Live From My Drum Room With Simon Kirke

langmick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw Bad Co a few years ago at Pine Knob, one of the best shows I've ever seen. Simon made that 4pc kit work, with hats, one crash and one ride, and dynamically add so much life and color to those classic songs. I was totally blown away.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Ok, my favorite episode keeps changing, but THIS is my favorite so far, John. LOL!

I play in a Bad Co tribute band and Simon has been so incredibly kind to me. He is a true legend. There is so much rock and roll history in him, yet he's very humble. His playing is a lesson in how to groove and play for the song. He's been a huge influence on me and a lot of us, I'm sure.

Thoroughly enjoyed the interview. And that '72 BB, wow! I somehow missed the Charlie Watts episode that included Simon, so I'm going back to watch it!

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great episode, John!
And now, let the discussion start: were there some Black Beauties made in the early 70's, before the well documented revival in 77/78?
Or is this a special snare made for an artist?

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a fabulous way to start the day !! Thank you John !!

Dem Brits have a way with words -

" one two three goo-bratt "
" little hiccups "

" tricky bits " - Kenny Jones

Highway , Fire and Water , Heartbreaker , these are some of the reasons I pursued drumming . He always had a real nice crisp snare and his tuning and touch had a tasteful authority . Sure, you can do tricks with mic placement etc., but there has to be something to build on ,especially back in Jurrasic age of recording drums . Kirke had it in abundance .The drum sound on Fire and Water, to me, is one of the best of all time . Haymans? Gretsch ? Ludwig ? Supraphonic ? BB ? It's the drummer not the drums .

Here's an obscure track . Aces .

Last edited:

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 1975 at the age of sixteen I filled in on drum with my brother's band, at the age of seventeen I became a regular member. (My brother was three years older than me, the rest of the band was in their mid to late twenties.) The band covered Stones, Aerosmith, Rod Stewart, Jeff Beck Group, Free, Bad Company, among others. My brother, the lead guitarist was a big fan of Mick Ralphs, so we were covering at least four Bad Co songs when I joined. When they would release a new album, we would drop one of their songs and put a new one in our rotation.

As such, I learned to play a lot of Simon Kirke's music. It was a good education in the importance of supporting the song first. As such, I've always been a fan.

It was a great interview.

Ludwigboy

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great discussion with Simon Kirke, John.
Lots of interesting points he makes and love the '72 Black Beauty...
My favourite song of Bad Company was "Can't get enough" ; I liked Simon's "introduction count-in" on that song!

Tarkus

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this episode. One of my favorite rock drummers.

Of course I noticed quite at the start of interview that you placed your silver Hayman in the background. And I was happy to get first hand information from Simon Kirke. With Free, he was THE Hayman drummer in my memory. Sad, that he doesn't have his anymore.

Was also interesting to follow your 'on line text'. Don't know the tool you used, but it greatly failed when discussion came to cymbals. Don't remember how many different word it made out of 'Paiste'.

Just as forum service, here the two songs he mentioned that everybody should listen for great backbeat drumming:

With this Al Jackson beat, it's the same as with Simon Kirkes drumming: it sounds so easy - until you try to reproduce its feel and force exactly. Have never reached that ...

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this episode. One of my favorite rock drummers.

Of course I noticed quite at the start of interview that you placed your silver Hayman in the background. And I was happy to get first hand information from Simon Kirke. With Free, he was THE Hayman drummer in my memory. Sad, that he doesn't have his anymore.

Was also interesting to follow your 'on line text'. Don't know the tool you used, but it greatly failed when discussion came to cymbals. Don't remember how many different word it made out of 'Paiste'.

With this Al Jackson beat, it's the same as with Simon Kirkes drumming: it sounds so easy - until you try to reproduce its feel and force exactly. Have never reached that ...
Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The last time I had Simon on my show (for a Charlie Watts Tribute) we talked about Hayman Drums, so I brought my Hayman kit into the Drum Room. It was great to hear his comments.

"Was also interesting to follow your 'on line text'. Don't know the tool you used, but it greatly failed when discussion came to cymbals. Don't remember how many different word it made out of 'Paiste'."
Are you being sarcastic about how he pronounced Paiste? I find that to be a common occurrence, even with their endorsers :)

I agree about Al Jackson... an impossible feel to replicate.

Tarkus

Reaction score

"Was also interesting to follow your 'on line text'. Don't know the tool you used, but it greatly failed when discussion came to cymbals. Don't remember how many different word it made out of 'Paiste'."
Are you being sarcastic about how he pronounced Paiste? I find that to be a common occurrence, even with their endorsers :)

No, no. Would never be sarcastic against you. Who am I.
There are subtitles below your video, writing what you are talking, the whole time. I thought, you used a video tool to put them there. But it might be automatically generated by youtube, and only shown according to your youtube settings. Maybe you haven't seen them yourself.
This tool makes also mistakes, and when it came to the cymbal discussion, it didn't write 'Paiste' a single time: Picey or paicy or pasty. Zilgian. The 'Bonzo thing' became 'bonsai thing' and so on. Just turn it on, you'll laugh as well.

But seriously the real pronunciation of 'Paiste' - I honestly don't know. It's not Swiss, nor German, the name is originally from Estonia. And it's a family name, which could have it's very own pronunciation.

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No, no. Would never be sarcastic against you. Who am I.
There are subtitles below your video, writing what you are talking, the whole time. I thought, you used a video tool to put them there. But it might be automatically generated by youtube, and only shown according to your youtube settings. Maybe you haven't seen them yourself.
This tool makes also mistakes, and when it came to the cymbal discussion, it didn't write 'Paiste' a single time: Picey or paicy or pasty. Zilgian. The 'Bonzo thing' became 'bonsai thing' and so on. Just turn it on, you'll laugh as well.

But seriously the real pronunciation of 'Paiste' - I honestly don't know. It's not Swiss, nor German, the name is originally from Estonia. And it's a family name, which could have it's very own pronunciation.
I might have checked the "closed caption" button on YouTube, but it's off now. Thanks for letting me know. I turned it on to see, and you're right; the words were very funny!

Cheers!

gbow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great interview John. There is a comment in there about recording that first album where Simon, talking about the bass players says: "When Peter Grant first saw us, we didn't have Boz, we had another guy who was kinda hanging around. He was pretty good but then he disappeared."

I bet whoever that guy was looks back and thinks, wow did I ever screw that up!! Could have been the bass player on one of the greatest albums in rock history!!

I'm sure whoever that was, he probably also went on to many other great things, but missing out on that, wow. Great stories.

Sort of sounds like something that would happen to me :)

And it was great to hear him mention Roger Hawkins, I grew up in N. AL., close to Muscle Shoals, and spent some time with Roger as a kid. He was a great guy and a great drummer.

gabo

Last edited: