid of those originals - those are worth a lot!!!!

Here's all the new parts you'll need to get your snare up and running:
Rogers Dyna-Sonic Snare Rail Unit with 20 Strand Snare Wires | Big Bang Distribution
Rogers Dyna-sonic Bottom Hoop Guards w/screws (pair) | Big Bang Distribution
Rogers 1-5/8” Tension Rods w/ captive washer & ABS washer • 20 pack | Big Bang Distribution
Rogers B&B (“Bread & Butter”) Die-Cast Lug | Big Bang Distribution

Make sure you get some Diplomats top and bottom to fully realize the sensitivity and incredible touch these snares have.

With the reproduction parts to complete the drum, should you ever decide to sell, you've got about a $1,200-$1,400 snare on your hands. If you can manage to find clean original parts to bring the drum to collectors quality, that's a $1,800+ drum all day.

Have fun with it!!!! Keep us posted with your updates.

rcg916

Reaction score
For the record, your snare never came with a paper tag. I'm not sure why people keep saying it's missing - it was never there in the first place. Dyna-sonics (minus the VERY FEW first made) never had paper tags. Your Custom Built badge on the outside with the serial number is what's used to date it. Like said above, 2407 puts it at late 1962, early 1963.

Looks like you're missing about half of the original tension rods, as well as the end-cap plates on the bottom side hoop frame. Here's what a complete frame and bottom of a same-period Dyna looks like:
View attachment 521155

View attachment 521156

View attachment 521159

Echoing what everyone else has said, get repro lugs, also get a new set of 20 tension rods, but DO NOT get rid of those originals - those are worth a lot!!!!

Rogers Dyna-Sonic Snare Rail Unit with 20 Strand Snare Wires | Big Bang Distribution
Rogers 1-5/8” Tension Rods w/ captive washer & ABS washer • 20 pack | Big Bang Distribution

Make sure you get some Diplomats top and bottom to fully realize the sensitivity and incredible touch these snares have.

With the reproduction parts to complete the drum, should you ever decide to sell, you've got about a $1,200-$1,400 snare on your hands. If you can manage to find clean original parts to bring the drum to collectors quality, that's a $1,800+ drum all day.

Thank you so much for the reply! And I also appreciate the links. Ive ordered everything and removed the old lugs. I found a replacement clockface throw off - the one I have works well, but in the interest of preserving the parts, should I go ahead and switch that out as well?

Thanks again. Im excited to get it going to play.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the reply! And I also appreciate the links. Ive ordered everything and removed the old lugs. I found a replacement clockface throw off - the one I have works well, but in the interest of preserving the parts, should I go ahead and switch that out as well?

Thanks again. Im excited to get it going to play.
As long as the original throwoff works, it's OK to use!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Actually, about the first 50 wood-shell Dynasonics did have paper tags! There's an example of one in Rob Cook's Rogers book. The tags were used until the oval badge was ready.

-Mark

rcg916

Reaction score

View attachment 521155

View attachment 521156

View attachment 521159

I have all of the parts except the rail, which should be here this week. While I have it apart, I had a couple quick questions. What can I use to safely clean up the upper and lower hoops? Some residue built up and Id like to polish them before I reassemble.

Also, I took note of your suggestion for diplomat heads - coated top and bottom? Hazy diplomat for the snare side? I've also seen it noted that the drum originally had coated diplomat top and coated ambassador reso? What would you suggest here.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it.

lcondo123

Reaction score
Actually, about the first 50 wood-shell Dynasonics did have paper tags! There's an example of one in Rob Cook's Rogers book. The tags were used until the oval badge was ready.

-Mark
Thanks for the details, Mark. That's what I meant when I said the very first few did, I just didn't have the numbers to pull outta my head - those are rare birds!

I have all of the parts except the rail, which should be here this week. While I have it apart, I had a couple quick questions. What can I use to safely clean up the upper and lower hoops? Some residue built up and Id like to polish them before I reassemble.

Also, I took note of your suggestion for diplomat heads - coated top and bottom? Hazy diplomat for the snare side? I've also seen it noted that the drum originally had coated diplomat top and coated ambassador reso? What would you suggest here.

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it.
Happy to hear you're making progress!

Firstly, soak all of the chrome parts (like the hoops) in Dawn and warm water. Specifically the non-scented blue Dawn. Do about 40/60 Dawn/water and let the parts soak overnight. Pull 'em out, dry them off with a soft towel, and see how they look. If there's still some cleaning you want done, take a microfiber cloth and polish the parts with some chrome polish. I personally use turtle wax chrome polish. Those two steps will make them look brand new!

Also, if you've got the bare shell, I recommend polishing the sparkle wrap with carnauba wax. Worked miracles on my silver sparkle kit. Here's a quick before and after set of pictures of my 14" floor tom that got the treatment I just described above. You can see how much more depth comes out of the sparkle.

1634661631817.png
1634661650635.png

If you want the full sensitivity, go hazy snare side and coated batter - both diplos. You also can't go wrong with a coated Ambassador batter and ambassador snare side. Or a combination diplomat and ambassador. Completely up to you! I have an Evans UV1 batter and ambassador snare side on my 1968 wood Dyna.

Luke

Last edited: