Live Hip Hop Drum Setups

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I look at my setup as a multipurpose setup since i use the same setup for everything that i play for the most part. 1 rack tom, 1 floor tom (rarely 2), kick (16, 20 or 22), 2 snares (one mid-high and one low and phat, a loose 8" splash to put on my snare for claps, a cymbal stack consisting of cracked 16" and 18" Sabian HHX crashes, two crash-able ride cymbals, 16" and 18" crashes. This setup gives me versatility for so many genres and styles of music. I take a lot of my hip hop influence from ?uestlove, Chris Dave, Adam Deitch, Nate Smith, Steve Jordan and drummers from styles all over the musical spectrum. Just have fun with it.

chillybase

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone for chiming in. I appreciate it. I welcome any additional input if you have it but this is a great start.

chillybase

Reaction score
I just realized you are lefty like me.

Some pure Hip-Hop setups I have used through the last 22 years:

Very diverse as you can see. Suited for each occasion. There are times minimal setups just don't work (heck listen to Dilla. Breaks all over the place). What does work is getting your internal timing right. Practice with different tempo's daily and do so on a kick snare hat setup only first. When you think you are there. You are not.

The reason I love working with a producer like Shroom is that he is demanding. Very demanding. And has every right to be so. And it works. It gets the best out of you as a drummer.

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
I would go as simple as possible (think Steve Jordan). The focus has to be kick, snare and hats.
I've yet to live my dream of playing a hip hop show but when I think of the perfect crash cymbal sound for the genre I think of Questlove and a big ol' Oriental Crash of Doom... which makes a great ride too!

This is the track that comes to mind

chillybase

Reaction score
I've been digging this series since this thread has sent me down some rabbit holes. In the description of each video, it lists what cymbals they used for the performance. I am noticing that big hi-hats seem to be common. In this case, 16" in size. Three of the videos are using an A Avedis reissue bottom hat (with rivets) as a top and a K EFX crash as a bottom hat. I dig the sound.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Check out Lenny "The Ox" Reece behind Dj Premier on this Tiny Desk Concert.
Cool as a cucumber, does what what needs to be done in such a way the it never distracts.
These are the breaks! Oh & dig the roll of gaffer on the snare :cool:

chillybase

Reaction score
It seems that NPR's Tiny Desk has a wealth of live hip hop. Albeit in a low volume setting but still a great starting point.

Check out Lenny "The Ox" Reece behind Dj Premier on this Tiny Desk Concert.
Cool as a cucumber. does what needs to be done in such a way it never distracts.
These are the breaks! Oh & dig the roll of gaffer on the snare :cool:

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, just cruising DF like the morning paper and was reading this thread. You folks have given some real thorough answers and education to the post in question. Love it!!! I play most Rockabilly, Western Swing, etc. but found this so informative. I do like hip hop/Disco/Soul music but never get a chance to play it. Great thread!

gbow

Reaction score
For using a real kit, I would highly recommend a yamaha EAD 10. You get all the triggered kick sounds, snare sounds, etc. with a very minimal setup. It's really great for this type of thing.

I would add a snare trigger to it so you can blend the snare trigger with it's stereo mic. Very versatile no hassle set up.

gabo

chillybase

Reaction score
This is a good idea that I'll look into. It may convince me to keep my Sabian 22" Omni as I like the sound of it but feel that it may not be loud enough for most playing situations available to me in town.

For using a real kit, I would highly recommend a yamaha EAD 10. You get all the triggered kick sounds, snare sounds, etc. with a very minimal setup. It's really great for this type of thing.

I would add a snare trigger to it so you can blend the snare trigger with it's stereo mic. Very versatile no hassle set up.

gabo

the_dude

Possibly DFO's Worst Drummer
Reaction score
FWIW...I have the Daru Jone's 12" Ride...its interesting...nice bell and a good hip/hop ride sound...don't love the crash.

Meinl Ambaco(?) hats and Paiste 400 Color sounds (or maybe even any old color sound) have sounds that to me sound a little like analog drum machine cymbals.

If you like Jurassic 5...check out Charli 2 Na's work with Ozomatli (their former drummer Mario used to visit here) and Roots Manuva. Roots is big in the UK and his music is unusual.
I too have the ride. I’m trying to like it but I’m not there yet and not sure I will.