Live From My Drum Room - "Get Back" and Ringo's Drums & Cymbals

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
After watching "Get Back" and all the revelations regarding Ringo's cymbals, yesterday's show was a deep dive into Ringo's drums and cymbals. I was fortunate to have some incredible and very knowledgeable guests, Dave Mattacks, Gary Astridge and two of our esteemed members, Brendan Lazar and @toddlittle827 . Thank you both!

Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...rom-my-drum-room/id1575100168?i=1000543782978

Warning: Contains excessive drum geeking and some adult language.

gbow

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another great one John. I always love hearing all these stories, the research, and history. Of course like all of us, Ringo, Charlie, and everyone played what they liked and what was available to them, not thinking at the time about any of this.

Starting out just as broke as the rest of us, so playing whatever they could scrounge up. And later, playing all the prototypes and "first's" of the top end equipment, as they had become the biggest artists on the planet. All in a span of just a few years.

Which all makes for some interesting setups.

gabo

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great discussions . Thanks for bringing these gentlemen together for a intelligent discussion on this interesting topic, John.Thanks to Gary, Dave, Brendan, Todd and especially you, John, for bringing them all together.
Looking forward to your future shows!

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After watching "Get Back" and all the revelations regarding Ringo's cymbals, yesterday's show was a deep dive into Ringo's drums and cymbals. I was fortunate to have some incredible and very knowledgeable guests, Dave Mattacks, Gary Astridge and two of our esteemed members, Brendan Lazar and @toddlittle827 . Thank you both!

Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...rom-my-drum-room/id1575100168?i=1000543782978

Warning: Contains excessive drum geeking and some adult language.

And boy do I have seller's remorse now!!

Ludwig Maple Hollywood offset.JPG

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe I haven't added your podcast to my favorites list. I have now! Thanks John and all.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
John should do a Podcast with famous and known drummers and have the topic be "Slave vs Individuality" - from a drum seat perspective (of course) - and see where they all fall in their outlook(s) over the years..
how much individuality is acceptable preferable vs how much is/was yielding to others

which one in the end---- was the most responsible for their success and popularity
the get-along-nice guy or the I-want- the-way-he plays guy

and how that all balanced/balances

~
I think there's a third element besides the two above. when
you get others TO THINK you are bending to their wishes ~ ; )
so include that..
~
for drummers to give up their individuality, that's a heck of a mountain to climb
~
it'd be interesting to hear that discussed Johnny D
(especially Rick Marrotta's responses (lol) he'll throw a champagne glass thru the zoom screen (lol)
~
I mean they talk a good game.."oh yeah I had to back off 2000%..."
See what Gadd says: " I don't think about that I just want it to feel good" (translation: stand back from me 25ft in the studio if you don't want any harm (lol)

Andy Newmark will say " ah. I just. remember.. one way...." : )

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
more Rick Marotta I think he's the funniest : )
(how easy is he to get him on your Zoom?..
he's the best and Gadd them two when they tangle it's hilarious

Last edited:

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
I just watched this whole episode John, great job putting it together! I’ve watched all three parts of the documentary, but am planning on watching it again, and will pay attention to some of the things that were brought up.

Tarkus

Reaction score
Great podcast, as always. Thank you, John, for sharing and bringing a community together.

About few years ago, I would not have listened for 5 min anything solely about Ringos cymbals (apart from their genuine sounds in Beatles songs, of course). With a bit more knowledge, that I inhaled in forums (mostly this one), it made really fun and sense to follow the discussion. Comments like "...ah, this must be the second Zyn out there that sounded good." say so much.

Funny that I thought (without knowing): this young guy could be DFOs 'Giant Beater'. Turned out he is. Thanks for your great input on the Ringo threads. For me a highlight of the forum.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
grrrrreat stuff, John !! I'm wondering how tightly Ringo torqued down his cymbals ( the two big ones ) . I always figured his hats were 15 's . I've got a 20"pre serial 602 med. and wish I'd never traded/sold all my A's before they were authentically vintage... oh well, everything old is new once more . I've a feeling the value of 60's A's are going to get quite a boost after this podcast . I'm feeling the itch myself ... may just head down to Daves Drumshop to "poke around " . My wife can read me like a book , no use trying to obfuscate upon her .... I married an angel .

Thanks again .

Last edited: