Live streaming options

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have what I hope to be a modest and reasonably priced goal: to do live streaming from my studio/rehearsal space. Nothing over two hours, and realistically, an hour or less total.

Based on the way my space is laid out I am thinking that two cameras will be required. I have a Canon T7i, and was hoping to be able to add something less expensive for the second one. Or, better, grab two reasonably decent web cams. I am thinking 720p will be sufficient since I am more interested in sound quality. Again, I am shooting for reasonable, not optimal. After all, this is to shoot rehearsals and mini performances. I am guessing that I will be capturing the video and sound separately. I am OK with overhead mics. My mixer has USB, but I am using Windows 7 laptops at home. I do have a Windows 10 laptop, but rarely use it because the specialized applications that I use for work run on Win 7.

What is the minimum gear I can make do with? Do I need a dedicated service? Video mixer? Cameras - what should I be looking at. Same with software.

Any advice is gratefully accepted.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I would ask, if you're running multiple cams for a live stream, who will do the switching? This year I managed a project at my church to install a 3-camera live stream setup. We use a Roland video mixer that gets those 3 signals plus a computer input for graphics and song lyrics. But I have to have a dedicated operator for the computer, and another one for the video switcher, and another one for the sound board.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I would ask, if you're running multiple cams for a live stream, who will do the switching? This year I managed a project at my church to install a 3-camera live stream setup. We use a Roland video mixer that gets those 3 signals plus a computer input for graphics and song lyrics. But I have to have a dedicated operator for the computer, and another one for the video switcher, and another one for the sound board.
I was envisioning screen-in-screen, or side-by-side views.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've been using something called Switcher Studio and a collection of iPhones to do multi camera live streaming. Audio comes into a small mixer fed from the main mixer. It's really easy since it's all connected over a private wifi router.

Barden

Reaction score
I have what I hope to be a modest and reasonably priced goal: to do live streaming from my studio/rehearsal space. Nothing over two hours, and realistically, an hour or less total.

Based on the way my space is laid out I am thinking that two cameras will be required. I have a Canon T7i, and was hoping to be able to add something less expensive for the second one. Or, better, grab two reasonably decent web cams. I am thinking 720p will be sufficient since I am more interested in sound quality. Again, I am shooting for reasonable, not optimal. After all, this is to shoot rehearsals and mini performances. I am guessing that I will be capturing the video and sound separately. I am OK with overhead mics. My mixer has USB, but I am using Windows 7 laptops at home. I do have a Windows 10 laptop, but rarely use it because the specialized applications that I use for work run on Win 7.

What is the minimum gear I can make do with? Do I need a dedicated service? Video mixer? Cameras - what should I be looking at. Same with software.

Any advice is gratefully accepted.
Does your mixer's usb connection let you access the audio while playing? Like using ASIO drivers? That would be best because you avoid having to use the soundcard of your laptop.

The biggest cost burden for streaming is the video encoding. Shooting for 720p will help.

Check out OBS. It's a free software that will let you combine your audio, multiple video sources, and more into a video stream. You can make it paneled as well.

If that's what you go with, you will need to do some work to sync up your video and audio, but once you have it dialed in, you're good to go.

drums1225

Reaction score
For mixing multiple camera angles, I was looking into the Blackmagic ATEM Mini (Pro), which allows you to plug in up to 4 cameras via HDMI. It has a USB out and appears to your computer as a single webcam, which you can easily select in any video streaming program, including Zoom, Skype, YouTube, Facebook, etc. It also has an HDMI out, so you can monitor in real time.