Live From My Drum Room With Liberty DeVitto!

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had Liberty on "Live From My Drum Room" last Sunday and it was a blast! If you haven't read his book, "Life, Billy And The Pursuit Of Happiness" I highly recommend it!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this! And this Friday, April 16th 1pm EDT I'll have Ash Soan on the show.

Coming soon: Todd Sucherman - Sunday, April 25th and Stan & Jerry Keyawa from Pro Drum Hollywood - Wednesday, April 28th 1pm EDT.

Thanks for watching and don't forget to subscribe! 706 subscribers - wow! lol

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. John, one question, why do you want to stop accepting subscriptions after 1,000?

BonzoBonham

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This March 1978 television concert never gets old

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. John, one question, why do you want to stop accepting subscriptions after 1,000?
Two reasons:
1. To keep it small and intimate with my 1,000 closest friends. Just like the 5,000 on Facebook ;)
2. Because if I say no more than 1,000 subscribers, then 100,000 will want to subscribe ;)

I was being sarcastic. It's become an inside joke. There are 4 year olds with more YouTube subscribers.

But all kidding aside, thanks for watching Dan.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had Liberty on "Live From My Drum Room" last Sunday and it was a blast! If you haven't read his book, "Life, Billy And The Pursuit Of Happiness" I highly recommend it!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this! And this Friday, April 16th 1pm EDT I'll have Ash Soan on the show.

Coming soon: Todd Sucherman - Sunday, April 25th and Stan & Jerry Keyawa from Pro Drum Hollywood - Wednesday, April 28th 1pm EDT.

Thanks for watching and don't forget to subscribe! 706 subscribers - wow! lol
Never seen him live, but, have seen him in a video clinic. OMG! I've never seen anyone mash their drums and cymbals like that before, or since. On second thought, maybe they weren't his.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Two reasons:
1. To keep it small and intimate with my 1,000 closest friends. Just like the 5,000 on Facebook ;)
2. Because if I say no more than 1,000 subscribers, then 100,000 will want to subscribe ;)

I was being sarcastic. It's become an inside joke. There are 4 year olds with more YouTube subscribers.

But all kidding aside, thanks for watching Dan.

I certainly hope you keep doing these John. Even after we are back to normal. I may not always get to hear them live, but I definitely listen later on. If you talk to Liberty anytime soon again, I would be curious to know what happened to the Ludwig set from the 60's he had. He said it was bought brand new in the late 60's and it was a 24,13,16 in burgundy sparkle. Burgundy sparkle is rare enough on it's own but a 60's 24" burgundy sparkle is about as rare as they come.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I enjoy your discussions with Liberty and he seems to be a very down to earth, humble guy...thanks for bringing it to DFO!
Chris

highmileage

Reaction score
Never seen him live, but, have seen him in a video clinic. OMG! I've never seen anyone mash their drums and cymbals like that before, or since. On second thought, maybe they weren't his.
I did get to see him once with Billy in the mid 80's. He hit so hard he ended up with a crash cymbal in his lap... I think he broke the top of the stand right off, but I was lucky to have any seat so I was stuck up in the nosebleeds and couldn't see it.

He's one of the guys who made me want to get into drumming in the first place many years ago. I had a half a lifetime break since I got back into it again recently, but that song always gets me. Awesome.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
Thanks for this John I watched it last night.

From memory Liberty DeVitto was the first or maybe second (I can't remember for certain if it was him or Virgil) drum clinic I ever went to probably thirty years ago. I remember him talking about fast and slow twitch muscles and the different drummers and their speed capabilities because of that, among other things like how he got the gig with Billy Joel etc.

His really strong message though was about playing for the song and not just being fast and flashy. He spoke about Ringo's drum parts and showed us how they came up with his own for Just The Way You Are. A beautiful song for sure but my personal favourite is The Stranger, I've always loved that song and his drum groove and fills in that are just brilliant.