Reaction score

Attachments

• liverpoolbandsstgeorgeshall1964caption.jpg
    liverpoolbandsstgeorgeshall1964caption.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 234

kluger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very cool. The camaraderie is a big part of what keeps me going and playing in the bands for the past 35 years, and its evident in this photo the pride and connection they all had . I'm sure they had a blast.
plus , some really cool gear in there. thanks for posting.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen that before. I love the font on that "Mafia" drumhead.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thats a great, great photo. I guess no one ever took the time to match faces to names and make a list. I bet there are some famous bands in that photo.

You know, that must have a been a GREAT time, to be in a band in Liverpool at that time. From what Ive read, they all liked each other and showed each other riffs and such. Alot of drummers from that era speak well of Pete Best, that you could ask him to play for 12 hours straight, and he'd just put his head down and do it.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Took a while to refind this, my apologies. I had to work backward and laterally since I knew Trixons were somehow involved:

Cool interview with Ian Howe, the drummer from a Merseybeat outfit called the Delrenas. He played Trixons at the time.

The picture is captioned thusly (Link follows):
Ian Howe drummer with The Delrenas and The Motifs tell his story of those crazy times. Pictured below is a rare photo of over 100 Liverpool bands pictured outside St Georges Hall in Liverpool. A German TV programme was in Liverpool to make a documentary on the MerseyBeat and offered a £1 for every muso that turned up. It obviously wasn't enough as the other 200 didn't bother to turn up. If you look closely you can see Ian complete with The Motifs bass drum on the extreme left of the picture. See if you can spot Rory Storm.

http://www.liverpoolbeat.com/articles/index.php/greatest-bands/98-the-delrenas

Well this has been more fun than I anticipated. I have been enjoying a little Merseybeat listening and archeology. Really cool stuff...anyway, seems the picture was taken by Astrid Kircherr for Stern Magazine and is famous--who knew.

The Centaurs were a Crosby band, remembered from the now famous photograph of Liverpool Bands taken on the steps of St Georges Hall by Astrid Kirchherr for Stern Magazine in the 1960s. You can see their distinctive drum skin on the bottom left of the picture.

http://www.liverpoolbeat.com/articles/index.php/more-bands/246-the-centaurs

You can pick out Rory Storm dead centre with a couple of his band mates.

I'll stop after this one, promise. I really didn't expect to trip across such cool stuff. Arrow and the Archers (the kids front and centre) good and amusing detail and history:

Last edited by a moderator:

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll bet Ken Browne is in there somewhere along with Jackie Lomax, and Kingsize Taylor, The Foremost and a few others we all probably know.
Thanks for sharing!