Live And Let Die

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris! I really liked the drum sounds. What ride are you using there?

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
New performance video featuring 1991 N&C Horizon drums and 2021 Istanbul Agops.
Wow! There are some drummers, like you, who hit with so much natural power that every hit is like a punch in the chest, and has a certain sound that’s not easy to replicate by just hitting hard.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
imagining (if) Ringo was on that tune..
I can imagine possible

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Forgot to ask: when you did this live, did you use a click or background track?

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The "Tripping the Live Fantastic" is one of my favorite CDs to listen to and practice along with. Your drumming is so tasteful and your Noble & Cooley's sound wonderful. I hope you will do more of these types of videos. I always enjoy hearing musicians break down the parts they played on well-known recordings. I'd especially like to know how you did the opening to "Coming Up" that incorporates both acoustic and electronic sounds.

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
I caught this on YouTube the day you posted it. Thank you for posting videos like this. I aspire to play as solidly and musically as you do.

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
New performance video featuring 1991 N&C Horizon drums and 2021 Istanbul Agops.
Chris, loving the sound of your N&C kit!
On the tour did you use shallow depth toms? If so, what's you opinion on the tonal/timbre difference... can you compare/contrast the shallower toms versus the deeper toms in the vid above?
Thanks!

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On the tour did you use shallow depth toms? If so, what's you opinion on the tonal/timbre difference... can you compare/contrast the shallower toms versus the deeper toms in the vid above?
Thanks!
I'm a fan of standard toms. The N&C Star Series single ply kit was only available with shallow toms so I had no choice.
I played the Horizon series on the Dire Straits tour and this Horizon kit is still one of my two main kits (along with a vintage Camco).
Both Star and Horizon are great kits, hard to compare them exactly as one is shallow depth but single ply, the other is standard depth but multi-ply.

Tarkus

Reaction score
Really great drumming. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Complicated song with many tempo and rhythm changes. A good showcase for a good drummer, as you have to play with force, AND you have to set all the tempi right. Both is not easy, but together it's hard. OK, here it is 'playing along', but you were the one who made the original recording. And I guess, Paul McCartney was OK with your tempi, otherwise he would not have published this.

I like the sound of your set (Keller shells, right?) and cymbals. They fit very well together.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, it's harder to play along than to be in the moment, either dictating the tempo or watching people's body motion for tempo cues.
The Horizon shells are quite special, with horizontal ply and an inner ply of mahogany.
I guess they are supplied by Keller, but I've never asked N&C.