LiveBPM App Question

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guys, I read a few old threads where the LiveBPM app was mentioned. It piqued my curiosity. There is not try b4 you buy apparently. I can't figure how this thing works so well in a band or gig situation with all the other noises going on (bass, guitars, crowd, etc). After all, it's using your phone's mic. Does it really work and how/where are you using it? Thanks.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've used it on my tablet and on my phone. I keep either close to the kit and for practice and gigs it works fine.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
i have loaded on a phone and have set mine on top of the bass drum and works great. It does seem to take a couple of beats to register correctly at times. Have also used an arm set off the high hat with good results.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I never play without mine. I use it in all my live gigs and rehearsals with and never had an issue. I showed this to Jeff Campitelli (Satriani's original drummer) and now he uses it and recommends it to all his students. It is well worth the investment! I use it on an old iPhone 7 plus right about my hats, below my iPad (for set list using OnSong). It's actually on all my Apple products for one price.

83725347_10220758621862864_1035041157890965504_o.jpg

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's about $4 and simple to use. Why are you hesitating to try it out? Less than a cup of coffee, and way more useful

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Yep it works a treat. I don’t use it much now, because I’m not gigging, but when I was, I had an old iPhone with it clamped to my hats, next to a Korg Beatlab metronome. Count the song in using the Bestlab’s flashing LEDS and then just monitor the LiveBPM occasionally to see how the tempo is going.

It’s also pretty good to have as collateral when tempo issues gets raised by members of the band. My main original band consistently went a few BPM faster during the chorus’s and would lay back to where we were for the verses. When I first used the app it was immediately apparent and I tried to fight it. Anyway, the LiveBPM displayed the behaviour, then everyone in the band understood what we all did, so we decided to run with it, and the pressure to be tempo perfect evaporated. It was the way our music breathed and the LiveBPM showed it.

Pass on your next coffee, you won’t regret it.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score

Barden

Reaction score
It's a very helpful tool and constantly impresses. Your $4 (or some portion of it) are going back to the individual who programmed the app.

If you have hesitations about its limitations it may be helpful to understand a bit of how it works.

It doesn't register a tempo immediately because it is using a rolling window to make a more accurate estimate. You also set a tempo range because it is locking onto periodic impulses in the audio stream. By technicality your 4/4 rock beat has many periodic impulses that could be perceived as the tempo. They are multiples of each other.

If your tempo is right at the limit of the tempo range setting in the app you can roll over if you cross the threshold.
I commonly run mine with the range at 100-200bpm. If the tempo is at 199 and I speed up two more bpm it will drop to 101. It's just math, but it could be perceived as a problem if you don't know what's going on.

I also like looking at it when other people in the band start a song. It has shown me that some other band members have an excellent sense of time. They pull the same tempo out of the air within +/-0.5bpm every time.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
My bass players have all started looking over at it too. We have a train beat song that starts at 130 that we speed up at the end...the bass player will come over and yell "Let's get 150" we don't always but we at least get up to 145....at the other end of the range played a slow shuffle the other night and the bass player after the song said "Chris and I were grooving at 90 BPM the whole song!"

prplx

Reaction score
As other said, I use it live and in practice all the time. I write the BPM of each song on my set list for live shows, I don't get to anal about it, but it helps making sure we don,t play too fast (happens often with nerves) or too slow.
I would say that one of the thing I prefer about it is that it give you an objective read on the tempo, and every one in a band has an opinion on that. I fought with the bassist an entire song a year or two ago, he felt I was slowing down, and was pushing it in rehearsal, and I told him: I was slowing down gradually cause we started to fast. Don,t fight with me on the tempo, I have the reading here.
So no one ever tells me anymore: I think it was a bit slow, or: didn't we play this one too fast? Cause they know I have an objective number to give them.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Current band all have it loaded, so we are all watching. During practice, we discuss tempos for songs and decide if it feels too slow or fast, we make adjustments. Then we all have the same tempo to reference and adjust accordingly.

Very useful tool.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Note there are other options besides LiveBPM.

There is the Tempo Ref, which I had used for years.

Now, however, DFO member Rick Jones1 manufactures a new product, which is a vastly improved conception of the Tempo Ref. It is more sensitive, and works with brushes--something the Tempo Ref can't handle. It also has a number of user defined settings that make it the clear choice over the Tempo Ref. The icing on the cake is that it has a smaller footprint, so it's less obtrusive.

You can find Rick's product here: https://roktempo.com/ Highly recommended!

Either of these products rely on a piece of Velcro to fasten it to your snare drum head. I have such Velcro on all my snares, as I prefer the RokTempo over all else.

I use LiveBPM when I'm in a situation where I don't have my own snare, and thus no RokTempo or Velcro, such as at a jam. (I assume we all carry our phones everywhere!)

LiveBPM is inexpensive, though it has its quirks. And you'll need a phone bracket to fasten it to something, so add that to the price.

The quirks? I find it has to reset itself often when it "hears" a loud passage counterpoint to the backbeat and thinks you've set a new tempo. You can certainly work through it with about five seconds passing, but I find that annoying. And if you don't buy a phone bracket, you'll be setting it on the floor where it can be stepped or spilled on.

RokTempo 1.jpg

RokTempo 2.jpg

Last edited:

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
And if you don't buy a phone bracket, you'll be setting it on the floor where it can be stepped or spilled on.
I sometimes set mine on the top of the bass drum between the lugs. Stays in place and I can see the readout pretty easily.

Browny

Reaction score
I've used it when recording (rock) and we didn't want to use a click so it could breathe a little, particularly in the kinda ambient bridge build up bit, but also wanted to kinda keep the tempo in check. I just lay it on the floor a little to the left of my hat stand where I could easily see the screen at a glance to make sure I wasn't pushing/pulling the tempo too hard.

Works pretty well. If you change the basic structure of what you're playing - ie all of a sudden start displacing a backbeat, move the ride to dotted 8ths, go to 1/2 time - it can sometimes take a couple of bars to readjust and might go crazy for a bit but usually recovers soon after that.

Oh yeah, remember to turn your phone/device's screen auto lock feature off!

Rick Jones1

Reaction score
Note there are other options besides LiveBPM.

There is the Tempo Ref, which I had used for years.

Now, however, DFO member Rick Jones1 manufactures a new product, which is a vastly improved conception of the Tempo Ref. It is more sensitive, and works with brushes--something the Tempo Ref can't handle. It also has a number of user defined settings that make it the clear choice over the Tempo Ref. The icing on the cake is that it has a smaller footprint, so it's less obtrusive.

You can find Rick's product here: https://roktempo.com/ Highly recommended!

Either of these products rely on a piece of Velcro to fasten it to your snare drum head. I have such Velcro on all my snares, as I prefer the RokTempo over all else.

I use LiveBPM when I'm in a situation where I don't have my own snare, and thus no RokTempo or Velcro, such as at a jam. (I assume we all carry our phones everywhere!)

LiveBPM is inexpensive, though it has its quirks. And you'll need a phone bracket to fasten it to something, so add that to the price.

The quirks? I find it has to reset itself often when it "hears" a loud passage counterpoint to the backbeat and thinks you've set a new tempo. You can certainly work through it with about five seconds passing, but I find that annoying. And if you don't buy a phone bracket, you'll be setting it on the floor where it can be stepped or spilled on.

View attachment 427311

View attachment 427312
Thanks Tom for the plug!
I also wanted to mention that for a limit time each order includes the DrumClip Accessory Adapter, this eliminates the need to put velcro on your drum and allows you to easily attach to a drum that is not yours as Tom mentioned. The Accessory Adapter does reduce the sensitivity, so light brush strokes may not get detected.

Rick

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks Tom for the plug!
I also wanted to mention that for a limit time each order includes the DrumClip Accessory Adapter, this eliminates the need to put velcro on your drum and allows you to easily attach to a drum that is not yours as Tom mentioned. The Accessory Adapter does reduce the sensitivity, so light brush strokes may not get detected.

Rick
Now you tell me! All that wasted Velcro!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
As other said, I use it live and in practice all the time. I write the BPM of each song on my set list for live shows, I don't get to anal about it, but it helps making sure we don,t play too fast (happens often with nerves) or too slow.
I would say that one of the thing I prefer about it is that it give you an objective read on the tempo, and every one in a band has an opinion on that. I fought with the bassist an entire song a year or two ago, he felt I was slowing down, and was pushing it in rehearsal, and I told him: I was slowing down gradually cause we started to fast. Don,t fight with me on the tempo, I have the reading here.
So no one ever tells me anymore: I think it was a bit slow, or: didn't we play this one too fast? Cause they know I have an objective number to give them.

- It stops arguments.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Use my app loaded on my iPhone every rehearsal and gig. I have all the tempos noted and while I don’t stress too much it keeps me and the band at least close to where we should be...and when someone says that was to fast/slow I got the proof ;-)
Mount iphone on my hi hat with this:
iKlip iPhone Mount

Last edited:

Latest posts